Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

HEAVY METAL!
Closed Thread
Old 18 Feb 2005, 18:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default HEAVY METAL!

...Or, less misleadingly, "Imperial Armour".

After acquiring a temporary copy of this little gem, I've given a thought to perhaps doing a small evaluation of the units inside.* I know not everyone uses Imperial Armour units, but considering how well they've done building them...* well, it'd be a crime not to at least showcase a few!

(Flyers will be left for another time and another review; as stands, the rules for flyers dictate more about use than anything else. Besides, they're **********EXPENSIVE!*********** Too expensive to see most people playing with 'em normally!)

Specifically from the Update 2004 book, IA introduces a number of units that are just fantastic, both in models and in capabilities.* Though I am not certain about the specifics of posting stats as it relates to IA items, I'll assume it shouldn't be done, and do my best accordingly.* On with the show!

IA introduces a coupe of new vehicles and units for the Tau; most are Heavy Support, but the Tau-allied Kroot also get a fresh boost in the form of the Knarlocs and Great Knarlocs.

####################

Heavy Support:* * *Heavy Gun Drones

Squad Size: 2-6 Drones

For most people, the thing that comes to mind most quickly when considering a Tau force are suits and Drones.* From IA, we recieve the Heavy Gun Drones, tougher satellite plates armed with twin-linked Burst Cannons, with the not-so-great option of replacing one of those for a Markerlight.* Though they suffer from the normal low BS of the regular drone, they still have all of the available options the original Gun Drones do, though a point less on Leadership values.* With squads 2-6 members strong, they only drop to Ld 4 status when they are below four units in strength.* At slightly over twice the cost of a standard Drone, as well as a Heavy Support slot, their use is something of a personal or army-theme call.* Initiative is still the same strong high, but with a Marine-equiavalent Toughness to boot!

Judgement:* Not bad at all for a Drone-heavy army.* Might actually be more survivable in Close Combat than normal Drones, and *nobody* wants six twin-linked Burst Cannons deep-striking to their doorstep!* On the other hand, you pay for the quality...* And the Heavy Support slot lost might not look so good compared to lost Hammerheads or Broadsides.

####################

Heavy Support:* * Drone Sentry Turrets

Squad Size: 1-4 Independent Vehicles

Drones with TEETH!* The Second Evolution of the Drone, the Sentry Turrets still suffers from the absolutely rotten Ballistic Skill normal Drones do.* In *this* case however, the twin-linking applies to EVERY gun it carries.* (Which, admittedly, is only one pair)* When the norm is Burst Cannon, with options to build up to Fusion Blasters, Plasma Guns, and Missile Pods however, things get much more painful MUCH more quickly!

Sentry Turrets are classified as vehicles; they carry better armor than the Marine Predator, with the option to add a Shield Generator at the same cost as a standard Crisis Suit.* This gives a 4+ save *before* Armor Penetration rolls are made.* Though they count as open-topped in the turn AFTER they fire, they can refrain from firing (or get hit with a Crew Shaken/stunned result) and "Turtle Down" into a complete, hard-cased piece of defensive workmanship.* And because the Sentry Turret is immobile anyway, being Immobilized again does nothing but count as damage for victory points for the enemy!

Sadly, the Sentry Turret can't capture objectives or occupy table quarters.* On the other hand, the ability to Deep Strike (at an additional +1 point per Turret) means these terrors can help deny such objectives to the enemy as well.* However, one particular facet of Deep Striking gives the Sentry Turrets more than their worth...* Markerlight Targeting.* A unit with a Markerlight can forgo its round of fire to paint a location in range and LOS to the Marker for a Deep Striking Turret; this allows the Turret to land *with no scatter whatsoever** Coming into their own with a Pathfinder team, eight Turrets, complete with Fusion Blasters/Plasma Guns/Missile Pods can drop straight into the heart of your enemy force.* Armor makes these units survivable, and the weapons make them a threat that could never be ignored!

As a final note, in Cityfight scenarios or Scenarios that allow fortifications, Sentry Drones can be taken as TROOPS choices!* I leave that wicked delight to the imagination of the reader....* At 45 points apiece, these would be a bargain.* Even taking up a Heavy Support slot, if these were a mainstream unit I'd never leave home without a squad.* They are expensive, immobile, and can't hold objectives, but there simply isn't a better Force Multiplier for the Tau.* They are "assault units" in the way a Tau assault unit should be.

#######################################

Heavy Support: Sky Ray

Size: 1 Vehicle

The Sky Ray is the Tau anti-aircraft tank, so its inclusion is a bit strange...* Strange until a closer review is underway!* Armed with 6 Seeker Missiles, a twin-linked Markerlight, and a Smart Missile System, it is a fire support tank worthy of the name.* While only the Skyray can launch its own missiles, a single proper Markerlight lock can see ALL SIX launched in one blazing salvo of glory!

Unfortunately, the downside is it is only *one* blazing salvo of glory.* After Six Seekers, the Sky Ray is down to being an underarmed Hammerhead at the cost of 200 points.* Worse, it can't carry the perennial Gun Drones that helps ungun other Tau tanks.* The Sky Ray is a beautiful tank (and also subject to Magnetic Switcharound!), but is sadly far too expensive for what it does.* The Ray isn't useless on an aircraft-free battlefield, but its a 200 points that might be better spent on something else...

################################

FAST ATTACK:* Kroot Knarloc Riders

Squad Size: 0-1, 3-6 Riders

Knarlocs turn the Kroot into something even more fearsome than before:* true assault troops.* 0-1 Knarloc Riders can be part of the normal Tau force *OR* the Kroot Mercenary army in unlimited numbers.* They have the same base stats of the Kroot, with two Strength 5 attacks and one (the Rider) at Strength 4.* Leadership comes at an 8, though the save is still a very weak 6+.* They are still Eaters of the Dead, and thus requiring a leadership check to pursue and overrun their opponents.* Also, Knarlocs of any shape and size can only be included if there is also a Carnivore squad in the army as well.* The Riders operate as an independent squad however, not a part of a Kroot Carnivore Squad!

On the other hand, they have many strengths.* Knarloc Riders are Cavalry, and Fleet of Foot to boot!* In addition, they have the standard Kroot Fieldcraft ability, and thus can take full advantage of woods and jungles, gaining the cover whilst being unaffected by difficult terrain.* 3 Wounds help save the day, and a Toughness of 4 doesn't hurt either.

#######################################

Heavy Support:* Great Knarloc- Mounted

Squad Size:* 0-1, 1-3 Great Knarlocs, each with Two Riders

And then the Big Grandpappy of the little Gnarlocs.* THIS monster is the Tau's answer to the Kroot, Godzilla, and anyone else with a Giant Monster syndrome.* (Well, almost...)* As Heavy Support Choices, these are a 0-1 choice for both the Tau and the Kroot Mercenary Armies.* Keep in mind, Knarlocs of any shape and size can only be included if there is also a Carnivore squad in the army as well; however, the Knarloc squad does *NOT* add to the Carnivores.* They are a squad unto themselves!

At 70 apiece base, these are going to require a little bit of caution to use; on the other hand, Strength 6 *Rending*, Toughness 5, and five Wounds make these terrors something that is *not* going down without a great deal of effort on the enemy's part!* Add Kroot Fieldcraft and Fleet of Foot to these behemoths and it truly gives your opponent something to squeal in terror about!

Mounting massive guns to the tops of their riding monsters is nothing new to the Kroot, and that line of reasoning still prevails with the Great Knarloc.* Armed initially with a simple harpoon gun (Str 4, AP -, Assault 2), the Tau can help them upgrade this unassuming weapon into a real terror, using Explosive-tipped bolts!* (Str 6, AP6, Assault 2/Blast)!* Or one can simply slap a twin-linked Kroot Gun to the top, with all the stats of the Krootox' Gun.

All in all, this is another choice for the Heavy Supports, but again well-worthy of consideration.* For anyone who wants some extra "bite" in their Kroot Allies, it doesn't get any bigger, any better, than this!

I've tried to avoid posting pure stats as much as possible, both for courtesy to Imperial Armor and because the IA Update 2004 book is definitely worth finding, if possible!* Any comments, thoughts, considerations are welcomed and appreciated!* Also, there are other units in the IA book I have not mentioned; those here are to whet the appetite, and draw out those strategic thinkers among us all.

Cheers!
Old 18 Feb 2005, 18:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: HEAVY METAL!

The turrets and Knarlocs always had my attention. I just was never willing to shell out for the book and the models, as I could buy a whole new army for that price hah. Aside from that though, it was nice when Forgeworld had the experimental rules for their Knarlocs online for download. It made thier model more attractive, though the rules for hitting the knarloc and squad were disapointing as I felt it should have simply been a monstrous creature with how large it is already. They definately are cool though with fleet of foot and all the benefits of jungle stuff (but understandable that a monstrous creature that infiltrates would be -too- good for it's points).

The turrets are really cool. Twin-linked missile pods or plasma rifles that come in groups and take up a heavy are inviting for me! It's just too bad a lot of opponents won't play with them as they've found them "too good." They drop down, sray things with firepower, then sit with an armour value instead of wounds. It's a really nice alternative to broadsides for me, as I never field the broadsides or krootox, and I never would do more than two hammerheads, so it's nice to see an alternative, though I wish GW would make it more legal for us to take them more often without being locked out of using our models/rules in so many games.

Imperial Armour is really cool for the little things. The details that add to an army. I don't care for their mega stuff though. Like titans and warmachines and all that. I think it just pushes things out of the realm of 40k for me, and playing with those things almost require the opponent to play with them as well, so to me, that means they don't fit into the game properly.

But the rest is great! Better models, fun new little units and rules, etc. Good stuff and thanks for review
Old 18 Feb 2005, 19:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

great review dude, shame it doesnt interest me in any of the things you mentioned! the only Imperial amrour things i want to know about are the new battlesuits and their stats/rules :P all the same nice reviews!
Old 18 Feb 2005, 19:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm going to do my darndest to get that book. When I do, I'll be sure to put something together on it for the Boards, naturally. A shame about no interest in the other things, but I can understand it; expensive stuff. On the other hand, there' nothing stopping a modelist from crafting a few of their own models to represent those from the IA books. It'd certainly help test out rule curiosities and such!

Old 18 Feb 2005, 19:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Speaking of the new battle suits, those are mighty fine models. I too am very interested in their new rules, especially for the more powerfully armoured ones and how markerlights will work with them, etc. But those new battle suits look so stream line and beautiful. I can't afford 9 of those puppies though! Ouch! hehe. But they definately inspired me to try and shave/mod my current line of suits to look more smooth and curvy like those guys, with more plates... so nice!
Old 19 Feb 2005, 00:37   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Speaking of the new suits, has anyone stoped to think that "heavier then normal armour" might be represented by a T 5 rather than a 2+ armour save or god forbid both? Personally I'd rather have a multiple wound model with a 3+ save that can't be instakilled by krak missiles than a 2+ save.
Old 19 Feb 2005, 08:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah, but the problem is it's a matter of balance. T5 ICs are really powerful, especially if you combine them with a 3+ save and an 4+ invulnerable save too. That said, I think for the FW stuff it would be fine since they're not legal in any sort of official game and I don't see To5 on a Tau unit being that unbalancing (it makes a much greater difference in close combat).

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 19 Feb 2005, 16:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

I think T5 suits would be problematic for balance. Suddenly, we have suits that can absorb a missile hit or lascannon hit, or a melta hit and still live regardless of failing their save. You'd find more suits in armies, with shield generators and twin-linked plasma, just rushing enemies and surviving their heavy hitters. It would make odd Tau lists that actually rush to the fight. Not that it's a terrible thing, but I think T5 suits would simply be a problem and a bit overpowered. Only a S10 weapon would put them to sleep then. It would make for more players putting their suits in the open and not worrying about cover so much and drones would find a new home absorbing hits until the suits absorb the rest. Suits would get a huge boost from T5.
Old 19 Feb 2005, 16:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quick question about knarlock riders , i have a uint of these in my kroot army and: the knarlock has 2 attacks at st5 yes? and the rider has 1 at st 4 yes? which gets the extra attack for charging? and does the rider get an aditional attack for the krrot rifle?

thanks alot.JACK
Old 19 Feb 2005, 17:54   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

I doubt they will get toughness 5.* Have you ever noticed how few 40k units or characters have toughness 5?* I can think of maybe four.* There is one Tyranid special character, one Eldar unit, two or three chaos units, and SM bikes.* Even among this small number, only two units have more than one wound.* Statistics in 40k don't scale linearly.* The difference between t5 and t6 is pretty minor because there are so few s7 or s10 weapons in the game, but the difference between t4 and t5 is extreme (as is the difference between t3 and t4).* The general absence of t5 units is one of the reasons the Broadside Railgun is not as relevant as it could be against infantry.
Closed Thread