Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Suitable for Tournament?
Closed Thread
Old 18 Feb 2005, 22:03   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Suitable for Tournament?

There's a Tourny coming up in my city and i want to go outand start buying/painting more models to meet the 1300 point requirement So far the list i think i want to use is the following:

Unnamed1300 Pts - Tau Army

1 Commander Shas'el (HQ) @ 81 Pts
Fusion Blaster; Missile Pod; Multi-Tracker

3 Crisis Battlesuit Team (Elites) @ 205 Pts
Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker; Bonded

2 Crisis Battlesuit Team (Elites) @ 130 Pts
Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker

3 Stealth Team (Elites) @ 135 Pts
Burst Cannon (x3)

1 Team Leader @ [45] Pts
Burst Cannon; Markerlight

11 Fire Warriors (Troops) @ 225 Pts
Pulse Rifle (x11)

1 Shas'ui @ [30] Pts
Pulse Rifle; Markerlight

1 Devilfish Dropship @ [85] Pts
Burst Cannon; Landing Gear
#Pair of Gun Drones [0]
Decoy Launcher [5]

11 Fire Warriors (Troops) @ 225 Pts
Pulse Rifle (x11)

1 Shas'ui @ [30] Pts
Pulse Rifle; Markerlight

1 Devilfish Dropship @ [85] Pts
Burst Cannon; Landing Gear
#Pair of Gun Drones [0]
Decoy Launcher [5]

15 Kroot Carnivores (Troops) @ 105 Pts
Kroot Rifle

1 Hammerhead Gunship (Heavy Support) @ 185 Pts
Ion Cannon; Two Burst Cannons; Landing Gear
#Targetting Array [0]
Multi-tracker [10]
Decoy Launcher [5]
Seeker Missile(x4) [40]

Models in Army: 56

Total Army Cost: 1291

Ive been doing some research and about 80% of the other armies are going to be space marines. So i figured i should try to be as mobile as possible and bring as much plasma as i can to the battle. also that is why i opted to put the Ion cannon on my Hammerhead my plan is going to be infiltrate my stealths withing 18'' of the enemy unit i want dead the most then use the markerlight to paint them and fire away with the other's burst cannons and then use the markerlight shot for the ion cannon hitting at 2+, that should kill about 2 or hopefully 3 marines. Also, i decided that it would be pointless to bond the 2 man fireknife team b/c either the squad is gonna be at 100%, 50%, or all dead, so there would not be any point.

Also I know that many of you frown upon my fusion blaster HQ and seeker missles but those are just there in case there's something heavy(ie tanks) that need to be dealt with, i figure i can sneak up on tanks with my HQ if i'm careful so he can't get targetted and do some damage. I was wondering how you almighty all knowing tau wisemen think of my list and if i should make any changes/additions. Also of note is that there is 1 necron army and 2 ork armies in the tourny too, so there's a chance i might end up against one of those players too.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 22:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Suitable for Tournament?

Ack! Get rid of all the point values that AB included b/c you're violating GW's IP.

I think the list looks pretty good although I'd still probably take a railgun and dump the seeker missiles b/c statistically the ion cannon isn't going to kill appreciably more marines than a submunition shot (the difference is only about 1 marine per turn) and it greatly reduces your ability to deal with big nasties like tooled up daemon princes, greater daemons, wraithlords, and armored carnifexes.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 22:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

SeamonkeyJack:

It looks solid to me, except a LandRaider is going to give you a huge problem, especially a crusader. And if space marines are going to be prevalent, I would expect to see some thick armour out there. In that case, you will have a hard time dealing with FA13 and A14. The ion cannon is awesome for busting powerarmour, from range, but honestly, a railgun might be a god-send to this list. I'd have recommend the railgun for the hammerhead, or else suggest a broadside in there somewhere as your fusion blaster isn't going to get close enough to hurt that landraider, should they field one. Also, your entire list is going to only be glancing on 6's all the A13's that you come up against.

I think for a tournament level game, I'd drop the markerlights and seeker missiles in this case. The markerlight is heavy, so the mobile unit isn't going to make much use of them, and all that will use it really are the stealth suits. But that's only 1 seeker a turn to start with, and only half the time. I think you'll have seeker missiles left over by the end of the game, which hurts you're points.

Personally, taking on marines, I would simply take twin-linked plasma suits instead and take railguns for the armours. I think that stealths are best used to harrass, as for the amount of points you invest in them, they will not accomplish much, but at least they can claim quarters and survive a long time hopefully.

Something more like:

Hq: Shas'el, MP/FB; MT
Elite1: XV8x3; TL-PR/Flamer
Elite2: XV8x3; TL-PR/Flamer
Elite3: XV15x5
Troop1: FWx12; Shas'ui; Devilfish; DL
Troop2: FWx12; Shas'ui; Devilfish; DL
Troop3: Krootx16
Heavy1: HH; Railgun; BustCannons; MT/DL

Just for quick reference without really swaping units around for you.

Good luck!
Old 19 Feb 2005, 03:30   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hey Thanks for the imput guys. I played a game today and i realized how good the rest of my army is at killing space marines by themselve so i don't think i'll really need the ion, so i'm gonna drop the markers and seeker and bump up my stealths
Old 19 Feb 2005, 08:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah, show them what a rail gun can do. ;D

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 19 Feb 2005, 20:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

you might however need a little more Anti tank.. just add in a XV88 and it should be enough..