Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How do I use sniper drones to full effect?
Old 24 Apr 2007, 09:13   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default How do I use sniper drones to full effect?

Basicly what it says in the title,could someone help me please.
Grimgor_cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 09:42   #2 (permalink)
Tyr
Shas'Saal

Default Re: How do i use sniper drones to full effects?

I don't use sniper teams that often, I still own three and like them when I do run them. I just tend to play mech.
From (my some what limited) experiance I use them to cover lines of attack and to gain marker lights. They are at there best if you can manipulate the battle to keep units at there higher range, say 24"-36" as then there stealth is basically all the protection you need.
They are obviously of most use against Marines, Necrons and Nuns with Guns (sisters of battle).
Though you can take out light vechiles (AV 10 - 11) with them if needed.
Their third application can be to cause as many pinning checks on low leadership armies as possible (9 potential checks from one heavy support slot aint to shabby). I haven't really tried them in this way, and you are spreading out your fire when you do.

"I have taken great pains not to laugh at the actions of aliens, nor to weep at them or to hate them, but to understand them."- Aun'shi
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 10:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr
Their third application can be to cause as many pinning checks on low leadership armies as possible (9 potential checks from one heavy support slot aint to shabby)
Don't you mean 3 checks, as the unit taking wounds would only make one check per unit firing on them?
Brannigan: A valid question. We know nothing about their language, their history or what they look like. But we can assume this: they stand for everything we dont stand for. Also they told me you guys look like dorks!
Ka-No-Bushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 10:32   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

and also is it true that if the spotter dies the entire team is removed and do the drones and the spotter have to be within 2'' range of each other?
Old 24 Apr 2007, 10:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kiznti

Yes, and Yes.

Read the Strange Gazzet. You know you want to!
Kiznti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 10:45   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Well thats sucks,it should be keep the spotter in one place and have the drones fly around wherever they want.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 11:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Don't you mean 3 checks, as the unit taking wounds would only make one check per unit firing on them?

As they all have Target Locks, theoretically each team could fire at three seperate targets. Thus forcing three pinning checks.

As to how to use Sniper Drones, I just put them as far back as is convenient/possible and shoot at anything with a 3+ save. The Stealth Field will keep them from harm, and if they ever get charged it's probably too late for the rest of your army anyway. In some situations you can even place them a long way away from the majority of your army. If the enemy assaults them, then that's turns the assault troops aren't attacking the main body of your army. If he tries to shoot them, chances are he'll miss courtesy of Stealth Field. The most likely reaction is to simply ignore them. As this means they can keep shooting the whole game, that's no reason to complain.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Faolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 11:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to cyberzomby

These babies are really good in denying an opponent terrain. Last weekend I played a chaos space marine player and he was really annoyed because I had these drones. Sniper field makes it hard to hit them. And the AP3 means even marines are scared to walk over an open field to get you. Makes them go around forests and ruins to hide and thus you can control there movement.
cyberzomby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 17:07   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: How do I use sniper drones to full effect?

They should always be off on their own, in cover. You don't want them to get caught up in assaults that target other parts of your line. So make sure they can always act as a diversion. If you are taking all three teams, your target will depend on your opponent. Against armies with low Leadership, every unit should be splitting its fire between targets, so that your enemy has to take nine pinning tests every turn. Against armies with high Leadership, fire all nine drones at the same unit (assuming they are all in range), taking them below half strength and then moving on to the next target. Use other units to finish off the survivors.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 17:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: How do I use sniper drones to full effect?

What the? I hadn't really read the sniper drone rules(don't own any yet), but doesn't it seem completely whack to tether a JSJ unit with a 6" move troop?

I know it's not... but I would think the drones should definitely be able to move away from the spotter (although I can see maybe still have the spotter at least have to have line of sight for fairness)

Anyone else find this a tad stupid?