Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Sniper
Old 13 Apr 2007, 14:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Tau Sniper

Why doesn't the Tau include a an Elite Sniper unit like the Imperial Guard?
Shas_O Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2007, 15:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Tau Sniper

Fluff reason , it's not part of their tactical doctrine ( although it is starting to change with the addition of Sniper Drones ).

Real reason , to make sure Tau are not just a IG army with a alien theme and game balance .

Just think of how powerful a Tau sniper unit would be. If based on Pathfinders there would be 4 to 8 models with rail rifles , add marker light support and you have a very nasty unit that can hit on 2+ , wound MEQs on a 2+ , is Ap 3 so no armor saves for the majority of infantry models in the game , and is a pinning weapon ( which can be futher boosted by marker lights ).

I am your lighted way and I am your darkest day. -Godsmack
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2007, 15:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Because the Tau are not Imperial Guard, and we have sniper drones in the heavy slot already.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2007, 16:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to webkilla

ya - cheap pts for 3 TL sniper rifles, a markerlight AND cloaking

so loving it
Old 13 Apr 2007, 17:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Why would you wan't snipers. Sniper Drones kick arse. Forget pitiful sniper weapons that only wound on a 4+ and leave your enemy with thier armor save. Hit them with sniper drones that they can bearly see, and who are more likely to do a lot of damage.
Old 13 Apr 2007, 18:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

As stated,
Reason 1) We aren't the IG, nor part of the Imperium of Man. We jut happen to have a use for the disposable people who breed like rabbits...I menan IG ;D .
Reason 2) IIRC, the snipers have a 1/3*(insert armor save chance) chance of causing a wound. The Rail Rifle has somewhere between 15/36 and 25/36 chance of wounding a MEq, pending how high of a BS you put from Markerlights. Between BS 3 and BS 5.
Reason 3) Compared to a Sniper's chance to penetrate armor, we have 5/36 greater chance to hit AV 12.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but based on those, I'd much rather have the Rail Rifles than Sniper Rifles in my army.

Thank you Trogdor ;D
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2007, 19:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfagar
As stated,
Reason 1) We aren't the IG, nor part of the Imperium of Man. We jut happen to have a use for the disposable people who breed like rabbits...I menan IG ;D .
Reason 2) IIRC, the snipers have a 1/3*(insert armor save chance) chance of causing a wound. The Rail Rifle has somewhere between 15/36 and 25/36 chance of wounding a MEq, pending how high of a BS you put from Markerlights. Between BS 3 and BS 5.
Reason 3) Compared to a Sniper's chance to penetrate armor, we have 1/12 greater chance to hit AV 12.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but based on those, I'd much rather have the Rail Rifles than Sniper Rifles in my army.
Not quite: Against AV 12 the sniperrifle needs a double 6 (1/36), the railrifle needs only a 6 (1/6).

When taking the roll to hit in accord, the chances are:
Railrifle (BS3 asumed): 1/12

Sniperrifle: 5/216~1/43,2

The sniperrifle is practically useless, the railrifle a valid option (not near as good as the missilepod, though).

And for killing a marine:

Railrifle: 5/12

Sniperrifle: 5/36

So the railrifle is 3 times better than the sniperrifle in killing marines and 3,6 times better in popping vehicles. And the railrifle can be beefed up with markerlights....

Only thing sniperrifles beat railrifles in: Killing targets with T5+ and an armor of 2+
And then still the sniperrifle has a lame 5/72 chance to kill....

ERGO: Railrifle top, sniperrifle flop.

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2007, 06:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Sniper rifles are awesome at dealing with high toughness models, though, like greater deamons. Against such a target, rail rifles would be significantly less effective. Also, more importantly, snipers are reasonably cheap. Ratlings are as expensive as fws with photon grenades, and while being 0-1 does suck...they dont eat heavy slots.

In short, both have their advantages, neither is "better" overall, and they're distinctly different.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2007, 13:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Only thing sniperrifles beat railrifles in: Killing targets with T5+ and an armor of 2+
I'd like to point out a few things wrong with that statement.

Sniper Rifles do not become better at wounding until we get to T7. Rail Rifle will wound T6 on a 4+, equivalent to a Sniper Rifle. At T7 a Rail Rifle wounds on a 5+, slightly worse than the Sniper Rifle's 4+. This statement assumes we are firing at a target with a save of 3+ or worse.

Mathhammer
0.416• (30/72) chance to wound T5 2+ with any Sniper Rifle. 0.0694• (5/72) chance to kill T5 2+ with a Sniper Rifle.
0.333• (24/72) chance to wound T5 2+ with an unguided Rail Rifle. 0.055• (4/72) chance to kill T5 2+ with an unguided Rail Rifle.
0.444• (32/72) chance to wound T5 2+ with a Rail Rifle with effective BS 4. 0.0740• (11/144) chance to kill T5 2+ with a +1BS Rail Rifle.

An unsupported Rail Rifle fares worse than a standard Sniper Rifle, however this is can be changed by the addition of a single markerlight. (We'll assume you use a Sniper Drone Team for your rifles, and that the spotter's light hit). We must also take into account that the above maths only take into account 2+ save high toughness models. Against any other model, with a save pf 3+ or worse, and toughness 6 or less the Rail Rifle is clearly the better option.

Also, the Rail Rifle is an excellent tool for destroying light vehicles, transports with AV 11 or less, or Fast, Non-Tank, Skimmers of most types.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2007, 15:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
I'd like to point out a few things wrong with that statement.

Sniper Rifles do not become better at wounding until we get to T7. Rail Rifle will wound T6 on a 4+, equivalent to a Sniper Rifle. At T7 a Rail Rifle wounds on a 5+, slightly worse than the Sniper Rifle's 4+. This statement assumes we are firing at a target with a save of 3+ or worse.

Mathhammer
0.416• (30/72) chance to wound T5 2+ with any Sniper Rifle. 0.0694• (5/72) chance to kill T5 2+ with a Sniper Rifle.
0.333• (24/72) chance to wound T5 2+ with an unguided Rail Rifle. 0.055• (4/72) chance to kill T5 2+ with an unguided Rail Rifle.
0.444• (32/72) chance to wound T5 2+ with a Rail Rifle with effective BS 4. 0.0740• (11/144) chance to kill T5 2+ with a +1BS Rail Rifle.

An unsupported Rail Rifle fares worse than a standard Sniper Rifle, however this is can be changed by the addition of a single markerlight. (We'll assume you use a Sniper Drone Team for your rifles, and that the spotter's light hit). We must also take into account that the above maths only take into account 2+ save high toughness models. Against any other model, with a save pf 3+ or worse, and toughness 6 or less the Rail Rifle is clearly the better option.

Also, the Rail Rifle is an excellent tool for destroying light vehicles, transports with AV 11 or less, or Fast, Non-Tank, Skimmers of most types.
Yeah, but rail rifles only have BS3...what do sniper rifles hit on again...twos? Assuming that the spotters ML hits is optimistic, and lets not forget the cost.

A sniper team will thus get you three rail rifles, while the same points cost can grab you seven ratlings(sniper rifles). They lack the handy dandy stealth field, but volume compensates for many things.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote