Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau XV25 Markerlight
Old 03 May 2007, 12:38   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Tau XV25 Markerlight

Tau codex states that you can upgrade 1 in 3 XV25's and take a markerlight at +10pts.
But in the battleforce set you recieve a Markerlight Drone which as seperate wargear should cost 30pts. Does this mean you get a Markerlight drone at 10pts or something else?
grim93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2007, 12:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Tau XV25 Markerlight

Hi grim93,
welcome here!

I guess you are mixing 3 things up:

1. 1 of 3 members of XV25 Team may exchange his Burst Cannon with a Fusion Blaster.
2. Only XV25 Shas'vre can take the Markerlight for +10 points (after he has been upgraded to this status for 10 points above standard Shas'ui cost).
3. The Markerlight Drone is a separate thing to take - the Markerlight is a Support System for the XV25, taken and worn on the Suit; the Markerlight Drone however can only be taken with a Drone Controller and is fielded and accounted for separately from the XV25 Suit's equipment (but belonging to the XV25 squad).
Old 03 May 2007, 13:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

and it also sucks. leave marker drones off mobile units, even though 12 cloaked markerlights would be funny... and somewhat useless :P
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2007, 13:21   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

So should be a total of 50pts and then the Shas'vre is accompanied by the Markerlight drone?

Thanks
grim93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2007, 13:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim93
So should be a total of 50pts and then the Shas'vre is accompanied by the Markerlight drone?

Thanks
Yes, XV25 Shas'vre with Burst Cannon and Markerlight is 50 without 1 or 2 Drones (each would be 10).

Old 03 May 2007, 17:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

You can shave off 5pts by just going with the team leader, he has the same options as the Shas'vre. The shas'vre's only bonus is his better WS and I (like that's ever going to be usefull :).
Old 03 May 2007, 20:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to halohog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyeti
2. Only XV25 Shas'vre can take the Markerlight for +10 points (after he has been upgraded to this status for 10 points above standard Shas'ui cost).
Thought i would just mention that Team Leader and Shas'vre upgrade are in fact 10 points together, only half of that for the Team Leader option.

So total 50pts for shas'vre XV25 with ML, then if desired, 80pts with a marker drone. I think that's a little overpriced personally, but I'm sure someone could argue overwise...

And correct me if I'm wrong, but that means you get fusion blaster/burst cannon AND a standard-issue markerlight, right?

Weapons skill could be useful, though, Orange. Initiative doesn't matter much, I grant you, but that one extra weapon skill could mean that you get one more dead assaulter BEFORE they can hit you (I thank stealth field for this), which could save a suit. Which means more hits or shots next turn. Yay for stealth fields!!!
Old 03 May 2007, 20:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

If they're attacking you, odds are very good that they either have frag grenades, or a WS sufficiently high to not care if you have 2 or 3.

Yes, Markerlight + Markerdrones on stealth teams are obscenely expensive.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2007, 23:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

I actually have something along those lines that I like to use. This seems incredibly expensive, but I have found that this unit devastates several times it's points cost.

3 Stealth suits with 2 Target locks, Team leader with Targ.Array + markerlight + bond: 130 points

This might seem like a lot, but I use it for a very specific purpose. This team can infiltrate, which grants them much better cover-finding abilities than other units. Plunk them down in some ruins, and watch the fun begin. That BS4 markerlight makes a HUGE difference tactically, as I almost always have line on to one of their tanks. I usually make a point to place it in a place that (seemingly) is out of reach of ANY of his forces (while giving them much richer target choices by way of Kroot squads.

This stealth team is dedicated to picking out tanks, and letting them get hammered by seeker missiles. Usually this team takes down 2-3 enemy vehicles and a smattering of infantry before it dies. With the ability to divide fire allowing that markerlight to still be used even when supressing fire is required, the security of infiltrating into cover, and a VERY long range, this team is more efficient at destroying light-medium vehicles than a deep-striking crisis suit, and can still double as a accu-lighter in a pinch.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote