Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help with Tau vs. Chaos (1000 pts.)
Old 17 Apr 2007, 05:06   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Help with Tau vs. Chaos (1000 pts.)

Simple enough, I'm playing my friend Tau vs Chaos 1000 point game.
I'd like some help with this one. Some help with the army, but we're both new to the game, so I'm sure that stategic help will be more valuable.

I have...

2 Hammerheads
1 Broadside
1 Sniper Drone Team

3 XV8's (Weapons not glued on)
3 XV25's

1 Handful of drones
24 Fire Warriors
11 Kroot (don't ask)

He has...

Typhus
Daemon prince
chaos lord
16 Chaos space marine
4 Death Guard Space Marine
2 Chaos space marine bike
1 Rhino (Proxyd as a defiler)

The map is going to be 48" x 55"
We're either doing table Quarters, or Search and Destroy (I think it's called. Most victory points = win)

Remember that we're both n00bs, and some proxy's will be allowed.
What should I do to prepare, and what should I do in the game?

Help me tau online, you're my only hope!
Dredrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2007, 12:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Help with Tau vs. Chaos (1000 pts.)

You should equp the Hammerheads with Ion Cannons to eliminate the Chaos Space Marines. The Broadside can take out an Daemon Prince and 1 Rhino. The rest is unsure
Shas_O Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2007, 15:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

his best load out against you is flying daemon prince, and packed rhino rush.

Bring your hammerheads and xv88s. Instagib his prince as he breaks cover (stature and daemonic tough doesn't stack I don't think, and even if it does, I don't think the daemonic resilience helps against instagib) with the rail gun. pelt his rhino with everything else in your arsenal - unless it has daemonic armor upgrade, all nonkroot guns in your army is able to hurt it.
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2007, 17:28   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

O.k. I just found out that he's going to proxy his Rhino as a Defiler (Allowed). 2 Questions, 1 does the defiler have a stat line, or is it a vehicle, and 2, what should I worry about now?
Old 17 Apr 2007, 18:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Funshade

you have 4 heavy weapon slots.
I have half the weight
I will have five times the stamina
~those who never louse... always win~
Funshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2007, 18:28   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Ok, i think I confused people. That's not my army, but the models I have. I posted that because I dont have a lot, so if people start saying "ok, so you'll want 3 hammerheads, and 2 FW troops w/ DF" I cant do that.
Old 17 Apr 2007, 18:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

The defiler is basically a Chaos indirect artillery tank/walker, with a huge gun. The best way you have to deal with it is to deep strike a Monat with twin linked fusion blaster and a missile pod. If you have dismounted fire warriors, the defiler will tear them apart.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2007, 19:30   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

So if I were to ask for defiler stats-Which I'm not!-I would be asking for it's Front armor, side armor, etc. not toughness, armor save etc. correct?
Old 18 Apr 2007, 04:18   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

*!*!*!*END*!*!*!*
Ok, so the battle is said and done. Nobody really helped me that much, but I made due, and still feel like I owe Tau Online a miniature Battle report.

XV8 Crisis Commander Fireknife
2 Bodyguard suits, one similar to a Helios, one Fireknife

24 Fire Warriors

1 Sniper Drone Team

1 Railhead

1 Ionhead

He ran

Deamon Prince

Chaos Lord

8 Chaos Space Marines

8 Khorne Berserkers

1 Chaos Defiler

The scary thing was the Deamon Prince. He gave it flying, demonic stature, and some damn axe.

So I had no devilfish, so I couldn't mobilize my army very much, but I did what I could to keep the Warriors safe.

The field was intresting

Pillar l Tower

Wall

I deployed on the side with the forest, and he on the part with the pillar.
The game was Seek and Destroy, with Escalation. We deployed our HQ's and Troops, and I had 1st turn.

The board looked like this,

Wall
FW FW

Turn 1:
We both moved forward. That's It.

Turn 2: Same thing as last time. I didn't get any reserves, but he got his defiler. Hey gave it the ordinance blast, but didn't realize how problematic a minimum range of 36" is, on a 48" x 55" board
KB DP Wall
FW FW

Turn 3:
Tau - My sniper drones came in, and I deployed them by the large hill, about 20-25" from the Korne Berserkers. They took shots, and snagged 1-2 of them.
Chaos - Interesting time... He took an ordinance shot at my Sniper Drones, but missed with a 10" scatter, almost hitting my fire warriors actually. Then he had fun, deep striking 2 Obliterations over near the forest with my fire warriors. He didn't know that they couldn't assault the turn they came into play, but still had fun shooting at my crisis suits.

KB DP Wall
FW FW

Turn 4:
Tau - And god did look upon the world of Tau, and in an act forever ending the bleakness and uniting the people he hailed out to the Tau, "Let there be Hammerheads!" ;D
Got both in on the turn 4 2+ reserve rolls.
One Railgun, one Ion Cannon. I sent them both up by the snow globe. I took shots at the Obliterators with One squad of Fire Warriors in Rapid fire range. Not a damn wound. The other squad was about 8" in the forest, but my Crisis suits weren't. They took out one of the Obliterators, but failed to wound the other. Sniper drones got 1 Berserker. I couldnt fit both railguns along the edge of the board by the snowglobe, so the Ion Cannon hit the remaining Obliterator for 1 wound. The fun part was next. Railgun aims at defiler side armor, rolls to hit (hits) rolls to penetrate (6) rolls for damage result (6). 8)

Fluff note - My opponent once played against my Tyranid friend, and a single lictor found his Rhino. It also rolled a 6 for penetration and a 6 on damage, so it was decided that all his vehicles have Self Destruct buttons, and the lictor found it. This is the second time his pointless self destruct buttons have been a bit of a problem.

Chaos - Oh Christ, where do I begin.
The Deamon prince got me. That's about it. Hoped to the edge of the forest, and rolled a 6, on his damn difficult terrain test to assault my Fire Warrior squad. Retreated, and rolled 10 on their retreat. Off the board, 140 points gone. :'( Thank god he rolled a 2 on his consolidate check, and missed another assault.
Started moving Chaos Marines and Chaos Lord near my hammerheads. The Obliterator got one of my XV8's with a Powerfist. Also moved his Berserkers into cover.

Pillar l Tower
CL,CSM
KB Wall
DP FW

Turn 5:
Tau - Wiped half his Marines out with Submunitions and Ion Cannon. >
Other then that not much. Tried to Move Fire Warriors, but they got a 3 on Difficult terrain test.
In the assault phase, however, I finally god that damn Obliterator.

Chaos Assaulted Railhead, with only one unit possessing a weapon capable of harming it from the front, with his Powerfist. He actually lost 1 of the 5 marines to Fletching Dischargers. ^-^ His unit did nothing. He did however charge the other Fire Warrior troop with his Deamon Prince, killing 4 of them :-\, but they passed their morale check.

Pillar l Tower
CL
KB Wall CSM,HH
_________________________ HH
Snow
XV8 Globe
SDLarge Hill Forest
DP,FW

Turn 6:
The final turn.

Tau: Well, I Hounded his CSM squad, and finished it off, completely. As for the Deamon Prince, nothing I could do. Hope for a favorable assault, or at least to not be wiped out. That's all I could do. Nothing else in my power. Assault went moderatly well, loosing only 2 Fire Warriors to the beastly creature.

Chaos: Facing defeat, he did what Khorne does best, go into a blood frenzy and charge. Marched 6 inches at the drones, and due to bloodlust, was able to get another D6 movement. He rolled... a 1 ???. Thank god for me, because it left him 8 inches away from my drones. Didn't get the assault.
The Chaos lord just looked at the duel hammerheads and said "no" doing nothing (because of his strength 6 kai gun). Now a crucial part of the game. The final assault, between Fire Warriors, and the Deamon Prince. He struck me, and killed only 1 soldier. I in turn struck, and did the tau trademark, nothing. The one soldier, however forced a failed morale check, and pushed my Warriors 10", while they were only 7 from the table edge. Damnit.

Pillar l Tower
CL
Wall HH
_________________________ HH
KB Snow
XV8 Globe
SDLarge Hill Forest
DP

Total Victory Points

Tau -
Chaos Space Marines
Obliterators
Chaos Defiler

TOTAL - 465

Chaos -
Fire Warrior
Fire Warrior
XV8

TOTAL - 335

130 Points more for the Tau
A Solid Victory for the Greater Good!

Thank you for your time. Come to think of it, in 1v1 games, I'm 3-0-0 with my Tau, although all 3 games against other n00blets like myself, in 1000 point games. I didn't get much help from you guys this time! Come on Tau Online, You can do better then this. In any case, I'll excuse you this time because your so damn helpful overall . I guess this is also my 1st Battle Report, and a little longer then I expected. I hope it didn't put you to sleep, if your one of the 6% that would actually read it. Until next time,
Farewell,
Dredrick
Old 18 Apr 2007, 21:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

well done - the only improvement i could recommend is to nuke his ONE mobile element with more rail guns early and then massecre him.
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote