Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How to fight all Terminator armies, help wanted!
Old 27 Apr 2007, 12:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to orkkrusher
Default How to fight all Terminator armies, help wanted!

Can people give me suggestions to fight an all Terminator army (Dark Angels come to mind)? I was thinking that farsight armies would be best at fighting all Terminator armies but I'm not sure. I was thinking about this because a Dark Angel player was talking about an all Termy army he was planning on having. With a tournement coming up I know I may face him, can I have any suggestions?
Old 27 Apr 2007, 12:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: How to fight all Terminator armies, help wanted!

plasma rifles, plasma rifles, and EVEN MORE plasma rifles ;D ;D ;D

sigged by DRobot

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying". -Oscar Wilde

"When it comes to thought, some people stop at nothing".-unknown

"we're not retreating; we're advancing in another direction"-General Douglas MacArthur
Grey Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 12:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

One of my opponents is a Deathwing player, and the best advice I can give you is plasma and fusion on the suits and a ton of dakka every where else. The lower AP weapons are great, but massed str 5 AP 5 shots works wonders too. You either want to negate his 2+ armor or make him roll a ton of saves, and pray for 1's.

Are you worried about teleporting, Land Raider, or walking terminators? That will change your tactics considerable.

Commander Scoutfox
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 14:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

I've managed many victories against said armies using a combination of 2 plasma-equipped broadsides (yes, broadsides), 2 commanders with TL-Plasma rifles, and kroot.

Yes, kroot hash the hell out of termies. A 10-15 strong unit will drop 1-2 a turn just from massed armor saves. They also distract from the heavier units. I use 3-4 units of kroot in most of my lists. If you can find the forest cover, they're great. Otherwise, ruins still give a 4+ cover. Unless you have very large terrain sections, it's very hard to get past that 6" forest depth. When you do, termies hate it even more.

I've also had them beat termies in CC. THe initiative 10 cover effect really helps. In one battle, I had a full squad charge one of my kroot squads. Sixteen attacks back (they REALLY got in there), and they failed enough armor saves to drop the entire squad without even getting an attack in. ;D We joked that they had run right into the rifle spikes.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 14:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Rogue_FireWarrior

The easy way to defeat a massed termie list is to mass crisis suits with the helios config and possibly broadsides with plasma as well. I might consider taking either shadowsun or farsight vs this list. Shadow sun to instakill any deepstriking characters or farsight to clean up any remaining units of like 2 termies that survived the hail of plasma fire. Farsight would also be usefull because the only 2 units that has acsess to plasma are crisis suitsand broad sides and farsight lists usualy tend to have quite a few crisis suits.

cheers

wins:21 Draws:9 Losses:8
[/img]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn (working on campaign)
They may be laughing at your red paint jobs or bat-eared grots when you deploy, but after loosing a few units to "da green horde" they'll learn to take your sonz of funguz seriously.
Rogue_FireWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 19:11   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

or just use o'shavah in close combat if he runs at them he has 6 attacks hittin on 2+ and no armour saves
Old 27 Apr 2007, 19:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnblade
or just use o'shavah in close combat if he runs at them he has 5 attacks hittin on 3+ and no armour saves, so they still use their 5+ invulnerable.
Updated to represent the truth.

O'Shovah will drop a couple terminators and then explode once he fails one invulnerable save.

You'd be much better off just taking lots of plasma and fusion. In my 1000 point list I have 6 plasma rifles and 3 fusion blasters, its hilarious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 19:24   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

I have never observed Terminators to be very good against the Tau. Their strengths are all overkill, and their weaknesses are very easy for the Tau to exploit. Just load up on Plasma Rifles. And if they teleport in, just take the shooting for a turn and then jump or transport away. They won't be able to catch you and you can pick them apart at leisure. Land Raiders pose a different sort of threat, but they still can't stand up to very many Railgun shots. And a Terminator unit stranded on your opponent's table edge is no threat whatsoever.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 19:29   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

but they still get a 5+ save even with plasma rifles and o'shovah will kill a few then when he wins he will have 7 battlesuits like i have charge in and have 21 attacks then o'shovah will have 6 attacks with 27 attacks most likely a squad of termies will be dead beacause the termies will have to take about 15-20 armour saves
Old 27 Apr 2007, 19:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Charging terminators with battle suits is a profoundly bad idea. Unless you've got a lot of shield drones and shield generators when those termis strike back they'll be instant killing a lot of suits.

Also O'Shovah only has 5 attacks when he charges, not 6.

Let's run the numbers for O'shovah and 7 suits charging terminators, shall we?

O'shovah will kill 1.48 termies. The 7 charging crisis suits will kill 1.17.

If the squad started at 5 terminators, it will have now lost 2.65 models.
The 2.35 models that strike back will cause 2.61 wounds. remember however that this number will DOUBLE since any wound the terminators cause will insta kill suits.

Meaning that the terminators win combat against one of the few units more expensive than they are!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote