Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Uses for the Vespid?
Old 26 Apr 2007, 21:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Uses for the Vespid?

Anyone ever come up with any uses for the Vespid other than point sinks and speed bumps? I remember hearing awhile back about how people were having difficulties fitting them into a battle profile and wanted to know if anything ever came of it.

Bit of a shame because I happen to like the models but if they're worthless I'd never purchase one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
FOXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2007, 21:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Uses for the Vespid?

It might be a better idea to post this in the Tau section...but I use them to destroy isolated marine squads, and that's about it. It is great to abuse cover with them because of Skilled Flyers, especially in a city.
Old 26 Apr 2007, 23:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Sorry, thought it was the Tau section. But I suppose honestly ANYBODY having an idea at this point would be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
FOXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2007, 23:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Haven't used them much. But they pretty successfully beat the crud out of an Inquisitor and his retinue, and in hth no less. Their fast speed make them a nice back up unit too. When you get those "Oh shit" moments and need to call in reinforcements fast. They might not be too bad to help turn the tide of a hth in conjunction with kroot. But I haven't thought of any other better way to use them yet. I always wan't to use them with marklights, but pathfinders always seem to be a point sink on my armies. Plus 1vs.1vs.1 games always end up in big melees too quickly. Not the best spot for shooty armies.
Old 27 Apr 2007, 00:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

They are point sinks if you're out of heavies, elites, hqs, and troops. And you're playing MEQs. Thats pretty much it, really, as otherwise, they just kinda blow. The vast majority of weapons ignore 5+ saves, and the point costs are simply too high for the amount of firepower they put out. If you want melee ability, these guys don't really have that either. Poor saves make em squishy, they have no options whatsoever, and if your strain leader dies, the teams leadership goes to hell.

In all seriousness, Id rather use pathfinders as a point sink.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 01:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Funshade

Seems to me they are mainly just used for grabbing area of terrain. having fleet and skilled flyer they can jump from cover to cover with ease, unlike most jump infantry. and is mainly used just for medium infantry
I have half the weight
I will have five times the stamina
~those who never louse... always win~
Funshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 02:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Rev_Enge(spc)

While expensive, they can be useful if you use them right. The most obvious usuas, are, as everyone says, for grabbing objectives, or speed bumps, but with the right tactics they can be pretty good.

With their speed, they can very quickly cross the board. This isn't just useful for grabbing terrain or objectives ,but for tricking the enemy. Put them down on one side of the board, and in the first turn or two, zip them to the other side.

They can also be used to "mop up" enemy units. After a turn of withering pulsefire from your Fire Warriors, finish up with the Vespids at close range. Try to get a charge in, too, so they aren't annihalated in the enemy shooting phase. After the job is done, they can easily zip back to your own lines.

"In war, laws are silent"
Rev_Enge(spc) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 03:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

They can probably be used to play a mental game with your opponent too. Their not fielded a lot, so opponents don't know too much about them (like how not so good they are), but they still have a reputation as MEQ killers. Given thier speed, you can place them behind a nice piece of cover, at which point your opponent might try to avoid moving troops too close to the area unless he has a sure fire way to wipe them out. If you put them out of LOS they won't get shot up, and it will make it more difficult for jump pack assault troops to get to them, as they have to leg it into hth (i.e. they can't jump over the terrain piece when charging). So the assault troops not only have to get in closer before they try to assault, but thier more likely to fail the assault, and thats when the Vespids are primed to strike.

They can probably be used to deal with harrasment units too. Warp Spiders are a perticular pain of mine, they move in quickly, and then move away quickly devistating FW units, I haven't had a chance use vespids against them yet, but I'd imagine they could keep up the pace, and bring down the hammer on the T3 3+ Sv unit.

Enemy Heavy weapons units would be another potential targets perticularly Devistator/Havoc units (not obliterators though). If shooting isen't enough, your vespids could then charge in and tie them up in combat, saving your army from further blasting. Heck, I'd even go after IG heavy weapons teams if the Vespids can pull if off faster/better then other Tau units.
Old 28 Apr 2007, 08:35   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

they can jump on (well fly above) to light tanks and walkers and skimmers to destroy them and not be shot
Old 28 Apr 2007, 08:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Uses for Vespids, same as any other 40k model I'd say. Targets for a BB gun. :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! Thatís the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote