Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Tau player
Old 15 Apr 2007, 05:19   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default New Tau player

Hey guys Ive just started up a tau army just recently and have only had 1 game with them so far. Ive been playing for over a yr now going through guard, Kroot, LatD, guard again and now tau in that time so Ive got a pretty fair idea on how to use them however some import would be great.

In my first game playing as Tau i was playing with 1000pts in a 2 on 2 match, 2 of my mates who i was vsing were playing nids and the guy i was with was using necrons in a capture point type game.

In my army I was using 2 XV8's filling my HQ slots up, 1 team of firewarriors, 1 broadside, and 3 lots of kroot that had 15 kroot per unit and extras like 2 had a single krootox and another had 6 hounds.

The game turned into a draw but some of the points i really liked about the Tau was how the Broadside somehow lasted 4 turns stuck in combat, my 2 crisis suits killing off my mates big shiny black tyrant with plasma and fusion blasters and the look on my mates face when he saw how many kroot i had on the field.

When since i use to play Kroot merc and still do from time to time I have around over 100 kroot models, 5 krootox's, and 6 hounds. My tau force is 2 crisis suits, 1 i converted into having a fusion blaster put inside his arm but general everything on them can be changed, 1 Broadside(hoping for a 2nd) 6 normal fire warriors, 6 Kroot fire warriors, 4 gun drones, and 3 converted XV15's from fire warriors and crisis suit parts.

That should give you a pretty good idea on what i have and all that so any suggestions on army lists and how to use everything?
skyblazer_mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2007, 06:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: New tau player

Oh, I find broadsides in melee are highly underrated. They may suck at hitting things, but the 5str, and terrific staying power provided you bring shield drones results in a severe roadblock. Personally, I love the buggers.

kroot are great...use them frequently, they mesh terrifically with suits and the like. I tend not to use both HQ slots in low points games, though...as you can generally spare an elite slot to get a significantly cheaper suit, and saving a few points translates into several more kroot or fw.

Most people will probably advise you to get more fw...but honestly, you can currently max your troop slots, and kroot are pretty solid, so I'd suggest not worrying about that for now, and looking at stuff you don't fill yet...a hammerhead, for example, is loads of fun, if you're into vehicles.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2007, 07:13   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: New tau player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
Oh, I find broadsides in melee are highly underrated. They may suck at hitting things, but the 5str, and terrific staying power provided you bring shield drones results in a severe roadblock. Personally, I love the buggers.
Unfortunately, given their cost, their staying power in close-combat is not all that much of an advantage. They are very hard to kill, but even a relatively inexpensive fast or infiltrating unit can keep them occupied for pretty much the whole game while they should be blowing up vehicles. This is why it always pays to back them up with Kroot. They are not that bad in close combat, but without power weapons, they can take quite a while to get out of it again.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2007, 07:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: New Tau player

Agreed. A kroot counter-charge is the best way to win the aforementioned close combat...at least, early enough to get proper use out of your expensive toys.

Use kroot well, use them often. I generally field more units of them than I do firewarriors.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2007, 09:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to firewarrior123

its good to have lots of kroot but you definately need to buy some more FW. I would suggest getting two boxes before moving onto a hammerhead and another broadside and after that you should definately get some crisis suits.
firewarrior123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2007, 10:47   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Well I'm not a big fan of the hammer head or the FW models personally and I'm trying to stay away from vehicles because its easier to transport battlesuits and smaller in a single case

With my firewarriors however I'm planing on splitting them into 2 groups of 6 as a support unit for my boardside. In my test game i used them to light up targets for the boardside to hit which i found worked very well but the weakness was that they we're a single unit.

Now Kroot are the true mainstay of my army and I just love the crazy buggers to much.

Ive got a 1500pt game coming up at the end of the week against my mate and I'm willing to bet hes gonna be using nids. He genestealer heavy with his army but runs carni's and tyrants in there as well. Since I'm only gonna have 1 boardside I'm gonna have to convert some of my gun drones into shield drones using battlesuit shields and a drill to make a hole to do it. If i had 2 more fire warrior shoulder pads i might be able to make another XV15 with a fusion blaster to help hunt down a winged tyrant since he sent me a msg telling me he just got some wings off ebay.

Oh yeah on the subject on XV15's has anyone else tryed to make some up using fire warriors and battlesuit parts before because i want to compare notes and see if theres anything i can use to help improve on their look. Basically their just a firewarrior model with their right hand missing replaced by a burst cannon, left hand is hold the underside of the cannon, shoulder pads on both arms, and the target lock with the drone antena glued to their backs. They look rather close to the XV15 pic's Ive seen on the net with only the burst cannon being different looking and the jet pack not looking like a part of a XV-8 jet pack.
Old 15 Apr 2007, 19:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

i havent tried to make any stealths yet, i do have some of the latest ones, xv25s i think...but i prefer to xv15. im going to try to make some out of a firewarrior and a little blue of green stuff, and a burst cannon. maybe if you assemle a firewarrior in the pose you want, glue 2 firewarrior shoulder pads, or maybe green stuff one like a '25s, cut the arm off at about the wrist and glue the BC on, so that it looks like his arm is inside the BC, then add some extra firewarrior type armour on the legs, [just make the firewarrior leg armour look bigger, greenstuff it then make the joint line type things...] then something for a back pack..maybe a marine one with the vents cut off and a antenna on it.

im going to make a team leader but using a marine body and legs, replace the legs with tau ones, a multi tracker thing[ the one that looks like an insects head with several eyes] for a head, then something like marine arms[although do the same thing for BC as above becuase tau only have 3 fingers.....] something like that
Old 15 Apr 2007, 19:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'd suggest getting a Megaforce kit. It has all the basic Tau parts and neccesities, with a little of many units. You can get more FWs, More Crisis, and some stealth suits and gun drones, along with a Hammerhead, Devilfish and Pirrhanas. Then, you should also get some sniper drones. If you need any help, just ask, and there will be many people willing to help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Serious?
Dark Ace Cypher with the power of cliffing!
[quote=TheCuriousMonke]
[b]"You must bake muffins for the Greater Good."[/
Ace cipher zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2007, 05:17   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

thanks for the help so far guys.

The megaforce kits cost $300 down here in Australia although if i order from over sea's i could scrap off about $80 this would still be outside of my price range.

Its comfirmed my mate is gonna have a winged Hive tyrant for our game this coming friday which is going to cost him around 200pts to field. Ive swaped my XV-8's over to carrying plasma rifle and fusion blaster but im debating over what their support system should be. The commander can have a shield generator since he'll already be BS5 but my other suit im not sure what to do with. In my last game both my suits we're considered to be inderpent charators since they were both commanders and couldn't claim anything. So incase we go on he same mission again im gonna leave my 2nd suit as a normal guy with targetting array. My fire warriors will be working in 2 squads of 6 each with a markerlight to help make sure my boardside gets those killing hits in and my 3 man stealth team will work on his genestealers with the aid of the Kroot.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 07:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Unless you're planning on fighting in close combat with your commander, make him a shas'el with a targeting array instead. Saves you 15 points for stats you don't need. His independant character status will protect him from any shooting attacks, negating the need for the shield gen. Besides which, it's very unlikely that you would ever survive all of those rending attacks or even one s8 monstrous smash, which you will take if you get locked in.

Also, seriously consider just camping your kroot and shooting him non-stop. Those stealers have a higher initiative than you do, and more attacks. Let him assault you through cover and force him to either strike after you or simultaneously with you. The kroot aren't that bad at shooting or CC, (hit on 4+ and wound on 3/4+, I dunno what a stealer's toughness is), and will take down a fair number of them before they even scratch you. Just don't let them get locked by that Hive Tyrant.

You might want to consider deathrain rather than helios for your second suit. The high strength and decent ap is guaranteed to pop off at least one-two stealers a turn for much cheaper, and can still be used to force armor saves on the Tyrant, with much better range. (Notice a pattern for avoiding/killing that Tyrant yet?) The commander should do fine, but if he doesn't kill that tyrant with the fusion blaster you are going to be in some deep Kroot dung. I would suggest going deathrain on him as well. The broadside should be enough to do some guaranteed wounds until it gets close, and then the SMS will shred up stealers rather nicely > .
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote