Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How to Beat Fish of Fury?
Old 02 May 2007, 10:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default How to Beat Fish of Fury?

I was looking at the fish of fury tactic, and how can you actually stand a chance of beating or finding a weakness in it, considering the fish is in the way of shooting and theres a huge 34 S5 shots or so, so how can I make stopping it as easy as shooting fish in a barrel??
Dire Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2007, 11:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default Re: How to Beat Fish of Fury?

Fast assaulters, jetbikes, things that can move at least 12" a turn.
Vehicles, as they can ignore the priority check that the 'Fish cause.

Shoot down the 'Fish as early as possible. (after hammerheads/sky rays/fusion piranhas though) Fire everything until it dies.
Basically throw everything plus the kitchen sink at your target. Fight fire with fire.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2007, 11:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Avenger
I was looking at the fish of fury tactic and how can you actually stand a chance of beating or finding a weakness in it? considering the fish is in the way of shootin and theres a huge 44 S5 shots?? Another example of the Taus over powered abilitys?
Actually there are a number of standard ways to defeat the FoF:

1. Return fire. I'm not sure how you are getting 44 shots, as 12 FW, 2 drones and a DF at 12" will only deliver 32 shots. But, return fire is often very effective. I am going to assume you are playing eldar, so you have no save against pulse rifles with your basic troops. First recognize the Tau are in the open and no in cover. So any weapon with an AP4 will instakill the Tau. Eldar don't have many of these, but you do have things like the shirkin storm, dark reapers, etc. Concentrate your firepower on the FW.

2. Assault. The better option for most armies is simply to assault. You need fast movers, and eldar have lots of these. What makes the FoF work is that it is impossible to move around the DF and be within assault range for normal troops. Not so with fleet of foot, jump packs, and fast skimmers. a fleet move of 2" is enough to get plain old guardians around the DF for assault. So charge!

3. Recognize the DF potential and plan to counter it. This is the most effective way of neutralizing the FoF. If you see a DF lurking around, and you can't devote AT shots at it, move a fast unit to where it can intercept it. If the Tau player is any good, he'll recognize this and be learly of dismounting. Often if the Tau player is using the FoF he has made a concious decision that loosing the FW is preferable to whatever they are ment to counter. If the Tau player isn't very good, you'll be able to jump the FW in your turn and route them.

Remember, Tau don't like CC. Tau also can't do stand up firefights with SM, Dire avengers, or orky shooters at 12" on a model for model basis.

Hope this helps.
W
Shaso Wanax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2007, 12:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Funshade

Pretty much jump infantry can jump over the fish defeating the main propouse of the tatic. now If you do play eldar. one of the things i always hated is thoes damn swooping hawks. the gernades they drop will compleatly kill any fw as they can only come out 2 inches making them considerably clusterd for a large blast marker
I have half the weight
I will have five times the stamina
~those who never louse... always win~
Funshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2007, 15:51   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

With Dire Avengers, you are actually going to be slightly better at it than Tau are. Try unloading two Wave Serpents full of Dire Avengers and pulling a Bladestorm with both. You will have many more shots and at much longer range. And you don't have to worry so much about being charged, because you aren't Tau.

The best way for you to stop it is to use cover effectively, and make sure that you have enough fast units to support the weaker sections of your line. You can't really pull off a Fish of Fury if there is another unit of Banshees or Jetbikes nearby.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2007, 18:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Dropping a termie squad with some heavy flamers usually does the trick, if you can pinpoint your drop coodinates. Do that right and there will be no tau left. Range is a major factor there, though, and it won't work if you are playing eldar. It's real funny when someone pulls it off, though. Not to the Tau player, mind you.

You can also do this by using a bait unit backed up by a dread. with hvy. flamer, or by cruising in with a flamer landspeeder from and unexpected angle. The heavy bolter should finish off any survivors.
Rapid Fire

Gets 'em every time

Bustafer Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2007, 18:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustafer Jones
Dropping a termie squad with some heavy flamers usually does the trick, if you can pinpoint your drop coodinates. Do that right and there will be no tau left. Range is a major factor there, though, and it won't work if you are playing eldar. It's real funny when someone pulls it off, though. Not to the Tau player, mind you.

You can also do this by using a bait unit backed up by a dread. with hvy. flamer, or by cruising in with a flamer landspeeder from and unexpected angle. The heavy bolter should finish off any survivors.
Land Speeders can't take a heavy flamer and a heavy bolter. Its a Multi melta and flamer or bolter and assault cannon.

Eldar can pull off the range, Dire Avengers out range the rapid fire of Firewarriors and the Wave Serpent is significantly better armed than the Devilfish, twin linked bright lances or missiles into the Devilfish or multiple shuriken cannons into the Firewarriors and a squad of Avengers using Blade Storm, if I'm remembering the exarch ability right, to outgun the Tau. Next turn when they can't fire the avengers jump back in their transport and skim off, leaving a lot of dead Tau and perhaps a smoking Devilfish wreck too.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2007, 18:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yes, my eldar freind refers to his DE/WS combo as either the BFF "bigger fish feasting" or simply BF "bigger fish". His theory is "big fish little pond", but he still hasn't figured out all the AT coming from my side yet.

In other words, he jumps out and shoot up somthing, then his ship gets stunned, immobilized, or destoryed on multiple glance shots. Now he has an expensive 18" range unit with 5+ save standing around in the open

But he is getting better at coordination between units, and this is afterall the key to any mobile attack or counter. Think of how many units can counterattack rather than one on one. The combination that obviously works best is shoot them up with one unit and assault them with another.

W
Shaso Wanax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2007, 19:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You can't, the fish of fury tactic has no counter move. It is omnipitent.

Ok seriously Tau skimmers are not as durable as Eldar skimmers so you have an advantage already. Secondly if we can shoot you you can shoot us so use weapons with AP 4 and we will take casualties.

However most good mech tau players will never give your str 5 weapons a shot at their Fire Warriors, I have played many games where I have never deployed my FW from their Fish and when I do I always do it in a manner that screens them from most of my opponents anti infantry weapons
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2007, 19:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Another thing you can try is war walkers. They can take two of the same weapon without twin linking and one of the Eldar Guns (scatter laser I want to say but maybe I'm wrong) has something like four high strength shots per turn, take two of them on each of two or three war walkers and you can effectively send out 8-12 high strength shots a turn to help gun down any Firewarriors that do show their face through sheer rate of fire.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote