Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Necrons
Old 23 Apr 2007, 19:17   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Necrons

Necron tactic to tau is launch there monolith on your hammerhead. :'(
Which tactic against necrons i should take with the great tau?
Vespidslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2007, 19:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Necrons

Hand to Hand is the only way!

Get his monolith from the bottom!
Old 23 Apr 2007, 19:31   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40kenthusiast
Hand to Hand is the only way!

Get his monolith from the bottom!
err... no. That is a very bad way of dealing with the Monolith. For every army, actually. It is still a skimmer and it can fry just about any unit that gets close to it. Just take it down with Railguns. Tau have an easier time against that particular unit than any other army in the game. It is always a bonus to a Tau player if the Necrons bring one. There are other things in their list that hurt much more.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2007, 20:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Tau has many ap3-ap2 shoots.Rail Gun, Rail Rifle (pathfinder/sniper drone), Ion Cannon, Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Seeker. Take down as many necron as posible.

Another option is to lock necron in CC with kroot. Kroot (add hounds if you like) strike faster than most necron, S4, infiltrate and cheap.
Lunaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 08:28   #5 (permalink)
Tyr
Shas'Saal

Yes but then again it can be hard to lock Necrons into combat if they have a monolith as they will just Portal them out of combat.
I have been pondering this problem since my Tau suffered there only defeat to date at the hands of a necron player that deepstriked two monoliths into my lines and fried everything.
To this moment the best thing I can come up with to combat this nasty wee tactic is to have a unit or two of broadsides.
That or if you think you can manage a phase out.

"I have taken great pains not to laugh at the actions of aliens, nor to weep at them or to hate them, but to understand them."- Aun'shi
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 20:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

Well if they're landing on your Hammerheads, or bringing monoliths towards your back, if you have a 6-man group of Firewarriors, they'll be more effective than most things at taking down a Monolith. But if you don't have them on hand, then about the only things really able to are Fusion Blasters and Rail Rifles.

Besides that, I suppose you'll like your Helios and Fireknife battlesuits. Maybe some Seeker Missiles as well, but that's ultimately up to you. But stay out of Close Combat would be nice advice as well IMO (unless you're able to find a unit which can shoot at you well and not really able to defend itself.)
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 20:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Crisis suits and Firewarriors are completely ineffective in downing a Monolith. The Fusion Blaster, the only gun with hopes of damaging the Lith, can`t use its Melta-special rule thanks to the Liths spcial rules, and the Firewarriors (with EMP-Grenades, I suppose) need a 6 to hit.

The only reliable way to down one of these beasts is a Rail gun. Period.

If you want to beat Necrons, your best bet is to just fulfill the mission objectives. Most Necron players rely so much on their invincibility that they often forget the objective. Exploit this.
Stay away from them, target only the units which could harm you (Destroyers, etc), try to avoid the rest, and then get the job done.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 21:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

I don't have the BBB on hand, but I was thinking that a deep-striking model cannot move the turn it has deep-struck, allowing any melee attacks automatically hit.

Now for the MathHammer:
A Broadside(A.S.S. instead of TA) making a shot has about 3/4 chance of hitting, another 1/2 chance of penetrating, and 1/2 chance of destroying the thing. Resulting in about 3/16(9/16 if using a full 3) chance of destroying it. 1/16 if the Monolith moved. EMP grenades though have 6 attacks, auto-hit, and penetrate 1/6 of the time(1/2 chance of destroying) and glance 1/3 of the time(1/6 chance to destroy). About 10/12 chance. Or approx. 1/12 if the Monolith moved.

You may not always be able to get the full squad to attack, but if you'll need about 4 or more EMP attacks before you can out-do a Broadside in terms of killing the Monolith. It shouldn't be that hard when you have a 12" effective range of the EMP grenades. And with only 4 EMP hits against a moving skimmer, they have the same chance of destroying it as a Rail Head. Something to keep in mind.

Besides that, I agree with what you said.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 21:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to LtCariad

Skimmers always count as having moved more than 6" as far as close combat is considered. Otherwise it would have been great of course.
LtCariad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 22:19   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

There was a FAQ about this related to Land Speeders. The ruling was that they counted as having moved over 12" on the turn they arrive, meaning they can not fire, but also that they may only be glanced. Does anyone else remember where that was. Adepticon FAQ, maybe?
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote