Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Taking everything in the codex! Diversity is strength!
Old 24 Apr 2007, 22:34   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Taking everything in the codex! Diversity is strength!

Hello my fellow Tau commanders!

Having played for a few months now, I've found out some stuff about the tau empire. Just like to share my experiences with everyone. =)

When I began my journey as a budding Shas'el, I immediately set about creating a suit-heavy list. I was enthralled by this... this insanely fun tactic of jumpshootjump, coming from my Warhammer: Fantasy background. My armies hence became very small in model count, and I was wiped out, time after time, probably due to the fact that I am pretty new and fight against players with far more experience.

Looking online for solutions to my constant routs, I came upon a new style of fighting, the famed Mech Tau. Utilizing hammerheads, devilfishes with firewarriors for FoF, this force looked pretty menacing! However, once again, I was beaten to pulp by my numerous opponents. Why was this so, I pondered. I finally realised why. The lack of big terrains in my gaming area leads to a constant demise of my tanks early in the game. 2 of my major opponents were hardcore necron heavy destroyer armies, and their gauss weaponry did little to help my dire situation.

Seeing other Tau players use mech forces so effectively made me cringe. Was it my fault for not having solid tactics? Was I that bad a commander? Finally, I gave in, and utilized the ugly, ugly kroot. I used every damn thing in the codex besides the Ethereal, Piranha and stealthsuits. It pretty much looked like this:

Shas'el Fireknife
Crisis Fireknife
Crisis TL FB TA(deepstrike)
12 FW
12 FW
10 Kroot
10 Kroot
8 Pathfinders
Devilfish
6 Vespids
2 Broadsides
SkyRay
Hammerhead

I just used them all. To my suprise, I have only lost 1 match out of the last 12 matches! Necrons, DA, Eldar, Chaos, LaTD, Tau, were all destroyed by this insane range of aliens. I realized that by using this list, my opponents had no idea what to target, or what targets are very important. I also realized that my thinking was correct. "If I have everything, I can take on everything." Which may not work for other armies, but certainly works for Tau!

Diversity is strength! If you utilize everything properly, you would find a foe hard-pressed to destroy you. I don't know about most of your gaming area list types, but in mine, almost everybody plays to kill. Suddenly whipping out a balanced list can throw most opponents off guard. It surprises me to see veterans asking me the rules for markerlights, obviously showing that markerlights are seldom seen in my gaming area. The thing about having a whole wide range of unit is, unless your opponent knows Tau very well, he would be under immense pressure to realise the potential of every unit in your arsenal. "What, the kroot can see 12 inches in forests? Those AP3 guns can jump 12 INCHES and fleet?! Seeker doesnt need LOS? Markerlights reduce cover saves?! SMS doesnt need LOS?! and so and so forth.

Just my little 2 cents worth of my experiences. To those new Tau players who feel lost because your mech lists are getting busted, and your win-loss ratio is getting ugly, try it. Take everything. I haven't look back and regretted it yet. =)
mithrandiur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 23:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to orkkrusher
Default Re: Taking everything in the codex! Diversity is strength!

How much points is this army I agree diversity can be a strength or weakness.* (planning on using tons of Human Aux once I get the cash.) Help the Greater good fight in the campaign!
Old 24 Apr 2007, 23:38   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

1500 points. I didn't put in the upgrades and all. =)
Old 24 Apr 2007, 23:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to orkkrusher

Sweet thats cool. Fight in the campaign, for the Greater Good!
Old 25 Apr 2007, 05:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hybrid is awesome...the thing about one-trick lists is, they're touchy. All skimmer lists are an absolutely blast to play...until you run into someone with las/plas all over the board, and a lack of terrain to hide behind. Static lists are dependant on fire lanes and good cover to give them solid survivability. Hybrids offer you some flexibility to deal with a wider variety of opponents, and in general, they're my favorite lists.

I wouldnt run exactly the same list you do, but you're certainly on a good track.

Advice I'd suggest...replace the skyray with an ionhead, giving you one ion cannon, one big railgun, and the broadsides. Also, consider dumping the vespid for gun drones/more infantry or suits. Vespid are highly specialized, while crisis suits can be geared to be useful in almost any situation.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2007, 20:49   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

While I agree with you that 1 Ion, 1 Railgun, and 2 broadsides would be better in some instances, I would prefer to keep my skyray. Reason being that it is more flexible. Yes, a railgun is strong, but it's only 1 railgun. Against, for example, wraithlords or C'tans, 1 railgun shot is only going to give it one wound, whilst my seekers would be launched against these kind of targets, up to 6 a turn, if I really, really need to take it down.

I would not be worried by tanks because of the unique combo of using pathfinders. The homing beacon on my devilfish really helps me to position my deepstriker TLFB TA crisis near it's target, to make full use of it's melta. Hence, since that is nearly a confirmed tank kill, I wouldn't really want that railgun.

About the the vespids, I totally agree with you. They are useless in certain situations, like against guards/termies and so on, where AP3 isn't a concern. But since I want to take everything.... =\

Old 26 Apr 2007, 01:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You know what I think I might just give it a try. Certainly means buying more cool toys... ;D

I have been playing mech for some time now and was blasted to bits by the new eldar a few days ago: those new heavy battery that dont need LOS to fire and can go through building across the table...argh.. >

guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2007, 02:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Taking vespids just for the sake of taking everything doesnt work. Tau has four FA options, and only three slots in a force org. Same goes for heavies.

If thats your preference, take another ionhead instead of the skyray. It outperforms it reliably and is cheaper too. Two ionheads might not help your lists diversity, but it certainly is effective, and less points allows you more diversity elsewhere.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2007, 04:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

2 broadsides, skyray, hammerhead. Just one step to start farsight enclave.
Lunaris is offline   Reply With Quote