Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1000pts Newby List
Closed Thread
Old 13 Feb 2005, 09:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to WarmasterDevilfish Send a message via MSN to WarmasterDevilfish Send a message via Yahoo to WarmasterDevilfish
Default 1000pts Newby List

Right this is my first list so go easy its 999pts and can be found here

i'm still trying to decide whether getting some broadsides might help me, but then again, i don't know if theres any point with having the hammerhead in there. Maybe if i go to 1500pts, i might add 2 or 3 in, but either way....

Anyway let me know what you think.. like i said its a first list so it aint gonna be right, at least my first lists arent usually

I feel obliged to say this, my name has nothing, i repeat NOTHING to do with the Tau APC, i chose this name long before I even knew about 40k, based upon a Chinese old wives tale about a fish which can kill you when eaten, it either poisons you if you cook it for too long, or if you don't cook it enough. I feel that should answer your question as to why i am the "Devilfish" - Not reccomended for consumption

40k Armies:
Chaos - Khorne - 1400pts
Space Marines - Crimson Skulls (My own chapter) - 1000pts

Battelfleet Gothic Fleets:
Chaos - Khorne - 3505pts

Armies in the Pipeline:
Warhammer - High Elves - 2642pts - Now in many bits on my desk... only 100 models to glue and paint :'(
Warhammer 40k - Tau - unknown at present, still working a list
Old 13 Feb 2005, 10:30   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Location: somewhere in the UK, plotting to take over the world
Default Re: 1000pts Newby List

Ok, this review is going to be quite a bit damning as there is allot in this list I disagree with, and allot that has been proven useless.

Commander: 'O or 'el is a matter of preference, some prefer the higher BS, Ld and wound for the Extra 25 points some donít think it worth it, and for the record you should never make use of the extra WS and A. missile pod and fusion blaster is an odd choice, usually people go for missile pod and plasma rifle for taking out tough infantry or plasma rifle and fusion blaster for really tough infantry. So I would advise one of those. The drone controller is the worst thing you can ever give to a commander. With drones he counts as a squad and thus can be shot at, with independent character status if there is a closer target then you may not shoot at the independent character, thus giving him the best protection. The other thing is that without a multi-tracker you can only fire one weapon, with a multi tracker you can fire two.

Bodyguard: Bodyguards have proven not only useless, but also counter productive. As with drones if the commander is in a squad (e.g. if he has bodyguards) he can be shot at, if he isn't he can't. Thus make the bodyguards a separate elite choice, or even better make them two choices, this means that extra shots on a squad (like 4 lascanons from a devastator squad) arenít carried on to the next suit, they are wasted. It also gives you the option to move them around better, hide behind smaller cover and there are more squads for the commander to hide behind. Also standard crisis are cheaper by 10 points and only loose one WS. If you think you need WS at all out side of kroot you shouldn't be playing tau. Weapons wise drones aren't quite as useless as on the commander, but their still pretty useless. Although they do add some guns, and some wounds it stops you from taking a multi tracker which will let you fire two weapons, which is cheaper and provides more firepower, and remember that your crisis should always be hiding behind cover with their assault move, giving them the best cover of not been seen. I like the guns though. The standard fire knife (plasma rifle, missile pod and multi tracker) has statistically been proven to be the most effective unit.

Fire warriors: The Shas'ui is a matter of preference as is bonding, so go with what you want, like, can use, prefer. However the marker light is a much more debated item. Some can use it some can't, either way as it is its useless. This is because without a target lock the Shas'ui must fore with the rest of the squad, or they must fire with him. This means that either you fire at infantry and don't use the marker light or you use the marker light and waste 130 points of the best standard infantry gun in the game. Give the Shas'ui a target lock and it can fire separately, this does however make it a 27-point upgrade from the standard fire warrior. So itís a matter of preference.

Devilfish: A Devilfish must be attached to a squad, and as the pathfinders need to have one I will assume it is attached to them, although I will explain their use in a fire warrior squad. The devilfish itself is fine, however seeker missiles are almost useless, they require a marker light which would be better used guiding a rail gun, also they are very expensive for a single shot weapon and arenít as good as other tau weapons. Some people manage to use them with pathfinders but most don't. in a fire warrior squad it gives them mobility and best of all with two you can use the FOF tactic, check the sticky at the top for details but suffice to say it is the secret weapon of the tau.

Pathfinders: Generally pathfinders are a force multiplier, they make you big guns more effective and thus they become more valuable as the game size increases, for the same cost. From what Iíve heard they become worth their points around 1500 points and anything above that they work, but below that they don't, although this is a bit of a guess so I might be wrong here. Either way they probably arenít worth it is a 1000 point game, although I do know of people on the forums who use them effectively as anti marine units with rail rifles. So modified they may be useful, although difficult to use, but they probably arenít worth the points and the wasted devilfish as to use the marker light they must be stationary and not use the devilfish.

Hammerhead: dump the seeker missiles, and note that decoy launchers are more effective than disruption pods as often you wont be in the last 6" of their range, and below 24" it has no effect so go with decoy launchers as they allow you to re-roll an immobilised result, and remember that if you move over 6" (and you should to make all shots but AP1 glancing) immobilised makes you crash, and so you can't roll worse. Only other thing is how do the drones attack to the hammerhead? The space is taken up by the smart missiles. I don't understand how you do this but they probably arenít too much use as you shouldn't really get within 18", and smart missiles allow you to fire 24" from behind cover so keep that in mind.

Again I apologise if I was in any way rude as I had no intention of been so. And after all that I hope it helps.
P.S. I also apologise for any spelling mistakes, typos or grammar errors, I did put it through word but it is a very long post to completely spell check.

some people have told me to get a life but i can't find anywhere on the internet to download one

world domination planned for next Thursday
Old 13 Feb 2005, 10:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to WarmasterDevilfish Send a message via MSN to WarmasterDevilfish Send a message via Yahoo to WarmasterDevilfish

thanks for the tips...

as i said its my first list, and i kinda figured it wasnt gonna be good, but thanks for the VERY detailed info... i'll go and give it some reworking then come up with something else... probably involving the odd broadside or 2

edit:
right i've had a rethink - the new version is at the same location: http://www.theutherfish.com/pager/Tau.htm

I feel obliged to say this, my name has nothing, i repeat NOTHING to do with the Tau APC, i chose this name long before I even knew about 40k, based upon a Chinese old wives tale about a fish which can kill you when eaten, it either poisons you if you cook it for too long, or if you don't cook it enough. I feel that should answer your question as to why i am the "Devilfish" - Not reccomended for consumption

40k Armies:
Chaos - Khorne - 1400pts

Chaos - Khorne - 3505pts

Armies in the Pipeline:
Warhammer - High Elves - 2642pts - Now in many bits on my desk... only 100 models to glue and paint :'(
Old 13 Feb 2005, 12:25   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Bit of a newbie myself, but here is my tiny wad of experience:

I usually twin-link the crisis-suit guns on the BS:3 models ... which is every-one except the commander .... plus i prefer the plasma-rifles .... useful against almost anything ....

Old 13 Feb 2005, 12:50   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Warmasterdevilfish: you have a hammerhead and two broadsides, that could be considered quite overkill in a 1000 point game, you probably donít need one of the broadsides and you definitely don't need any seeker missiles, even with one broadside and the hammerhead. Also multi trackers only cost 5 points on a crisis, they cost 10 points when hard wired. This gives you a spare 65 points, now you could spend that in may ways, you could get another fire knife but 2 is enough for 1000 points, and with 3 there may not be enough cover so personally I would take out the marker lights and give the other squad a devilfish, leaving you with 19 points which I would spend on giving your commander a plasma rifle as you have enough anti-tank already, give each devilfish decoy launchers so that they arenít shot down so easily (and if they get blown up then your fire warriors in a FOF tactic get exposed to assault) and have 5 points to spend somewhere, probably on the hammerhead.

Tau-le: if you look at this page http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=3554.0 you can see that actually the standard fire knife comes out on top when it comes to killing.

some people have told me to get a life but i can't find anywhere on the internet to download one

Old 13 Feb 2005, 12:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i should have explained this previously.. the reason i am gearing towards anti tank is pretty key to this list.. i have only 4 words.. iron warriors tank whore...

i'm gonna try and use the magnetic idea suggested in the conversion section if i can, but this list is mainly up against tanks, so i need them rail guns in the long run... Plus once the tanks are popped, i can start popping high toughness so i don't end up with them in cc, which won't be nice (i play chaos myself, and i know what cc can do to tau)

40k Armies:
Chaos - Khorne - 1400pts

Chaos - Khorne - 3505pts

Armies in the Pipeline:
Old 13 Feb 2005, 17:10   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

In which case you have 25 points spare from the fact multi trackers only cost 5 points, get rid of the seekers and swap the smart missile system for burst cannons and you can buy another broardside, put it with one of the other broardsides and give it a target lock. That broardside will serve you better than 4 seekers.

Old 13 Feb 2005, 20:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

well if its antitank you want you've got it right there, might be a bit overkill though, even if it is IW.

drop the seekers and the ML's in the shas'ui's and you have anough for a fish for the second squad so they cn run when it comes to crunch time aswell :.

the lack of crisis is worrying when there will be obliterators (at least I hope he's that smart :P)
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Closed Thread