Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ion Cannon vs. Railgun
Old 16 Apr 2007, 02:44   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Ion Cannon vs. Railgun

I know its kinda obvious, but which is better?(before you say in capital letters "RAILGUN, DUH, YOU RETARD!!",tell me if the railgun is so obviously better at both destroying heavily armoured vehicles AND troops, why would anyone be stupid enough to even meke the ion cannon? In other words; whats the point of it if Railgun is 3 times as good as it?!

PS. I know I've been posting alot and I mean ALOT of Qs. Just don't be annoyed. ;D ??? ??? ??? ;D

You know our world is screwed, the sun is exploding, the ozon layer melting, a huge meteor on its way to kill us, and we just want to blow ourselves up............yup I think were ****ed.........
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2007, 02:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Ion Cannon vrs. Railgun

Ion Cannon is good for MEQs and light vehicles, and it's quite cheap for what it does. Railgun's good for tank killing and lighter infantry(subunitions).
I'm assuming you're talking about these weapons on the Hammerhead, as it's the only place they compete for a slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2007, 03:05   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Ion Cannon vrs. Railgun

do they compete in a baracuda? wait dont answer that it'll take to long!

You know our world is screwed, the sun is exploding, the ozon layer melting, a huge meteor on its way to kill us, and we just want to blow ourselves up............yup I think were ****ed.........
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2007, 03:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Ion Cannon vs. Railgun

It depends compleatly on what you want to use the HH for. If your going agter light tanks (AV10-12), and or going after MEQ's, the IonCannon is the gun for you. If your going after heavy army (AV13-14), and/or light infintry, the railgun preforms better. Cost is another factor to look at, but first you need to determine what your buying your tank for in the first place.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 03:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to firewarrior123

the rail gun is obviously the best tank killer and can quite often take out more troops with its subunition, but the ion cannon which is good at killing a few troops is significantly cheaper. so your pretty much just making room for another unit which can help kill those extra troops.
firewarrior123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2007, 04:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewarrior123
the rail gun is obviously the best tank killer and can quite often take out more troops with its subunition, but the ion cannon which is good at killing a few troops is significantly cheaper. so your pretty much just making room for another unit which can help kill those extra troops.
Well, the tank killer part varies. Keep in mind that while it has much lower strength...you get three shots. So say, AV 10. With a railgun, you hit 2/3rds of the time and auto-pen. The ion cannon averages 2 hits, and thus, an average of 1 pen, and .33 glances. This is actually very handy against light vehicle squadrons. Also, unless you can template more than three models, the ion cannon is more lethal.

Keep in mind that the ion cannon saves you a significant amount of points as well. Sure, railguns are great, and they do some jobs(like killing monoliths), like nothing else can, but people who automatically grab it are ignoring a very good option in the ion cannon, especially vs any army with power armor.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2007, 22:15   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

An Ion Cannon is cheaper and is suited to more anti-infantry roles, it's efective mainly against armoured infantry, marines and Necrons. The Railgun is good against lots of massed infantry with the blast version, but is mainly the tank killer weapon but I'd prefer (and use) broadsides.
High-Commander Darkblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2007, 22:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

If I remember correctly, the Ion Cannon is statistically better at killing AV10-11 vehicles, whereas the Railgun can take out AB13-14 (They're even against AV12).

Against MEQs, an Ion Cannon has more shots and so would statistically kill 1.667 MEQs, whereas a Railgun would only kill 0.556. Against Tougher targets or those with better saves, the Railgun would win out here, and the Railgun is also good for killing masses of lightly armoured models/units with it's submunitions fire.

They both have their advantages, just depends on what army and units you think you'll be facing. Ion Cannon is of course cheaper, and for killing tanks I take one or two Broadsides as High-Commander Darkblade said above.
Old 17 Apr 2007, 00:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

One note- With an ordanance blast, you pretty much always get at least three models.

They are both good for differnet things, as said before. I run one Railhead and one Ionhead, to geta good spread of different effectivnesses and wepaons.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2007, 08:15   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

What secondary weapon system do you use for both of those Hammerheads?
High-Commander Darkblade is offline   Reply With Quote