Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Broadsides and Advanced Stablization System - must have?
Old 11 Apr 2007, 03:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Broadsides and Advanced Stablization System - must have?

I looked at the article in the Tactica sticky and I have to say I'm convinced that the upgrade of choice on the Broadside has to be the ASSys.

Unless I'm completely mistaken - and as a noobe I may well be - the primary mission of the XV88 has to be anti-armour. It's not that the SMS won't be good for taking out softer targets - but even the basic Firewarriors are capable of filling that role.

In fact, the more I look at it, the more I think the way to go with the XV88 is to swap out the SMS for TLPlasmaRifles and put the ASSys on it. Upgrade to a Team Leader and include a H/W multitracker as well.

What am I missing here?

Kazadvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 03:53   #2 (permalink)
Tyr
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Broadsides and Advanced Stablisation System - must have?

The A.S.S system is a really good choice for the broadsides. The manevourability it gives them allows them to draw lines on tanks alot easier.
The only other upgrade I would consider would be Targetting Arrays as it almost guarantee's a hit (and you really want your railguns to hit). The drawback being of course you need deploy them in a really good spot, with good lines of sight.

"I have taken great pains not to laugh at the actions of aliens, nor to weep at them or to hate them, but to understand them."- Aun'shi
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 04:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazadvorn
What am I missing here?
Not much, many Tau players love the A.S.S. system as they allow Broadsides some mobility. I use it every now and then, but depending on the army you face, you don't always need mobility (and it's not like thier much faster with the A.S.S.). Genestealer armies, Witchhunters, Khorne armies, thier all running head long at me, so in such games I just get more guns, .
Old 11 Apr 2007, 04:25   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I always give mine A.S.S. and a shield drone, works everytime
If he's in danger of being assaulted i A.S.S. him behind a FW squad or something less valuable
Old 11 Apr 2007, 04:27   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

I like it, but the fact that it takes up a Hard Point makes it a tough call sometimes. It means that you can not fully split a 3-man team's fire, nor unload with all of their weapons.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 05:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Whats the point of upgrading to TL plasma cannons if you have an ASS and no MT?

I mean, you can always fire the rails anyhow, and they are as good or better than plasma rifles unless rapid firing infantry....in which case, the SMS is cheaper and usually better.

ASS is handy, yes, but I don't generally use it. I take a HW MT, HW DC, and two shield drones on the team lead, and MTs on the other two. Secondary weapons systems vary depending on target. Expensive, but you get a LOT of milage out of your broadsides, and as a bonus, a coupla shield drones make them very survivable.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 05:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I generally take the targeting array. The reliability of my railguns allows me to make much more accurate battle plans and strategies, which I see as worth the risk of not being able to move. With a 72' range, and two teams, I can generally set up my Broadsides so I can shoot every point on the board that enemy vehicles can shoot back from.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Faolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 07:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to cyberzomby

last tournament I played with ass and 2 shield drones in a 2 man team and everyone said I was dumb and needed to take 4 shield drones ( never used up both of them btw because the 2 times I took fire I just moved them )

The ass came in handy a couple of times. But I also like the idea of the targetting array. Never used that one before.
cyberzomby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 09:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Yaifrog

In my experience, the A.S.S has been half-good and half-evil. On one hand, it allows you to move and fire a railgun, hopefully drawing a clear line of sight to one of those pesky Land Raiders and popping it open. On the other hand, my former broadside was blind, so it didn't do much good >
Yaifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 10:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I give my broadside A.S.S for the soul reason of deploying it behing a building and watching my opponent deploy all his tanks in the open. :shifty:
I then enjoy the look on his face when my broadside moves into L.O.S and blows his precious tanks up. >
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote