Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

WYSIWYG and Tau Vehicles
Old 20 Apr 2007, 14:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default WYSIWYG and Tau Vehicles

It had recently become apparent at my GW that 'software' is non-existent in 40k. The story:

I consider Targettign Array and Multitracker mandatory on all my vehicles, I always equip them. When playign an opponet I announced my DV's burst canon hit on 3+. My opponent asked where my TA was modeled and I said I didn't need to model software. A red shirt overuled me and said I had to model all upgrades.

I don't undertstand why I have to upgrade soemthign like that. I understand having to model things like grenades and hard points so that you couldn't surprise your opponent with them. However, vehicle upgrades that in most cases wouldn't be visible is ridiculous.

Was I in the wrong, or was my opponent taking WYSIWYG too far?
Old 20 Apr 2007, 14:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: WYSIWYG ad Tau Vehicles

I think thats a bit too far...its technically legal, but really, thats pretty ridiculous. I leave off many vehicle upgrades on the basis that I dislike ruining the tanks clean look.

Add on a custom bit of wargear, and point at that every time he questions you in the future. And remember, if hes not 100% accurate as well, you can always be a jerk back.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2007, 14:47   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: WYSIWYG and Tau Vehicles

WYSIWYG is poorly defined in reverse for things like this. So while you need to model all of your upgrades, you can also stick other bits onto your skimmers that don't represent anything. This comes in handy when you run into people like that. WYSIWYG is more for things like weapons that it is for upgrades, but some people use it as a way to win games through argument. I expect my opponent's weapons to be accurate, so a squad with a Power Fist needs to have one model with an obvious Power Fist. But I really don't care about things like Vehicle Upgrades, as I will generally ask my opponent about them before the game if I am concerned.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2007, 14:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If possible, model your tank with it, but with the Tau it isn't possible. We don't have anything thats officially a targetting array, or D-pod or flechette discharger etc. You could just say that thay lump of paint is a concealed targetting array, as you use it as stock.
Old 20 Apr 2007, 16:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to gerrylum

How about this - next time someone argues with you and asks where your targeting array is, take a spare die, put it on top of the model.

"There's my targeting array."
Old 20 Apr 2007, 17:05   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Would it be copyright infringement to ask what WYSIWYG means?
Dredrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2007, 17:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

Well, What You See I What You Get could be copyrighted but I would worry more about IP infringements.

And you can ask all you want, but not answer everyhing...unless you used your judgement and decided they had a rulebook and you were explaining someting...extensively.

Hope that helps. "I would like to help, but I can't" (From Mr. Incredile)
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2007, 19:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

There IS a target array though guys. You know that little antenna thing that comes in the box? Notice how in the GW pictures it is only on the hammerhead and not the devilfish? Bingo. For decoy launchers you can say the little door like items on the underside of the vehicles (you'll see them).
Now I am a big arguer over multi-tracker and target lock though. Both of these systems are integrated systems. It all has to do with the computer being able to first target multiple objects and then maintaining that lock.

It is the calm and silent water that drowns a man.
Amaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2007, 20:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I took a piece of grenade from the marine sprue, paint it the same as the hull color, and elmer glues it in a nook under all my tanks.

it represents any and all upgrades not included on the sprues.

and your opponent and that red shirt were jerks.
there is no possible purpose for asking, and answering in that way.

you can even take a piece of gum, stick it on, and say it's the array - no games workshop matiel ever explicitly identifed what a targetting array looks like. Further more, the hammerhead, which comes standard with the array is depicted with 0 external antennae.

If that ever happens to me, I'd never play that guy again, and never buy anything from that store again.
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2007, 21:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaliel
There IS a target array though guys. You know that little antenna thing that comes in the box? Notice how in the GW pictures it is only on the hammerhead and not the devilfish? Bingo. For decoy launchers you can say the little door like items on the underside of the vehicles (you'll see them).
Now I am a big arguer over multi-tracker and target lock though. Both of these systems are integrated systems. It all has to do with the computer being able to first target multiple objects and then maintaining that lock.
What antenna do you mean? If you mean the rather big antenna that looks like the one on a drone, that antenna is pictured on both devilfish and hammerheads in the codex. And no explanation on what it is.
Brannigan: A valid question. We know nothing about their language, their history or what they look like. But we can assume this: they stand for everything we dont stand for. Also they told me you guys look like dorks!
Ka-No-Bushi is offline   Reply With Quote