Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

First Heavy support deployed
Old 20 Apr 2007, 10:56   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default First Heavy support deployed

In some scenarios the players can push back the troops deployed by the enemy by placing a Force org. choice near the middle of the table. As the enemy is forced to deploy at least 18" away he gets pushed back to a nice get-your-tooled-up-close-combat-squad-as-far-away-from-my-fragile-firewarriors position.

Question is now: What Heavy Support choice do you deploy to push the enemy back?

Often to get the most out of the pushback you will have to deploy the unit mostly in open terrain thereby exposing a valuable target which might not be able to move (skimmertank) and leaving it as a sitting duck.

How do you get this tactical advantage with the least chance of enemy retribution?

Tassadar
Tassadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2007, 10:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: First Heavy support deployed

I'd say a cheap tank that you add a disruption pod too, so he has a little help surviving the 1st turn if your opponent gets it first(or hope theres a lovely piece of area terrain positioned just perfectly) and secondly not all missions have 18" some even have 24" just so you know^^
Old 20 Apr 2007, 11:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

A Broadside or two with A.S.S. and a pair of Shield Drones are perfect for this role and I've used them for such on several occaisions with good success.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2007, 12:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Pathfinders DF works well. Let the pathfinders wander off to a good spot and wreck havoc with their markerlights and let their devilfish hang out at the front distracting fire and pushing the enemy back.

Crisis 541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2007, 14:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well, the problem with the PF DF is that it's fast attack, and thus, deployed absolutely last. Nice for pushing back infiltrators, not so much for anything else.

I like Ionheads. Less point investment, decently survivable. Decoy Launchers are quite helpful, btw, if you intend for them to be fire magnets....which they generally are if deployed up front.

That said, I normally drop the PF DF up front as well. Its a much less critical unit than my tanks, Id much rather my opponent be tempted to waste shots on it.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2007, 17:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I lost a tournament by not taking advantage of the setup pushback. If the opportunity arises again I would use an Ionhead. It is the cheapest of my heavy choices, and if it survives I can reposition it 12" on my turn. Another Idea, if you have them, would be to use a sniper drone team. You could place all three down the edge of your deployment zone and make the 24 or 18" bubble extend the length of the table. At 24" they still have a 50% chance of not being shot at.

Commander Scoutfox
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2007, 19:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to cyberzomby

Yeh sniper drones seem cool to use for that task indeed ! If that comes up tomorrow Ill put those down there lol
cyberzomby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2007, 19:25   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Sniper Drones would be best for this task, as they are relatively inexpensive individually, have a shorter range anyway, and can exert three seperate "zones of control" when deployed as a single FOC slot.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2007, 20:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I usually use the Ion head for this.

It's less of a threat than the Rail head, and it's manuverable enough to reposition if it survives the first turn.
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2007, 21:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to webkilla

triple sniper drone teams ftw

also - placing all three at once usualy gets the "hey, you cant do that!?!" responce - which is usualy a good sign...