Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau lifespan
Old 17 Apr 2007, 17:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Tau lifespan

I know the old codex mentions the Tau lifespan is about 40 years. Has that number begun to change in recent literature? Farsight is still around, as is Aun'shi (if the Battlefleet Gothic material is to be believed.)

This has a bit of bearing on my cadre - the summer campaign is set 100, 125 years before the Third Sphere Expansion. I was going to make fluff for two separate cadres, but if the Tau can now live longer, maybe that won't be necessary?
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2007, 17:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Tau lifespan

its just means that 40 years is substantially old, however, i've always believed that this is from the Tau perspective. 40 years of constant work is insane, no human would consider this 'fair.' SO- i think they live shorter then humans (with something like 60-80 as being old comparative to the human 40k lifespan of 100-105)
and that they spend their last 20+ years improving their community and relaxing.

I'd say your best bet is and even 70 years old for Tau.
Old 17 Apr 2007, 18:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Need I point out that the average lifespan of an imperial citizen is 20 years or less.

Only space marines, or the incredibly wealthy are able to live centuries or millenia at a time. The rest are worked to death in the manufactoria
Old 17 Apr 2007, 18:11   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

At this point I am not worrying about it. I would guess that their medical technology has reached the point where they can easily extend the natural lives of important members of the Empire. That is the only way that the timeline can really make sense any more.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2007, 18:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Man, today is my lucky day! The two people I wanted to weigh in on the subject, Calmsword and Khanaris, did right off the bat! (Thank you, Grogalmightly, for your comment, too!)

Well, alright! I won't fret then. I guess my commander will just be eternally young. This is science fiction, after all.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2007, 18:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

did the old codex say average life span was 40 or can live up to 40? (I sold my old codex, which was dumb :P , and reread the new codex so much i forgot what the old one said) and did they say that for all tau or just the fire caste?

if it was just the fire caste then thats great! not that many of the fire caste make it through the 16 years of required service to retire. this would greatly decrease the average life span of the tau due to the large number of deaths in battle. even if it does apply to all tau then the deaths of the fire caste and air caste in battle still drag down the average life span.

the tau also seem to be decently advanced in medical procedures. loads of tau have cybernetic implants that controle all sorts of different things. if that many tau have implants then the tau can probably easily replace any vital organs to extend the life of certain individuals.
cruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2007, 22:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

you can always say your commander has "pulled a farsight". if you remember in the old codex, it said farsight is 300 years old. from what i can tell, he has been using a life support system, retrain a new farsight, or the dawn blade is doing this to him. say its a life-support or a the 2nd option.
dragoniccam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2007, 22:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

Did it actually say something that amounted to "and farsight celebrated his 300th birthday. Fully 7.5 times what a Fire Caste lives on average!"(ok, so I ay have embellished, but it amounts to what Im asking )
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2007, 22:48   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

We get Farsight's age from the dates of quotes that he made and comments in the last codex. The old codex made a bigger deal about it, but the new codex does not. We also get the idea of Tau lifespan from Aun'shi's profile in the last book. It is much easier when you don't try to tie it all together precisely. Otherwise, you need either Puretide or Shadowsun (or both) to also be extraordinarily old, which likewise suggests that Aun'va himself is on the same order as Farsight in terms of longevity. I am happy just making the whole mass of them relatively timeless, making their relative ages scale as : Aun'va > Aun'shi = Puretide > Farsight > O'Kais = Longknife = Shadowsun > Kais from Fire Warrior. It doesn't really work with the full timeline, but it makes sense with the stories as I see them.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2007, 23:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I could have sworn that I read somewhere that the NATURAL human life span in 40k is at least 150 years...maybe because of drugs and tech and what not...