Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How good are Tau in the 40K universe
Old 29 Apr 2007, 20:52   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default How good are Tau in the 40K universe

I've been battling Tau for a few weeks and I'm finding them incredibly fun and despite first glances, incredibly good on the battle field. My question is, how good are Tau compared to all other armies? I've been reading lots of Tau literature and I've noticed they never do well in campaigns, tournements, battle reports. Why is this?
Diavolos1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2007, 21:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: How good are Tau in the 40K universe

Tau are not as easy to powergame with as other armies, which is unfortunately rife in tournaments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2007, 21:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Tau play fien when all parties are good sports and just want to ahve fun. They are however, ver hard to make chessy which allows other armies to stomp on them in win-at-all-costs situations.
Old 29 Apr 2007, 21:37   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

mainly nids and orks and guard and everyoneelse will charge and go in to and kill them
Old 29 Apr 2007, 21:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

Tau...hard to cheese up? I beg to differ. You can get away with 220 points to just fill n the required FOC slots, under half of the points in a 500 pt. match. With those points, you can buy crisis suits which can be used to fill in gaps(up to 3 different groups).

Maybe at higher levels though,they my be harder to cheese up, but at roughly 500 points, I've heard of Tau being called cheesy.

EDIT: oops, missed 2 typos in there ;D
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2007, 21:46   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

They usually do okay. In terms of the background, the Tau are strategically the weakest of all the races in the galaxy-wide power distribution. Dark Eldar and Craftworld Eldar could potentially be weaker militarily in the current era, but their ability to strike anywhere in the galaxy with relative impunity more than makes up for it. The Tau, on the other hand, are restricted to a very small portion of the galaxy, and everyone else has faster FTL travel than they do, making them easy to outmaneuver should they venture corewards from their own territory. The Tau survive because while they are much smaller than their opponents, none of the greater powers have a free hand in dealing with them. The Imperium could not destroy the Tau Empire without stripping away the garrisons needed to protect itself against the Orks, Tyranids, Necrons, and all the other parties that threaten them from without. And with so much of the Imperium's strength focused on the Eye of Terror, there aren't really any disposable forces strong enough to wipe out the Tau Empire anywhere on the Eastern Fringe. And luckily for them, the Tau have not yet been hit with a Hive Fleet or Waaagh! large enough to pose a serious threat.

We don't do well in White Dwarf Battle Reports because we don't have a codex being released. That is basically how that works. :

In terms of the rules, I would put Tau right in the middle. They are much harder to powergame than most of the other lists, and even a cheesed-out Tau army can extremely vulnerable to other powergaming armies. They are not as hard to win with as Dark Eldar and Orks, but they are certainly harder than Marines, Necrons, or Tyranids. I generally think of them as about even with Imperial Guard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfagar
Maybe at higher levels though,they my be harder to cheese up, but at roughl 500 points, I've heard of Tau being called cheesy.
40k is not balanced at 500 points. At that scale, you really need to be using a different FOC. Nor is it really balanced at 3,000 points.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2007, 21:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Adam Baker

They are fun, but if you win or lose is decided by the fact that you use or not his main traits. They are good at shooting and maneuvering, but they can be crushed in close combat.
Adam Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2007, 01:46   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Whats an example of, say, a 1500 point "cheddar" tau list?

-Cheese
Cheesevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2007, 03:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Loads of XV 8s and as many railguns as can fit in it. I think.

Crisis 541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2007, 04:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Tau can only effectively be cheesed out at low point values. Behold the following list:

6x FW
6x Gue'vsa
1xShas'El w TL Flamer, BS filter
3x Ionhead
Total:500pts exactly

It's very difficult for most 500pt lists to deal with as frankly, nobody generally has quite that much heavy AT weaponry yet.

Of course, this vanishes rapidly at higher point values, as heavy weapons become very common, and tau are restricted by heavy/elite choices. There are many effective 1500pt lists, but I cant think of any worthy of cheesiness. =P

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote