Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau CC Weakness - Not!
Old 13 Apr 2007, 11:52   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Tau CC Weakness - Not!

Many people I know tell me, "Hey, your Tau sucks in CC, haha, my marines/termie/genestealers/whatever will own your firewarriors anytime, any day!"

Well, so people would say that CC is the big weakness of a Tau army.

In my opinion though, it is a strength, rather then weakness.

Being weak in CC makes us die like fools in CC, most of the time. Because of this, we can reliably expect our units to break, being outnumbered, killed to below half strength and so on. This is a very, very good thing. As I play hybrid, I always make use of Kau'yon, the patient hunter.

The key to using this, is to make sure that enemy forces CANNOT consolidate into another unit of yours in their assault phase! Always keep your units 6 inches away from each other at least. Let the enemy come. Assault termies? Bring it on, my firewarriors/kroot will take your charge head on. A majority of CC players will immediately rush in, upon sighting a suitable, juicy, easy to kill target. The moment the Firewarriors break, will they probably will, "(trick here, DO not remove models in base to base, this will enable the enemy to kill more, hopefully bringing your unit down to half str, and getting outnumbered badly), cause your FW to break. They will consolidate, but find nowhere to go into.

Then comes your turn, move up to rapid fire range, open up with kroot, vespid, firewarriors and everything else. I ALWAYS use this tactic, and it works really really well. All I have to do, is make sure that the bait unit breaks, and being the, "weak" fighters we are, we should. Sacrifice in the name of the greater good at it's finest.

So whenever someone laughs at your firewarriors for not being able to fight, smile to yourself, and picture his assault units getting mowed down by rapidfire. Ahhhhh...sweetness. So, in closing, to the newer Tau players, do not get discouraged by the lack of CC power, everything has a purpose in the Greater Good.
mithrandiur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2007, 12:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Utsujin Send a message via MSN to Utsujin Send a message via Yahoo to Utsujin
Default Re: Tau CC Weakness - Not!

There is always the chance you will hold in combat though... It HAS to be in his combat phase.

Btw, a squad of 10 firewarriors took on a squad of 10 dark angels... and beat them TWICE.

DH
W:24:2:L:4
Utsujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2007, 12:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandiur
Many people I know tell me, "Hey, your Tau sucks in CC, haha, my marines/termie/genestealers/whatever will own your firewarriors anytime, any day!"

Well, so people would say that CC is the big weakness of a Tau army.

In my opinion though, it is a strength, rather then weakness.

Being weak in CC makes us die like fools in CC, most of the time. Because of this, we can reliably expect our units to break, being outnumbered, killed to below half strength and so on. This is a very, very good thing. As I play hybrid, I always make use of Kau'yon, the patient hunter.

The key to using this, is to make sure that enemy forces CANNOT consolidate into another unit of yours in their assault phase! Always keep your units 6 inches away from each other at least. Let the enemy come. Assault termies? Bring it on, my firewarriors/kroot will take your charge head on. A majority of CC players will immediately rush in, upon sighting a suitable, juicy, easy to kill target. The moment the Firewarriors break, will they probably will, "(trick here, DO not remove models in base to base, this will enable the enemy to kill more, hopefully bringing your unit down to half str, and getting outnumbered badly), cause your FW to break. They will consolidate, but find nowhere to go into.

Then comes your turn, move up to rapid fire range, open up with kroot, vespid, firewarriors and everything else. I ALWAYS use this tactic, and it works really really well. All I have to do, is make sure that the bait unit breaks, and being the, "weak" fighters we are, we should. Sacrifice in the name of the greater good at it's finest.

So whenever someone laughs at your firewarriors for not being able to fight, smile to yourself, and picture his assault units getting mowed down by rapidfire. Ahhhhh...sweetness. So, in closing, to the newer Tau players, do not get discouraged by the lack of CC power, everything has a purpose in the Greater Good.
Hmm, using units to intentionally die against horrible odds so you can make a better attack with the remainder is an old tactic known as "soaking off" from Avalon Hill board game days.

So absorbing enemies into your penny packets of FWs so your return fire can slay them on the next turn could be... Sponge Hunter!
Old 13 Apr 2007, 12:59   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsujin
There is always the chance you will hold in combat though... It HAS to be in his combat phase.

Btw, a squad of 10 firewarriors took on a squad of 10 dark angels... and beat them TWICE.
That is why you need to, first, remove your Shas'ui(if any), DO not remove base to base models so all the hidden powerfists and so on can still kill them. If you get enough killed, you will be outnumbered many to one, and below halfstrength, at leadership 7.

Anyway, this post was primarily meant to say that weakness in HTH combat is not bad as everyone makes it out to be, it can be pretty useful, as you are pretty much assured that your units will break.
mithrandiur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2007, 13:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandiur
That is why you need to, first, remove your Shas'ui(if any), DO not remove base to base models so all the hidden powerfists and so on can still kill them. If you get enough killed, you will be outnumbered many to one, and below halfstrength, at leadership 7.

Anyway, this post was primarily meant to say that weakness in HTH combat is not* bad as everyone makes it out to be, it can be pretty useful, as you are pretty much assured that your units will break.
Depends also on the tactics and strategy you are using. If you plan such a move from the beginning, it may well come true.

But if you happen to end up in CC during later turns and all other units are just not there to fire into those CC enemy assaulters, well... no help* :'( Although with some decent mobility and coordination you can achieve it also in such a situation.
As always with TAU, you need to THINK before FIGHTING, and even after the THINKING Part you need to COMBINE and ANALYZE choices and ASSEMBLE multiple strategies, not the Hurry-Hurry-Shoota-Boom way!

Joe
Old 13 Apr 2007, 14:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you want your unit to break it is better to take casualties from models in base to base. More than likely the Int of the fire warriors will less then your attackers, so you don't want to have a counter attack on the off chance that you will kill some enemy. You want to be more outnumbered, and you want to flee.

What you don't want to have happen is loose combat, fail your leadership, and then get killed in a sweeping advance. Why loose the whole unit just to be able to shoot at the enemy next turn when you can do the following and have extra shots against that unit?

What you do want to have happen it loose combat, fail your leadership, and since you have nothing in base to base fall back safely and rapid fire during your turn, as the enemy can't sweeping advance if you are not in base to base.

The only time you should keep fire warriors in base to base is if you are going to try and win combat. I did this the other night when a Zoanthrope charged my 12 fire warriors. My choices were stand and fight or hope to run away. I decided to fight, and my fire warriors killed the beast.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2007, 14:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to cyberzomby

Yeh what about a sweeping advance? Or the enemy consolidates 6 inch back to his lines to get out of harms way?

And if you take the models from base to base contact you've got youre objective. No more hand to hand combat so you can blast away in ure turn right?

cyberzomby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2007, 14:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you remove models in base to base, loose combat, but pass leadership you are still engaged and will pile in. Not what you want to have happen, but it is the risk you take.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2007, 20:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

The greatest ninjas ever in 40k are the Stealth teams. Twice they have taken on tooled up COs. Twice they have slaughtered them while staying at full health,
Tau Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2007, 20:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

An ethereal would really help this strategy out - I mean, if you're already planning on getting a squad of Tau jumped in CC, you probably didn't mechanize them. An ethereal will let you re-roll a leadership test, either passed or failed.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote