Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Uses for an Ethereal
Old 30 Apr 2007, 00:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Funshade
Default Uses for an Ethereal

is the only point of an Ethereal is for the bonus re-roll moral checks. sure you can get the special FW squad but he even isent that good at CC for 50 points with no save. seems like you want them to kill him also for the preferred enemy bonus
I have half the weight
I will have five times the stamina
~those who never louse... always win~
Funshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2007, 01:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Uses for Ethereal

I used to field one back when they din't require LOS, I'd just hide him in a corner. Now, not so much. I hardly ever field him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2007, 01:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

1. Re-roll moral checks. This means you can (usually) decide to pass or fail a moral check where you see fit. Of course you want your army to have strong leadership, but the abilty to fail moral chacks can be usefull too. Maybe to get that assault unit out in the open, your purposefully have the Tau unit thier in hth with fail and run. That way those nasty assaulters can't use hth as a shield from Tau shooting.
2. Fearless, attach the etheral to one unit, and thier fearless. A nice insurance policy if you wan't a unit to take the brunt of the shooting, but stay on the table. (like broadsides).
3. Honor Guard, they provde a nice boost to the regular FWs. Fairly expensive though IMO.
4. Preferd Enemy, not that great IMO as you hoping that most of your army won't just run off the table, and still you don't want your Tau getting in hth because they are far more effective when shooting.
5. Bait, most people know he's a weakness for the Tau, so he might make good bait for a trap.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 01:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

OK just for hells sake i had 2 Etheraals out on the field. would i be able to re-roll the forced moral checks that the death of the other one causes. then would it be possable to keep the re-rolls and the prefred enemy?
I have half the weight
Old 30 Apr 2007, 01:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

You...can't.

Not in a normal sized game anyway, commander takes up one slot, ethereal the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2007, 01:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

gaa forgot that the crisis was a +1
I have half the weight
Old 30 Apr 2007, 02:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

That's a very good question, though. In multiple-detachment games (typically 2,500+ pts), you COULD have more than one ethereal. For that matter, you could potentially take multiples of the special issue systems (since they are one-per-army, and each detachment counts as it's own army.

And, sorry to break off on a tangent here, but can anyone think of a good reason WHY the ethereal has a Balistic Skill rating?
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2007, 02:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Fluffy reasons. Besides that, the Etheral has become the most useless unit after Aun'shi left. Before he left they were da bomb!
Tau Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2007, 02:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Uses for an Ethereal

I like my Aun because having Ld8 unit of 3 suits + 2 shield drones run 3D6 off the board b/c its drone got stripped off by bolter fire sux hard.

I take him for the same reason I take target array on my broadsides.... insurance against bad dice.

Just don't listen to these naysayers too hard - try him out a bunch of times. who knows... he might grown on you.
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2007, 03:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Uses for an Ethereal

Really they are for fluff reasons like protecting the Aun.

Tactically they are good for the moral boost and the prefered enemy bonus when they die.

Crisis 541 is offline   Reply With Quote