Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Cheesy Tau?
Old 28 Apr 2007, 03:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Funshade
Default Cheesy Tau?

ok every friday i go to 'the war room' and play warhammer. unfortunatly about 50% play IG. and i have crushed them all. i have not yet lost a battle agiesnt an IG player. the only other armys i have ever played was eldar (curshed him too) and space maries (lost to him but like first real battle)

Getting to the point he blames the army. i think its becaues im good with numbers and games. SO to the main question

Is the Tau army cheesed?
I have half the weight
I will have five times the stamina
~those who never louse... always win~
Funshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2007, 04:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke
Default Re: Cheesey tau?

Let's see... I have the same thing going on. I very seldom lose with my Tau, and I play mainly against static (not anything close to SIGAFH, though.) guard or different types of marines. While they're not commanded by what I would consider the most skilled players, they're certainly far from stupid.

Well, what kind of guard are you facing? If the player decides to hunker down, guard can easily outshoot Tau,
un-cheesifying our army.
We can buy a twinlinked railgun with a 2+ save and 2 wounds for ~70 points,
while the Guard can buy 3 Lascannons with a 5/4+ save and 6 wounds for ~75. We can't embed ours in a squad, but that can have some good benefits if you think about it.

The Eldar, while not always the most shooty army (but can no doubt be just so.), have us beat in the arena of mobility hands down. Almost every single unit they have is either fleet or fast, which means that while those shuriken catapults may not look so scary from across the board, you may rethink that when you are staring down their barrels, about to be charged. Eldar are almost by definition not too shabby in assault, and that combined with their ability to get to your lines can make for a bad day.

Marines are marines, and can be played pretty much any way you want to within limits.

What we as Tau have is the advantage of combining almost all of the aspects mentioned above.
We've got pretty good mobility, and undoubtable firepower, which can be combined very easily to make for a force that plays any way you want it to.

The fact that we can do almost anything well is at the same time our most and least cheesy aspect.

From what you've described, it looks like you're a rather skilled player in a pond of lesser skilled players. If I were you, I would try to point their errors out to them, and do courteous things every once and a while to cheer them up if they're feeling down (example: I was playing against guard today and was beating them down pretty badly, so I offered the enemy player a few random out-of-nowhere sniper shots at my commander who was behind terrain.) It seemed to cheer him up quite a bit.

Here's an idea that should also help bring some challenge to the table: try taking about 100 points or so off of the game limit, and then use that amount for your list limit. It allows your enemy to fight a bit more freely and learn your less advanced units, and it allows you to give yourself a big challenge and learning experience in the process. My current record for this is me taking 300 less points than the enemy (550 point game), but he kind of cheated, and I only know that there was a points difference because I was suspicious and added up his list when I got home.

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2007, 04:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

What's your list? If your list is balanced (mine is static suits with FW teams guarding whilst the HQs deal with the nasties...
Tau Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2007, 05:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

thats my list
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=43783.0

There you go. the ironic part is i play so many diffrent types. but my highlight of the night was how he said kroot are the most useless tau unit in the game

i destroyed 6 heavy weapons teams with just 16 of them
I have half the weight
Old 28 Apr 2007, 05:14   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

It is probably just sour grapes from someone who doesn't like losing. That isn't even a particular powerful list for a Tau player to field. It is much more balanced against Guard than some lists you can build. He just isn't using his own army correctly, from the sound of it. Guard played well can be a real pain for the Tau to deal with. With no armor to speak of, he should never have allowed Kroot such easy access to his Heavy Weapons. Out of curiosity, did he have them all equipped with Lascannons?

Imperial Guard should usually win in a straight shooting match with Tau. But if an IG player can't be bothered to move or to practice careful deployment, a Tau player can outmaneuver him easily, and all that firepower will be wasted. He just isn't playing to his strengths as much as you are in this case.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2007, 05:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Cheesy Tau?

nope one was a heavy bolters with auto cannons and the last three where morters
I have half the weight
Old 28 Apr 2007, 07:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

heavy bolters and 3+ mortars? how did your kroot even get close???
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2007, 10:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Infiltration!12 inches behind a wall and they just jumped over
I have half the weight
Old 28 Apr 2007, 17:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I was having the discussion at my local gaming group the other day. The original tau were pretty balanced, everyone was cool. Problem was space marines still killed us pretty bad, because well... space marines are misplaced in this game. So they buffed up tau to make them a main contender against the space marines, problem with doing that was they made us too strong against imperial guard, eldar, etc. I mean think about it. Our standard infantry are the same as theirs, except we get carpace and a MUCH better gun.

It is the calm and silent water that drowns a man.
Amaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2007, 18:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

they are better at close combat though.
Anyway. i was at games day and i played some intresting matches.

1 was ageist blood angles. kicked there ass like outright. soon they know the power of the kroot.
2 OK this was a good match between me and IG. he faired really well ageist me. he had no tanks just a bunch of guys with speciality weapons such as the grenade launcher i think he would of done even better if the terrain wasn't perfect for my army. 1 big open fields of ice. 2. crevasses in the ice that could walk in.

big open fields = sniper drones
crevasse = stealth suits that could jump in and out and could never be shot because of LOS

he was doing really fairly. killed most of my fire warriors. my anti infantry suit deepstriked off the map. killed my kroot pretty effectively. and took out my commander and other suits with krak grenade launchers. this showed me IG in the right hands can beat tau
I have half the weight