Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Psychology of Tau Opponents
Old 18 Apr 2007, 05:51   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Psychology of Tau Opponents

I have a two part question.
So some of you super crazy people probably remember this from my form about Shooty Nids, but almost all of you do not. I started playing Warhammer with 3 friends. Strangely enough they play Nids, Chaos, and Necron. I'm 2-0 against the Necrons, and 1-0 against the Chaos, even though many people regard them as the hardest races for tau to play against. It is also a general consensus here that Tau wont stand up to most races in a strait shootout.

Question 1) Which races will (Generally) beat Tau in a strait shootout, no cover, no terrain, no assault.

Now the interesting part. Of course I've studied Tau more then my friends, but they all think that tau are the campers of 40k, who can sit in a spot with a Railguns and Pulserifles, and snipe for the win.

Question 2) Is that good for me?

If my opponent thinks that my main strength is my static firepower, is that going to be helpful to me? Do you think many people think that about Tau? Also, how do you think I can play on this, and use it to my advantage?

Thanks,
Dredrick
Dredrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2007, 05:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90
Default Re: Psycology of Tau Opponents

You could have two units or kroot hang back, along with your FW's and shooty stuff, and when he gets close, pounce on him. And who cares if Tau camp or not, its called static tau. theres also mech tau, and hybrid. And you could also pull the FOF tactic on him ( fish of fury) Load up 10-12 fire warriors in devil fish, have about two or even maybe three, speeed forward, deploy twelve inches, and* rapid fire 24* shots into him, along with any weaps the devil fish has. Then he almost cant assault you, because of the tank and drones in the way. Teach them that the Tau can be mobile too.

and if anyone will beat the tau in a straight shoot out, it might be necrons because of there WBB rule. but other than that, I cant think of much that can beat a pulse rifle.

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Grunt90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2007, 06:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

If they think Tau are mega-campers, then make a MEQ army. Surprise them. Just like shooty nids surprises other players. Go ahead and tank shock them after making their morale low w/ markerlights and surrounding them (in this scenario, THEY ALL DIE!! and your fish can fly over your units). Get them surprised, plant the seed of doubt, exploit it. GO OUT AND PWN!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Serious?
Dark Ace Cypher with the power of cliffing!
[quote=TheCuriousMonke]
[b]"You must bake muffins for the Greater Good."[/
Ace cipher zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2007, 06:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've had my statc lines ripped apart by a genestealer army with a flyrant and 2 shooty-fexs, I'm suprised your Tyranid opponent hasent found out how easy it is to take down a static line. Pretty much the same happens against my Chaos budy who uses a Khorne army with a tooled up deamon prince (can you say 1st turn charge _) and a Bloodthurster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredrick
If my opponent thinks that my main strength is my static firepower, is that going to be helpful to me?
It could help if you want to set up a trap, or a dirversion. Just set up some static units in the best defendable spot ( cover, etc.), and let your opponent focus on them, while you use other elements of your army to hack away at their army.
Old 18 Apr 2007, 07:03   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Iron warriors? with four heavy support and choices like basilisk plus power armour. Or perhaps eldar, I'm not sure.

They might be able to give Tau a run for their money in a static shootout.

The problem with the Iron Warriors is their firepower isn't so maneuverable. Tau's firepower is ridiculously powerful in the sense it can manoeuvre so well. Hammerheads can move 7", and still fire both weapon systems while only being able to be hit by glancings, with a MT+TL.

I don't like static Tau. Manoeuvrability is key for me... But whatever floats your boat, really.
Sarcasmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2007, 08:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to firewarrior123

I'd say the only armies capable of out shooting the tau would be either the eldar or necrons, although they'd have to have a lot of luck.

Just for a tactical idea, you could charge two units of kroot at them, hopefully drawring the fire of most of the army for mybe a turn of two, giving you a good opportunity for your pulse rifles to kill heaps of stuff. then put most of your FW in some DF and fish of fury him.
firewarrior123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2007, 10:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace cipher zer0
If they think Tau are mega-campers, then make a MEQ army. Surprise them. Just like shooty nids surprises other players. Go ahead and tank shock them after making their morale low w/ markerlights and surrounding them (in this scenario, THEY ALL DIE!! and your fish can fly over your units). Get them surprised, plant the seed of doubt, exploit it. GO OUT AND PWN!
First: Markerlights can only reduce the enemy´s morale for pinning.
Second: When a unit is surrounded they have to move out of the way. There is nowhere stated that they die if they cannot. This of course is only true if they pass their moralecheck, because if they draw back they are dead. So, without the aid of markerlights (which cannot do this) this strategy becomes rather obsolete, as you have to risk many units by moving them in a position where thy can easily be shot, and all this for the small chance of getting one unit...

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2007, 10:30   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredrick
Question 1) Which races will (Generally) beat Tau in a strait shootout, no cover, no terrain, no assault.
Imperial Guard. Hands down.

I've reduced countless Tau armies to ruin with the Guard. I've blown them up with artillery, obliterated them with thanks, even rushed them with Mechanised and stormed their lines. Any Tau player who thinks he can sit back and out-gun the Guard, particularly SIGAFH[sup]1[/sup] or TALOSITAP[sup]2[/sup] armies, is in for a very unpleasant surprise...

Quote:
Question 2) Is that good for me?
Depends... if your opponent is incompitent, then he'll believe all you can do is sit and shoot. If he knows how to play, he'll expect you to be mobile.

[hr]

[sup]1[/sup] Shooty Imperial Guard Army From Hell. These armies sit still for five turns, and pump out enough firepower to level a city block.

[sup]2[/sup] Throw A Lot Of Shit Into The Air and Pray. These armies can hurl an obsurd amount of barrage weapons your way. Typically, they are Krieg based (indeed, the use of Krieg Artillery is essential), and can pump out up to 9 Str 6 Ap 4 Ordnance Templates, or up to 36 Str 5 Ap 5 Blast templates a turn, or any combination thereof... and that's just from their Heavy Support section!
Realistically, the only way for Tau to fight this army is to charge forward as fast as possible, get into the blind-spot of the guns, and fire. That assumes, of course, you have anything alive to move after the first turn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2007, 21:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Psychology of Tau Opponents

I agree, IG wins in a stand and shoot match. Sure, you'll shred lots of infantry...but they simply have enough to spare.

I also disagree that chaos is hard for tau to deal with. They're like MEQs, only with less models to kill in exchange for funky upgrades. Remember, demons that aren't in combat go down really quickly to shooty. The only real exception is the siren lord cheese.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2007, 00:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Psychology of Tau Opponents

Hur~

- Mklights does not suppress ld across the board... only for pinning (I should have that ready on my desktop somwhere so I can just do cut/paste)

- Iron Warrior CSM will wipe the floor with static shotty tau in record time.

As to the question posted - whether the enemy's poor understanding of Tau capability can work in your advantage or not.

ABSOLUTELY.

Do they know you have a twinlinked BS4 melta gun performing rerollable deepstrike on their tanks?

Do they know that JUST as they're getting into charge range, you can pull up your skimmers to form a wall you can shoot out of but he can't charge through?

Infact, I think one of the biggest advantage of Tau is that there are so many tricks tau posses that the enemy does not know because 80% of players are marine of some sort. They barely know the stuff we can do with marker lights, deepstrike, JSJ, tough flying tank, etc.

;D
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote