Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My love of Stealth and YOU!
Old 17 Apr 2007, 03:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Funshade
Default My love of Stealth and YOU!

just to make things easy i made a handy chart for all of you

(6)100% (9)97% (12)92% (15)83% (18)72% (21)58% (24)42% (27)28% (30)17% (33)8% (36)2%

(#) inches away %= chance to be seen

This was inspired by a debate i had between Eldar Pathfinders and Tau Sniper drone team. him and his OOOO look at me I'm in a forest with a 2+ cover save. so i made this because both the drones and the pathfinders have the same range. he might have a 1/6 chance to save at 36 inches. but i have a 1/36 chance to save at 36 inches.

Please use the chart. it helps when crunching numbers with everything stealth. people say well you cant stay at 36 inches. but it helps for going at one group of units at a time. take IG for example. if i come in the side where his troops are his artillery cant even find me to shoot. doesn't seem like much but when that devastator cannon has the chance to see me added on the chance to scatter. it pisses him off to no end
I have half the weight
I will have five times the stamina
~those who never louse... always win~
Funshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2007, 04:03   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: My love of Stealth and YOU!

Note the large drop-off between 18 and 24 inches. This illustrates why you want to jump to just outside the range of your Burst Cannons, then move 6", fire, and 6" back. The steepest part of the curve is right there.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2007, 04:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Khanaris is right! when i first saw the chart i thought of the stealth teams and how burst cannons seem semi suicidal. then i thought of the wondrous sniper drones being neigh invincible. YAY STEALTH!!!
cruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2007, 11:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

allthough it might seem suicidal. i mainly use it to flank near the beginning. so i can take on one group of guys at a time. kill those damn IG when there artillery cant hit me because they cant see me
I have half the weight
Old 17 Apr 2007, 11:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Artillery still has a 1/3 chance of hitting on the scatter die. If it scatters it will go a little further, possibly saving your stealths, but they are not immune to indirect fire.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2007, 12:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I find that my stealths die very fast, so I tend to use them as bait, or to waste my oponent's time, nothing better than charging his devastator squad of lascannons with a stealth squad and watching his fustration.
Old 17 Apr 2007, 12:11   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I think the tactic of get within 18" and then jet back is the best one, I've tried several and that seems to produce the best results.
High-Commander Darkblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2007, 12:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
Artillery still has a 1/3 chance of hitting on the scatter die. If it scatters it will go a little further, possibly saving your stealths, but they are not immune to indirect fire.
they are not immune. but to initeate a attack with the artillery, you still must check to find out if you can see them or not. so you cant just fire artillery at them regardless
I have half the weight
Old 17 Apr 2007, 12:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Actually, maybe it's just the way I play, or the people I play against, but I seldom lose many stealth suits over the course of a game. There's something very psychologically profound about that 50% (or so) chance that an entire unit might waste a full round of shooting based on the visibility check. On numerous occasions, after just one failed visibility check I've had opponents simply cease trying to shoot at my stealths in favor of other targets just not to risk it. Even if that stealth team is bearing down on them, they usually fire at something else just to make sure they don't 'waste shots'.

Granted, I'm selectively aggressive. If my Stealth are closing in on a unit, so too are at least one or two others (Kroot, Firewarriors, etc). Sure I may lose more Kroot and FW this way, but I'd have to lose 4 FWs or 5 Kroot before it becomes more expensive than losing a stealth suit. Usually I don't lose that many of either in a single round of shooting from a single enemy unit, so it's nearly always a good gamble.

Of course, that also means I have to keep a close eye out for fast assaulters. My friends have started fielding more of those in recent lists. I wonder why that is?
Shas lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2007, 18:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Good points made all, but I cant help observing that this title sounds pretty stalkerish. =P

That said, stealth teams are absolutely awesome anti-infantry tools.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote