Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Defense!!1
Old 03 May 2007, 14:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Defense!!1

i am defending a bridge and i like to know what is a good tactic or some units that i should use
Shas_O Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2007, 14:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Defense!!1

I'd let them move on the bridge, just at the start of the 30inch range of my FW (2 squad of 6) with interlocking field of fire. Add more units depending on what you got. Once they are concentrated on the bridge, they got nowhere to run except back and forward. Shoot them and Tank Shock them.
Old 03 May 2007, 15:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

What are you likely to be going against? How much terrain are you expecting? Against GEq, I'd go with Stealth Suits and keep laying templates down on the mouth of the bridge where all the troops are bunched up. Against MEq, Broadsides and crisis Suits IMO. And against TEq, same same with Piranhas to take down the transports.

And if there's a lot of terrain, go up to meet them and steadily fall back while firing if they don't have any fast units(ie asault marines).
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2007, 17:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, I always find Hammerheads VERY useful in bridge missions. All the clustered units in a small area just fall right underneath those pieplates on the railgun. Other than that, deploying a lot of Fire Warriors doesn't do any harm, and neither do pathfinders. (Especially since you can use their devilfish to suicide-run the bridge and block their LOS when they destroy it/you land it.)

Oh, as a note, me and my friends play quite a few bridge missions (Our best one was a city of canals, like Venice. City fight, with loads of choke-points.) I've got bridge mission special rules somewhere on the site:

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=36866.0
Old 03 May 2007, 18:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

One more question; are yo trying to defen the bridge, or keep the enemy to one side? You may want to have a Ninj'O and have him assault any units on the bridge(if you have to keep them on one side). It'll keep the O safe from return-fire and keep all of the enemy on the opposite side of the bridge. And IIRC, only units within 2" of your model may attack him, so you may not have to worry too much of a powerfist the first turn. This works out even better against GEq, as you can attack with the Kroot and jump in/out with the commander(and not necessarily have to fret about the kroot who knows, you may even get to consolidate, and if the enemy squadcan't retreat, I think they're all removed...).
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2007, 18:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'd sacrifce a devilfish by sending it onto teh brige to block the way across. It should hover but not move. it may get shot down, but it is still in teh way. it will stop tanks and slow infantry.

Better yet, take 2 devilfish/hammerheads and swap them out each trun on bridge guard duty, so they both count as moving fast. feel free to tankshock enemy infantry as well.
Rapid Fire

Gets 'em every time

Bustafer Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2007, 20:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

oooh bridge missions are fun with tau ;D
but yeah it really depends on who your fighting and what your doing

if the enemy tries to cross the bridge then put fire warriors every where and cover the bridge in pulse fire.

keep a couple broadsides in back or a rail head to knock out any tanks, if the enemy does have tanks try to let them get about half way cross the bridge or a little farther to try and funnel or completely block off the bridge. its great to have an enemy march all the way across the bridge, spear headed by a huge tank, just to get blocked off and get caught under pulse fire with no way of returning fire.

bring some sniper drones and some pathfinders for the railrifles to pick apart anything too tough.

crisis teams are a must but its kind of tough to figure out what to give them. if the enemy has lots of infantry try using a couple crisis with flamers, burst cannons, shield drones and what ever else you want. run them up and down the bridge constantly hosing down the enemy with plasma and flame but don't get too close to anything with a lot of fire power.

if the enemy doesn't try to cross the bridge then try to force him to cross it. bring a few rail heads and maybe a sky ray and lob a few long range shells into a few sensitive areas. eventually, if the enemy is smart, he will get up and move.

if the bridge is short enough or if there is more then one way across and if the enemy doesn't have an absolutely giant force on the other side then you might want to bring a few Parana and devil fish and try to rush any of the enemy artillery.

i don't think you will have much use for kroot or stealth teams

other then that keep then enemy scrunched up, under fire, on the bridge and pin them as much as possible

as long as they don't have any skimmers and your not playing with deep strike rules then it should be a cake walk since your playing tau
cruton is offline   Reply With Quote