Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Drones on Vehicles - why?
Old 11 Apr 2007, 03:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Drones on Vehicles - why?

I just can't see the advantage of equipping any vehicle with Gun Drones over the Burst Cannon. The Burst Cannon is cheaper and seems a lot better.

Surely this noobe is missing some vital feature of the Gun Drone option.

What's the upside to taking Drones on Vehicles - and I'm primarily thinking Hammerheads(Railheads) and Devilfish.

Thanks for your patience.
Kazadvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 04:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Drones on Vehicles - why?

On a Devilfish, the Drones come standard and you cannot take Burst Cannons - you can upgrade to a Smart Missile System, but this "Warfish" costs a substantial block of points.

On the Hammerhead... dumb developers' idea, I can't see any point either.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 04:05   #3 (permalink)
Tyr
Shas'Saal

I get alot of mileage out of my little frisbee's. I don't upgrade to drones on my hammerhead, but as I feild between 4-6 devilfish and each dropping a little 2 gundrone unit that they are perfect for harrasing, Causing units to take multiple pinning checks, I normally keep a couple near my commander for IC protection and also throwing them in front of advancing units so they have to walk around them really slows down assault based armies. The are useful in a multitude of ways. Plus they are effectively "free" from a victory point perspective so I have no qualms about sacrificing them to hold up a unit or charging a lord to try to get one wound and therfore half his VP.
Just my two cents

"I have taken great pains not to laugh at the actions of aliens, nor to weep at them or to hate them, but to understand them."- Aun'shi
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 04:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Dra'Tuisich-Novae pretty much said everything I was going to. The only time I take drones on a vehilce is when it's already standard equipment. The only bonus it offers over the other weapons is that it's a pinning weapon, and the drones can jump out of the vehicle if need be (but I see little point in that).
Old 11 Apr 2007, 04:31   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well i DO know the drones that piranha's carry are wicked, and VERY useful. Other vehicles... not so much
Old 11 Apr 2007, 04:51   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

on the piranha and the devilfish they are very handy. they make for good speed bumps and multiple pinning checks for GEqs. and dont underestimate them, they can shoot pretty well from experience and those 2 guys can hold up entire squads of gaunts or conscripts.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it
every six months.

Teamwork is essential -- it allows you to blame someone else.

--thanks to DRobot
FiremaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 04:58   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

I would have expected them to be cheaper on Hammerheads than they are. As it stands, I rarely take them. But they do still force priority checks, and they can be a nice distraction if used carefully. And any strength 5 weapon is going to have a decent chance of doing some damage if ignored.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 05:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Drones on hammerheads are absolutely pointless. Not only are burst cannons far more effective, they're half the price!

Drones are only good on the vehicles they come free on, and even then, the warfish isn't always a bad thing.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 07:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to cyberzomby

yeh the warfish can be expensive but its a real pain in the ass from what ive read around here.

I like the drones from the piranha's though. Its like everyone said in here. Everyone is like meh drones. But if you deepstrike them behind a hidden bassy the bassy is gone ( If you at least dont throw 1's )
cyberzomby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 12:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Where in the manual( sorry sorry, I ment Codex) does it discuss the mechanics of drones from vehicles? I was trying to find out if they have to stay with the parent vehicle, or form a separate unit. From the replies here, it looks like they can operate independently - where would I find this?

So this would be different from taking Drones with 'Suits, right? If I take a 'Suit and a pair of Drones - they form a unit and have to maintain cohesion, true?
Kazadvorn is offline   Reply With Quote