Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is it truly possible for a 'guaranteed' win with Tau?
Old 02 May 2007, 21:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Is it truly possible for a 'guaranteed' win with Tau?

A friend of mine claims that he's actually gotten bored with his Tau Empire army because he 'wins too often' and opponents have little chance of actually defeating him. He's a long-time GW employee, so I'm not doubting that he has hundreds of games under his belt, if not thousands. I've been playing 40K for about 4 months now and have roughly a dozen or so battles under my belt. As a newb Tau Empire player, have about a 60% win ratio, which I consider alright. Deepstriking marines, Necrons or a Nidzilla army are things that give me trouble, but he gloated that if he fought a Nidzilla army, "...nothing would be left by turn 3."

He doesn't want to let all of his tricks out of the bag, since we will square off against one another this weekend, but could anyone help me understand how someone could virtually all but guarantee winning to the point of becoming bored with an army?

My only thought would be quantity over quality, in our upcoming 1000 point tourny. I was thinking of 4 groups of 12 FW's, bonded and markerlit. Perhaps 48 S5 shots per round would eventually erode *anything*, but asides from that, I'm puzzled....

Thanks in advance.
krupintupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2007, 21:28   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Is it truly possible for a 'guaranteed' win with Tau?

Well, there are a lot of tricks that require a great deal of practice to pull off. An expert Dark Eldar player is also extremely difficult to beat, even though the Dark Eldar list can be very hard to win with as a beginner. I am not sure that I can believe 100% win ratios against Tyranids or Necrons, though. Not unless he just doesn't have any other opponents with his level of experience.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2007, 21:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well what do you have in your army. I think that nidzilla has lots of Carnifexs of some thing so just add railguns. A Railhead would be great against light troops and termagaunts and things while broadsides take out the big ones.

What does he have in his army and what do you have?

(\_/) this is bunny
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination
Greater good or bust. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2007, 21:59   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greater good or bust.
Well what do you have in your army. I think that nidzilla has lots of Carnifexs of some thing so just add railguns. A Railhead would be great against light troops and termagaunts and things while broadsides take out the big ones.

What does he have in his army and what do you have?
The problem I have always had with that reasoning is that a Carnifex in cover will not go down from a Railgun shot. Or even three Hammerheads firing at him. And a wounded Carnifex can still shoot at you with some nice Strength 10 weaponry, He doesn't have much chance of killing you, but he can pretty easily stop you from shooting again. And enough Glances are still going to kill you. But yeah, I think Broadsides are a better bet. But then again, Broadsides are easy to insta-kill. Carnifexes are immune to it. That can make a pretty big difference in a shoot-out. I think the shooty carnifexes were among the worst mistakes GW made with that list. It completely changed the character of the original Screamer-Killer. They were supposed to be close-quarters line-breakers, but lately I have been seeing them used mostly as artillery.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2007, 22:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

he's obviously never met an experienced Eldar player either. Eldar tanks can actually take a hit. What's the employees list like. I'm curious now... Tell him all the Tau players want a detailed list of an undefeatable player
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2007, 02:32   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

In wargames as in all war, assuming you are always going to win has lead to the most tremendous of blunders. Such attitudes allowed the British to be cut to pieces by clever tacticians such as Shaka Zulu.
Kuunlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2007, 02:47   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I think that this employee is just like my tau hating, cheating, thinks he is perfect, nemisis (cept dis guy dont play tau, just nids, chaos, and marines). He's not even that good!

You know our world is screwed, the sun is exploding, the ozon layer melting, a huge meteor on its way to kill us, and we just want to blow ourselves up............yup I think were ****ed.........
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2007, 02:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Funshade

it wouldent be a game to have a guaranteed win ever. if there was then no one would play agiesnt tau and Games workshop would make tau less powerful.
I have half the weight
I will have five times the stamina
~those who never louse... always win~
Funshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2007, 04:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

I wouldn't go so far as to say that all matches involving tau are guaranteed wins...but some are.

If I face chaos at 500pts, I assume Ive won before deployment starts. Thus, I dont do these matches unless its for a tournament, for which I rejoice.

Another example of a victory was looking at my opponents list for a 1500pt game, and realizing his only lascannon was on a dreadnaught(drop pod list), and that I had four skimmers(three hammerheads and a DF). He was pretty much just screwed prior to the game actually beginning. The same is true of orkish swarm armies.

It is not, however, true of everything. A solid guard, necron, nid list can really be a challenge if it's competently played. As an example, I lost a game to a genestealer/fex list last night. Did I have to lose? No...I was doing pretty solid until I forgot to move my skimmer wall one turn. I screwed up, and thus, deserved the loss. Would it have been easier if I'd had more than two broadsides? Sure, but its not as if I knew exactly what he'd be taking.

That said, Nine broadsides can eat a coupla carnifexes a turn, easy. Given some solid supporting fire from the rest of the army, I could see a godzilla list taking a severe first turn pounding.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2007, 09:54   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

A deepstriking unit of Helios is a good way to kill any lone Fexes that have been softened up.
Falconrider is offline   Reply With Quote