Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Seeker Missles, why is there so little love for seeker missles?
Old 23 Apr 2007, 03:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to orkkrusher
Default Seeker Missles, why is there so little love for seeker missles?

Why don't people use seeker missles more ofen? I have used them on space marines with fantastic results. A single hit means usually wiping a bunched squad below 50% or even more. So why in all the battle reports I have read, that no one seams to use seeker missles aginst Space Marines. Against space marines with mostly 3+ armor saves, I have destroyed them in record time with AP. I get first turn and poof 3 squads bite the dust with only several survivors. So why is there no love for the seeker missles, especially against Space Marines where they are a must for me?
Old 23 Apr 2007, 03:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Funshade
Default Re: Seeker Missles, why is there so little love for seeker missles?

I love seeker missiles. but not to specifically take out squads of guys. i use it for the instant death factor. anything with 2 wounds or more is the first target for my seeker missiles. those sorcerers just one shot BLAM both wounds gone
I have half the weight
I will have five times the stamina
~those who never louse... always win~
Funshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2007, 03:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Why does my list have a Sky Ray, decked out Ionhead and a full Pathfinder Squad then?

I love my seekers too. And my SMS, and my AFP.
They're all so much fun in CoD.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2007, 04:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I love my seekers as well. I take my Sky Ray over my Hammerhead any day for them (And markerlight support). And when they are on a Piranha jetting 24" across the board and firing the missile at side/rear armor of tanks, well it basically feels like a guaranteed kill.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 04:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Dude seeker missiles dont use blast templates... a single hit would kill a single marine, no most of a squad.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 04:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkkrusher
Why don't people use seeker missles more ofen? I have used them on space marines with fantastic results. A single hit means usually wiping a bunched squad below 50% or even more. So why in all the battle reports I have read, that no one seams to use seeker missles aginst Space Marines. Against space marines with mostly 3+ armor saves, I have destroyed them in record time with AP. I get first turn and poof 3 squads bite the dust with only several survivors. So why is there no love for the seeker missles, especially against Space Marines where they are a must for me?
You sound like you're using some kind of template. If they had a template, seekers would be great. Freaking unbalanced if they had the large one, but no, they're a single hit.

Ionheads are more effective at killing MEQs(incidentally, at killing everything else too) than a skyray is, and seekers are simply a very expensive way to kill a MEQ...bringing them to fire at random tac squads is simply bad strategy.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2007, 04:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

It doesn't make much sense though, missiles explode, and seeker missiles look pretty large, so you'd think they would do area of effect damage. Firing a rocket launcher in Halo can kill almost the entire opposing team if they're bunched up and you fire at them dead center. ;D

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2007, 04:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidstyler
It doesn't make much sense though, missiles explode, and seeker missiles look pretty large, so you'd think they would do area of effect damage. Firing a rocket launcher in Halo can kill almost the entire opposing team if they're bunched up and you fire at them dead center. ;D
Many missiles do not do a blast. AT weapons in particular are meant to melt/shaped charge through armor. If they hit a person, they'd outdoubtably destroy him, but they certainly don't always explode in an infantry killing way.

The same is true of many air to air missiles...they carry about a hand grenades worth of explosives. Not terribly lethal unless placed in precisely the right spot.

Submunitions is what you're looking for.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2007, 04:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Funshade

if we used a template for ever gun that would have a 'blast effect' this game would be entirely diffrent. for example Smart missile systems would have 4 blasts. so would missile pods. not to mention grenades would gain blasts as well. missiles are specifically designer to take out armor plates and buildings. the gunpowder is funneled forwards blowing through the armor. not out and away. thats why you never hear stories of a rocket killing 5 guys in one spot. it might take out a machine gun nest but it is not meant for killing multiple infantry.

Now lets take a mortar. the blast of that gun is meant to go up and outwards killing multiple people. allowing the use of a blast marker.

To put it simply. Cannon balls take out ships not the crew
I have half the weight
I will have five times the stamina
~those who never louse... always win~
Funshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2007, 04:47   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

That would seem to be the problem here. Seeker Missiles are just a slightly more limited version of an Imperial Hunter-Killer Missile. They are decent for taking out vehicles, but we are already saturated in that respect. They are pretty much filling a hole that isn't there.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote