Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

help, please
Old 24 Apr 2007, 01:15   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default help, please

so i just bought a boxed-set of the battleforce and a couple extra fire warrior sets (2 squads). i've done some research and think that i have a decent grasp on the tactics from reading other forums and just doing some strategic planning. however, i was wondering if anybody had equipment advice for a command xv-8 or a devil-fish. anything would be appreciated. also, if you could include a line of reasoning as to why, that'd be appreciated. i haven't decided which type of tactics i feel comfortable with (mech, static, or combo), so i'd like to hear some other opinions before i go making any rash decisions. also, any upgrades to either the suit or tank would be appreciated, too.

thanks.
justamusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 01:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: help, please

Well, well, well. First of all, Welcome to the Forums!

1. As for the XV8, I'tll depend on the rest of your army. if your army doesn't have much anti-vehical, as mostly firewarrios and kroot is bound to be, you'll want to pump it up with Fusion Blasters or Plasma Rifles. If your army has something good anti-vehicle like, such as a Railhead or Fusion pirhana, you could go Anti-Transport/General Purpose with a MP/PR, or another way.

2. Depends. If you keep it basic it should be fine, though a Disruption Pod always helps. if you upgrade it to SMS, you'll want to give it a decoy launcher or the like.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 02:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'O GeekyGator
2. Depends. If you keep it basic it should be fine, though a Disruption Pod always helps. if you upgrade it to SMS, you'll want to give it a decoy launcher or the like.
That should be a Decoy Launcher always helps. If you take the Smart Missile System add a Targeting Array. A Multi-tracker is also dead useful. I personally run a fully kitted out Warfish: Devilfish, Smart Missile System, Targeting Array, Multi-tracker, Decoy Launchers and usually Disruption Pod and Sensor Spines.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 02:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to orkkrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamusician
so i just bought a boxed-set of the battleforce and a couple extra fire warrior sets (2 squads). i've done some research and think that i have a decent grasp on the tactics from reading other forums and just doing some strategic planning. however, i was wondering if anybody had equipment advice for a command xv-8 or a devil-fish. anything would be appreciated. also, if you could include a line of reasoning as to why, that'd be appreciated. i haven't decided which type of tactics i feel comfortable with (mech, static, or combo), so i'd like to hear some other opinions before i go making any rash decisions. also, any upgrades to either the suit or tank would be appreciated, too.

thanks.
You should decide on what type of opposition you face and what is more comfortable for you (Static, Mech, Hybrid). My favorite suit is Plasma, Fusion and TA. Rember join the campaign we are having more players the better, do it for the Greater Good!
Old 24 Apr 2007, 03:34   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

yeah, i don't have really any anti-armor weapons (you guessed right on my fire warrior/kroot composition. one recommendation i got was to use the cyclic ion blaster as one choice for the commander. any thoughts?

are the SMS worth it? and marker lights? i've seen mixed opinions, but i was wondering if the people who didn't like them were people who didn't know how to use them or if they really aren't worth it.

i think long-run i'd like the missile option, however, at the moment, i may be gearing it up for a campaign which will have some interesting caps on weapons/transports/etc.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 03:53   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I like missle pods for suits a lot. A lot a lot. Plasma is really good for high armour targets. I also like the Cyclic Ion Blaster on my commander for lightly armoured targets.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 04:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

If you have no anti-armor weaponry stay away from the CIB. It's almost strictly for low armor units, and FWs and Speed bumps Kroot are for those ones.

Use the following if you have problems with Marines: Twin linked Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Hardwired Multitracker. This way you hit at least 3-5 times with stuff that kills them without much caring. As an added bonus, they also burn through terminator armor with excellent speed so they are excellent for killing anyone you don't like.

If you are having problems with vehicles, I suggest broadside battlesuits. The ability to have a S10 AP1 shot that is twinlinked is invaluable at 72".

Also, I see no point for missles. Unless you really need some vehicle popping and have little in the way of terrain, I would stay away from them. Also, I never take anything with a markerlight- they are far too undependable for the times when I have used them (Sniper drone teams are also a waste of money. I've never had them do anything good for me.)

Any way that you do it, be sure to gear up for your enemies appropriately. Also remember that a full team of XV-15s can Infiltrate and have Burst cannons and Fusion Blasters- this spells doom for any vehicle that you can get close to.
Tau Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 04:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Funshade

Here is my take on all weapons or the main ones you wish to know about

Burst cannons on the devil fish: If you plan to take out lots of infantry this is your best bet. pumping out 6 shots for 10 points less then the missiles can help out a lot.

Smart missile systems: Goes around cover. this is great for the infantry tying to hide behind buildings and i mostly use then to convince my target to jump out of cover because he is just taking hits wile i stay unharmed.

Missile pods: Nice range always two shots. good for light armor such as walkers or +4 save infantry

Markerlights: these can help considerably. they are mainly used for BS. a perfect example is 12 Fire warriors get into rapid fire range so 24 shots BS3 = 12 shots now even if it is only one markerlight it adds 4 hits so that one markerlight tenchical is equal to 4 shots. but doesn't have to be only BS but cover saves also. all around i love them.

But remember that only networked helps there own squads.

Now for the armors

1. multi tracker can keep your armor moving and force glancing hits but that wont keep it up forever. so don't rely on it to much

2.Sensor spines are a good choice if you want to put units Into a forest of some type keeping the armor safer. i would never use it on anything besides the Devil fish

3. Disruption pod Also a good choice for a hammer head or a sky ray. rarely do things get in 12 inches to fire at your hammerhead so adding 50% to glance is nice. i would not suggest using this with the multi tracker because they defeat the purpose of the disruption pod.

4.Fanchette Discharger. I find this quite worthless. chances are anything that can assult the armor is if you deliberately let it. or jet bikes but if you keep it moving at 12 inches they need a 6+ to hit it so chances are they will miss... horribly

LAST RULE AND MOST IMPORTANT!
Read about what they do. not who does not use them. People love hammer heads. i hate them. Read how they are used. not who uses them
I have half the weight
I will have five times the stamina
~those who never louse... always win~
Funshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 04:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Without any anti-armor, I'd suggest missile pods and a Fusion blaster. You could put the CIB on the commander if you really want to. I'd also get multitrackers, as they can massively increase the Dakka. Also, take decoy launchers on the devilfish. That's what I have to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Serious?
Dark Ace Cypher with the power of cliffing!
[quote=TheCuriousMonke]
[b]"You must bake muffins for the Greater Good."[/
Ace cipher zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 04:12   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Funshade, thanks for the input. that's why i asked for people to post reasoning. like i said, i've never played Tau before (though i understand the 3 general tactics), i'm also looking for individual success/failure stories so i can see what to try and what i might want to try slightly differently.

also, any thoughts on hardwiring a drone controller into the commander? i've read some people using this tactic instead of taking body guards as they're slightly faster and a little less expensive.