Shas'Saal

Default Re: Pros and Cons of the Hammerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funshade
I would like to discuss a debate if you will. to compare

hammer head with rail gun and mandatory burst cannon 150pts
Two broadsides 140pts

So witch one is better to take?
For what purpose - hunting Infantry, hunting Tanks, hunting mixed content? Or for defense?

The HH has better movement than XV88, but on the other hand they are two and with TL Railguns.

If you go for mobile army and want to harass whatever flank you choose or whatever cover you need to blow from a side, I would take HH. Also HH can make a 'wall' for other units to force the enemy for target priority tests.

But for a more defensive role I would take the XV88's as they can punch more shots and they can re-roll due to their Twin-linkedness. And they also have SMS's (default), which can also work well in defense at closer range.

Joe
Old 13 Apr 2007, 13:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Comparing Vanilla units here, with only weapon upgrades, it depends.

The Hammerhead has some mobility, but this is nerfed due to its lack of a multi-tracker.
The 'Sides are ded killy, but completely static, so they depend absolutely on deployment.

A fairer assessment might be

Railhead w/Burst Cannons, Multi-trackers 160 pts
2 x XV 88 w/ Advanced Stabilisers 160 pts

Now they both have much improved mobility, and can fire on the move.

The broadsides will, point for point, provide more offensive firepower, but die easily to tank busting weapons like lascannons.
The broadsides also have the advantage of being two models, and still able to shoot if they take minor damage.

The Railhead does not provide quite as much offensive firepower, but is far more versatile due its speed.
It can zip across the table to threaten a target on a different flank, take some light infantry with its Burst Cannons if need be.
It is also able to provide solid obstacle to stop an enemy unit assaulting your squishier infantry in dire circumstances.
The Railhead also has front armour 13, meaning only weapons S7 and above can actually harm it.

All in all it really depends on your style of play.
If you want to cause a lot of damage: Broadsides
If you need something with a little of everything: Railhead

just my opinion on the matter.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2007, 14:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

It is really hard to compare the unit the way you have them set up, because I've never equipped either that way. My Hammerhead is always 180 points, and the Broadsides can vary between 200-230 depending on the situation.

I've started to lean towards Broadsides for my anti-tank/destroyer/MC role. I always missed with the Railhead, and I don't like the one shot. The Broadsides are slower and you will rarely claim an objective with them, but they are more reliable dealing damage. Instead of a rail gun, I pretty much only use ion cannons on my Hammerheads now.

So, I've been taking 2 Ionheads and 2 Broadsides for my heavy slot, and it has worked out very well.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2007, 14:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Funshade

230pts for 2 broadsides?

i mean you can add what you need like i tend to put mine with a shild drone just for the +4 invornarable. now if you give the head with a multi tracker and decoy lauchers. as long as you keep it moving 7 or more inches all shots will be glancing. the only thing with tanks is symply. if you glance it chances are you will destroy the railgun or stop it from moving with a stuned giving them the chance to penatrate.
I have half the weight
I will have five times the stamina
~those who never louse... always win~
Funshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2007, 14:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

2 Bass both with PR, team leader with BK, HWDC, SD X2, HWMT, and HWTL. It is expensive and I use it against SM, Necron, and large Tyranids, and it works really well.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2007, 17:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

IMO, both fufill very differnt roles, and depending on the situation you put them in, prefrom very differently. So I don't think it's fair to just throw both units out and compare them.

The HH is tough and mobile, so it can be used very aggressivly agaisnt both infintry and armor. However it's only got one railgun, so dependability is lost their, IMO. It only takes one roll on the penetration charts to take the HH out of the shooting game for at least one turn (and usually the effects are a lot worse).
For my needs I prefer a unit of broadsides. They are pretty tough, but what I really like is thier dependibility. I use a unit of 2, so that's 2 Railguns that are twin-linked. Odd are that your going to kill some tanks pretty fast, . I take railguns to take out enemy armor, and that's it. With the broadsides, I can count on them to do their job and to do it quicker then a Railhead. So IMO a unit of BS are better in the pure anti-tank role, which is the only reason I take railguns.
Old 13 Apr 2007, 20:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The Hammerhead vs Broadside debate goes way back, but really it's a matter of tactical necessity. You need to ask yourself if your list is more in need of firepower or mobility. Broadsides pack more of a punch, but they're stuck pretty much where you place them during deployment. Broadsides are mobile and relatively durable, but lack the reliable/consistant heavy punch.

The Tau army NEEDS good mobility AND good firepower to do its job. You just need to balance how you're going to get what. For example, I prefer a pair of Piranha to a Hammerhead if I also have a Broadside squad to back it up. Yes, it costs more, but I also have both the anvil AND the hammer while taking up only one heavy slot (Tau usually have plenty of unused FA to spare).

On the other hand, having a trio of hammerheads is quite handy for cases where the list relies heavily on XV-8 and XV-15s. It all depends on how your structure is set up, and how you expect to support which unit with any other unit.
Shas lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2007, 21:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

It all depends on situation and playing style.

For instance, my neighbor is very annoying with his large broods, but I also need to take out his biovore and carnifex. So I usually choose a Railhead for versatility. However, if he played a pure Godzilla force, then I would take Broadsides.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Serious?
Dark Ace Cypher with the power of cliffing!
[quote=TheCuriousMonke]
[b]"You must bake muffins for the Greater Good."[/
Ace cipher zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2007, 00:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to cyberzomby

The problem is, what do you take in an all-comers list ? Both ? And fill the last slot with 2 squads of sniper drones?
cyberzomby is offline   Reply With Quote