Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Forge world models worth it?
Old 19 Apr 2007, 02:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Forge world models worth it?

Heh, I play mainly mechanized Tau and I've beenn considering adding some Forge World Tetras and Baracudas to my force (you can find my army list http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=44153.0 there.)
I would just like people's views on both the unit's cost effectiveness and the quality of the models for their respective prices.

Thanks in advance
Old 19 Apr 2007, 03:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Forge world models worth it?

I think that the best model for Tau from Forge World is the XV-84. A Markerlight on a commander is worth it's weight in gold! I have a 115 pt Shas'El with Missile Pod/Shield Generator/Targeting Array that gives me plenty of accuracy and can bust transports at the same time.

Now, you were asking about Tetras... I haven't played with them, but the idea of a BS 4 Markerlight (of course you're getting the Targeting Array) on a FAST vehicle is a great idea. The only problem is the weak armor... just be careful with them and they should do you a world of good.
Old 19 Apr 2007, 03:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I own both of these. Here are my thoughts.

Tetras: I almost always field these when allowed. They're cool looking models that perform well in-game and are reasonably costed (points). The models themselves come in a surprising number of pieces (they're quite small) and are difficult to assemble. That being said, once you get them together, you won't be disapointed. I don't field Markerlights anymore unless they're on Tetras... I've been spoiled!

Barracuda: Like all flyers, it's a fun trick every once in awhile. However if you're playing against someone who doesn't know or understand the flyer rules, you can feel somewhat dirty fielding it. The old Disruption Pod rules made Tau flyers some of the best out there, however now we've lost that bonus. The ability to mount a Target Lock makes them still quite unique however. The Barracuda is primarily an anti-infantry platform, able to put out 11 shots per turn at as many as 4 different targets. Wonderful against Eldar! All flyers tend to be a bit overcosted for the impact they have on the game... the Barracuda is no exception. However the Target Lock gives it a nice boost. The model itself is amazing, containing many moving pieces and a detailed interior. Well worth the price. I won best painted army at a tournament last year, and I strongly suspect it was on account of the Barracuda
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2007, 05:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Tetras are fun...and I love how they look. Think of it this way, if you decide you utterly hate them, they can always sub as a piranha.

Don't worry much about the crisis suits unless you enjoy the looks. The XV81 is pretty much just pointless, and anyhow, any of the models could be done cheaper with a bit of converting. They look cool, though, so if thats your goal, buy away.

Im skeptical about fliers. They're fun, and fluffy as all hell, but you wont get nearly as much use out of them. I advise waiting until you have all the main stuff of your force before you start shopping for fliers and superheavies.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2007, 08:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to firewarrior123

I think some things are cheap and some things are ridiculously overpriced. For example, When I was doing my kroot army, all i had was heaps of regular kroot. and when i wanted some variety, i decided to get some knarlocs. until i saw the price > One great knarloc, is 40 pounds the equivilent of 100 australian dollars*
Its all about how badly you want the model, and how much money you are prepared to spend.*

Although tetras are pretty cool at 30 pounds, and baracudas at 65 pounds.
firewarrior123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2007, 09:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

to tell the truth i dont know why i buy these at all they re fun to make and all but the warhammer 40 000 range just isnt worth all the money we pay for them! a petition or something is needed
or just buy things off ebay so games work shop go broke!

i really need to find myself some poker chips.....

OH.MY.GOD. its a giant multi-coloured straight jacket!
cooooooooollll.....

cool.... UBER TAU DUDES!...
(my insanity has been proven)

i might copy a few those....
insignificant other is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2007, 09:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to firewarrior123

If games workshop goes broke, our hobby goes out the door. you should probably think about these things before you post them.
firewarrior123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2007, 13:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Yaifrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog footrot
or just buy things off ebay so games work shop go broke!
*Tut tut tut* What a foolish thing to say...

Anyway, Tetras would only be worth they're weight in gold on the battlefield if they were made of metal and were at least five times bigger. I never play a game without them! Definately worth it! As for barracudas, I've never played with them, so I can't help you out.

PS: TonkaTruckDriver, I didn't find them hard to assemble at all...
Yaifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2007, 19:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I note that you have not pointed out the Hammerhead weapon options..

There are four weapon options for the Hammerhead, each of them a tank-mounted version of the standard crisis suit weapons, and all of them are twin linked. lets begin.

Twin Linked Heavy Burst Cannon.
Twice the range, same strength as an assault cannon, 3 shots, no rending. Ion cannons are better. 12 inches better range then an assault cannon though!

Twin linked Plasma Cannon.
Two shots at imperial grade plasma strength. Not worth it.

Twin linked Missile Pods.
This is basically two twin linked autocannons. Very useful with decent range.

Twin linked Fusion Cannon.
Same stats as a multi-melta, but is a small blast weapon. VERY useful against terminators!
Old 19 Apr 2007, 22:18   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCKitsune
I think that the best model for Tau from Forge World is the XV-84. A Markerlight on a commander is worth it's weight in gold! I have a 115 pt Shas'El with Missile Pod/Shield Generator/Targeting Array that gives me plenty of accuracy and can bust transports at the same time.

Now, you were asking about Tetras... I haven't played with them, but the idea of a BS 4 Markerlight (of course you're getting the Targeting Array) on a FAST vehicle is a great idea. The only problem is the weak armor... just be careful with them and they should do you a world of good.

can the xv-84 move and fire its marker llight in the same turn. also, can the xv-84 benefit from its own marker light hits?
Diavolos1981 is offline   Reply With Quote