Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

FA choice
View Poll Results: What is the best official FA choice for Tau?
Gun Drones 15 71.43%
Kroot Hounds 1 4.76%
Pathfinders 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 14 Feb 2005, 04:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: Somewhere cliché, like... behind you, or in your room maybe. I don't know.
Default FA choice

I'm making this new army list and am having trouble picking a FA choice.

If you read this sentince, it will tell you nothing.
Old 14 Feb 2005, 04:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: FA choice

Not much of choice from Tau. Pathfinders are too expensive for what they do.
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 14 Feb 2005, 04:23   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

really, i just had to take the best of the worst, i think i would take a pathfinder team in a 2k pt game, maybe.
Old 14 Feb 2005, 04:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Drones kick @$$. *They pin, deep strike, have a jet pack, can harass infantry, pen. armor 10, have a 4+ save.... all for 12 points. *The only huge disadvantage is their ld. *If they fall below 1/2 str. *(assuming squads of 8) they will run and never come back. *I like to guard my commander with a squad of 8 drones, and have the commander with a burst cannon/plasma/multi. *It's one heck of a unit to kill, dishes out lots of damage, and protects your valuable commander.

Definitely drones! 8) 8)
Old 14 Feb 2005, 04:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

It comes down to which kind of Tau army you're fielding. If you face a lot of cover utilising armies, such as Eldar (Concealed Squads) then a squad of Pathfinders could be beneficial, and outright murderous, as markerlights remove cover saves--the perfect place for a submunition round. Other than guiding specific situational attacks, such as the above, they can be beneficial to units which suffer from lots of potential but poor rolling; ie, Stealth Suits. You could easily land a few lights, which in turn can be utilised to great effect by Stealth Suits. Crisis Suits can be configured to hit very well on their own, and have weapons that punch hard enough that only a few have to hit anyways. But Stealth Suits can be greatly increased with a few lights. Burst Cannons in that amount, hitting on 2's and wounding typically on 3's (for those power armoured types) or 2's for the rest of the 40k world, are quite problematic for your foe.

Gundrones however, do not require situational enemies or preferred foes. They're great all the time pretty much. They're fast, they play the cat & mouse game well, and are one of the most annoying harassment units--popping out, forcing a couple armour saves, maybe a pinning test on even the most steadfast armies, eventually gets under their skin. If that's not enough, they deepstrike and eat up to armour 11 (rear armour of a Demolisher) and easily grasp armour 10 (most everything else). Glancing is all you need to do, as armament destroyed is almost as good as destroyed when it comes to one of these meat wagons. Take away it's precious cannon and it's not that dangerous. The gundrones can be a cheap way to take care of barrage ordinance that otherwise would give you troubles. And also, in a bind, they're not the worst in combat with a good initiative and guard stats and an average save. They can at least buy more critical units a turn of fleet while they make armour saves for the greater good.
Old 14 Feb 2005, 08:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

Kroot hounds, the best of the worst!

Gundrones come in second but for 96pts add 30 and you can have 2 Fireknifes or a fish for less.

Kroot hounds allow you to buy the 16 kroot box and 4 hounds for a 20 squad, thus saving money ;D aswell as the special rules that penalise opponents when they run.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 14 Feb 2005, 09:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm voting for gun drones. I've started thinking of all kinds of interesting ways to use them (the idea of a suicide anti-indirect fire squad is one). Plus I think they look cool. O0 I just wish they hadn't gotten nerfed by the dumb Ld rule which is ridiculous given their cost. Hell, they're robots... they should be fearless even if they've got a neural net. They ought to function like worker ants for the greater good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzygamer
Gundrones come in second but for 96pts add 30 and you can have 2 Fireknifes or a fish for less.
2 crisis suits = 2 AP 3+ or better shots = 2 dead crisis. 8 drones = 2 drones dead = 6 more to go (of course they have to pass Ld).... and the 2 crisis cost ~1/4 more. Fish don't come empty though and when you throw in the FW squad and the upgrades they're more than double the cost. Plus both those choices are avoiding using a FA slot.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 14 Feb 2005, 09:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

why do we care about using a FA slot, as far as I'm concerned FA may as well not exist, kroot hounds are better last few points fillers and Crisis suits have 4 wounds so they dont die as fast as you seem to think, and even then, drones dont have plasma, AP2 and 4 weapons or S7 weapons.

although I'll agree that drones dont deserve the Ld4 rule, they are pretty much not as good as crisis IMO.

but when you kill the 4 drones required to nail the crisis team the drone squad is at Ld4 and is running barring a miracle, so drones are unfortunately as you said, screwed by the Ld4 rule .
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 14 Feb 2005, 10:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I go for drones as they are real cheap fpr what you get. Although PF can be really neat with thiermarkerlights, but then Id rather take the markerlights and a target ock on a FW group
Old 14 Feb 2005, 17:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would have to say drones...here's why:
1) Drones come in almost every boxed set you can buy! : I beileve I have about 26 drone parts laying around....

2) Drones vs Pathfinders - Drones win 'cause Twin-Linked BS 2 is way better than BS 3 anyday! Also Pathfinders get rather expensive quickly because of their priority of taking Devilfishes...also markerlights are better left for Human Aux squads, then the marker lights are ignored because the Aux unit isn't a big deal...

3) Drones vs Kroot Hounds - Again, Drones...Kroot hounds are absolutly pointless! Sanping at the heels of a retreating squad almost never happens 'cause the Kroot hardly ever break a squad...but that's just me...
Closed Thread