Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pathfinders are...
Old 03 May 2007, 16:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Pathfinders are...

Am I missing something? The rail rifles and marker lights are heavy weapons, right? So these guys cannot move around much. Are they too expensive for the utils they add? Having an infiltration move is nice as you can keep your opponent from putting something in that area.

So my fellow Tau players, where do you find Pathfinders are useful, and where are they speedbumps?
Old 03 May 2007, 17:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Pathfinders are...

I find them usefull, but I still have a hard time deploying them in a way as to assure their survival and effectiveness.

Last game, I deployed them using the recon special rule into a 2 story building in the center of the field. I miscalculated the space marines weapon range after their 6 inchs movement and my Pathfinders got shot up real bad. I had 3 survivers that had to dash back to their devilfish parked behind the building.

I planned to use them to lunch a few Seeker missils and deep strike my XV8 suits. I guess they failed hehe.
Old 03 May 2007, 18:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Pathfinders are, to me, the most important unit in the Tau army. I like to sit them behind my Fire Warriors, and give the Marker shots to them. The devilfish is then brilliant when used in a harrassing/suicide or skimmer wall manouveur.
Old 03 May 2007, 18:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by XV18
Pathfinders are, to me, the most important unit in the Tau army. I like to sit them behind my Fire Warriors, and give the Marker shots to them. The devilfish is then brilliant when used in a harrassing/suicide or skimmer wall manouveur.
So you protect the marker lights with a screen, and use the skimmer as a free unit? Interesting. Are the rail rifles capable of target lock? I forget if thy have that.
Old 03 May 2007, 18:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Markerlights on pathfinders make them awesome.

since they don't have to move much, they don't mind sitting in cover with good LOS to the field. - just dont hesitate to relocate them with the DF if the enemy guns after them... with that said, dont put them in that much harm's way either. put them to the side some where, and let their rng 36" guns do the work.

their power lies in 3 xv8/PR/FB/Mtrk hitting on 2+, or 18 carbine rounds hitting on 2+ from a JsJ unit, or any other number of insane combos

Any unit that gets lit up with 4 or more mklight hits will feel 48 pulse rounds (2 FoF) coming at them, hitting on 2+.

I've run the math, it doesn't pay off mathematically, but some how it always work on the table.
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2007, 19:38   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

My Pathfinders always die by turn 3. IF they survive beyond then, it is a miracle.

They always do their job though, markerlighting everything and let my other units kill the markerlighted item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2007, 19:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Pathfinders with rail rifles are generally a waste. There are several cheaper ways to get that or better weaponry.

Pathfinders are reasonably high point cost/squishyness. I tend to throw a coupla gun drones on them to eat a few hits, and obviously, they stay in cover. The DF acts as a wall/burst cannon platform. Often it annoys people enough to devote precious AT weaponry to killing it. The drones are deployed first turn, and do their best to die in a variety of ways.

Pathfinders are sadly, not mobile at all. In fact, it strikes me as odd that a team with all heavy weapons would be listed as fast attack. No complaints though, I don't want it anywhere else.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2007, 23:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well When I bought my path finders I did not know how useless they could be on the battle field and I have not used them at all. I have five and 2 with rail rifles. Never used them. :'(

(\_/) this is bunny
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination
Greater good or bust. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2007, 23:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Never use pathfinders as speed bumps as the markerlights are too good to throw away like that. Set them up on a nice peice of terrian with good vantage point and start marking some targets. use their devilfish to run amock in theior deployment zone stalling some units back allowing your main force to deal with the enemy piecemeal. Or use the pathfinder devilfish as a sheild for some of your units.

Crisis 541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2007, 23:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Funshade

Here is the deal. Most people think Hey pathfinders! sounds like they are good and the run them up into a building way in front of the army. That is the worst idea ever. i love my path finders. but you have to remember that their heavy markerlight is holy crap! 36" now why do you need it half way across the map.

just put them with the rest of your guys. and say good luck to any one who try to get close to them. i have my fire warriors sniper drones and broadsides next to each other. if some units try and hunker down into a building close by they get a face full of about 3 markerlights just from my path finders. 2 for BS making them hit 83% of the shots hit. then one last one to reduce their cover save by 1 making it a 5 cover save.

The rail rifles are pointless for 3 guys thats 66 points and the one extra you have to take is 78 points just for the pathfinders. sniper drone team is 80 points and much better.

I even equip them with EMP grenades allowing them to take out tanks when absolutely necessary. my army list has many markerlighters. Pathfinders. skyray. and sniper drone teams. and when tau work on numbers a high BS from markerlights is Fing GODLIKE

Lets take a squad of 12 FWs mostly 6 will hit on 4+ 1 markerlight makes 8 hit. then 10 hit. so each markerlight can be worth 2 shots each. now lets put them in rapid fire range. each one is worth 4 hits. If you got those annoying IG in a 4 save bunker 3 markerlights removes their saves making them open picking.

I dont take Targeting arrays. i take markerlights
I have half the weight
I will have five times the stamina
~those who never louse... always win~
Funshade is offline   Reply With Quote