Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fighting Dark Eldar
Old 11 Apr 2007, 01:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Fighting Dark Eldar

My friend and I faught (my tau vs his dark eldar) on a mainly open board with a bit of terrain. I think we played only about 750 pts. How can i get rid of his dark lances, which were the main reasons for my loss. Do you guys think I should use a hammerhead, or sumthing else.

thanks
pwner50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 01:47   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Fighting Dark Eldar

Dark Eldar?

Well i personally never have fought them yet, although i defiantly want to. But before i can really help, what was your list? and did he have alot of transports? or just on foot fleeting the whole time.

Well, anyways i'd DEFIANTLY try to fit as many hammerheads as possible, two ought to do it, because yes lances bring it to 12, but thats still a 4 + to even do anything, plus that submunition round is murder on those lightly armoured Eldar i'm sure
Old 11 Apr 2007, 02:19   #3 (permalink)
Tyr
Shas'Saal

Are you talking about Dark lances in squads, on raiders or on ravagers (?), The answer to all of the above is firewarrioirs, as they can hurt all of them, They are really good at taking out Dark eldar warriors as they kill on 2+ when they aint in cover, glance a raider on a 5 and glance a ravager on 6's. Put 12 fire warriors in a devil fish and the can take out anything the dark eldar throw at you (with the exceptions of grotesque's and their special character ravager), plus the dark lances ability to drop armour to 12 does nothing against a devilfish.

"I have taken great pains not to laugh at the actions of aliens, nor to weep at them or to hate them, but to understand them."- Aun'shi
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 02:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Fire warriors, pirahnahs, many things work against Dark Eldar. With our many, many S5 weapons lances really aren't a problem for me, It's the speed I have problems with(still pull out wins though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 02:45   #5 (permalink)
Tyr
Shas'Saal

Yea speed is what Dark eldar are all about. A 32" first turn assault by an archon can really ruin your day.

"I have taken great pains not to laugh at the actions of aliens, nor to weep at them or to hate them, but to understand them."- Aun'shi
Old 11 Apr 2007, 03:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well for the answer, I used 3 Stealthsuits (which were useless), 3 Crysis suits (all had fusion blasters, plasma cannons, and missle pods. Same as my battle suit commander. I also had 1 fire warrior squad.

The dark lances that affected me were the ones the troops held, especially since they were 36 inches, and my fire warrior shooting distance is 30 inches. so... I guess I'll take tanks instead of the suits. U guys think thats good?

Oh and his only fast moving things were bikes, but no vehicles.
Old 11 Apr 2007, 03:16   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

In such a small points game, you seem very elite heavy.

I would drop out the stealth suits, as you said they were useless (and with their limited range, I know what you mean). I think Stealth Suits are better suited to larger games where they can act as a support unit, or themselves be supported. Alternatively, they do have infiltrate... if you and your friend were using a scenario involving infiltrators, the stealth suits could be quite deadly, as could a large kroot squad, assuming you could find a nice forest to hide in.

You say that you only had one unit of Firewarriors? Well, you need two troops, so start there. The cheap Kroot, or another FW squad will fit the bill nicely. Your HQ sounds fine, but in a smaller game (and in particular against DE) the Fusion Blaster seems to be a waste of points IMHO. If you had all your suits (HQ included) armed with plasma rifles, missile pods and multi-trackers, they would be pretty deadly against anything in his army, and would be able to fire two weapons in a turn, both at decent range.

Was your HQ a Shas'o, or a Shas'el? If you take the Shas'el (cheaper, makes sense in a smaller point game) you could also throw a targetting array on him (then just make the multi-tracker hard wired) and you'd have the highest BS possible on your less-expensive HQ, all the better to use the two weapons and the multi-tracker.

Your missile pods are range 36", so theoretically, your XV8 suits should be able to outmanuever his Warrior squads by moving into firing range, blasting at them with missiles, and then using your JSJ to get back 6" (and out of his lance range). Since the missiles are AP4, unless he is in cover, that's some dead Warriors.

I think that taking the Shas'el, a 3-man Crisis team all kitted out as I suggested, and two 8-12 man Firewarrior squads would be a good base... then build on it with some Kroot (infiltrators) and possibly some infiltrating stealth suits, but only if you are using infiltrate. Otherwise, consider taking some Krootox with a large Kroot squad. They can't infiltrate, but they have Str 7, Ap 4 guns that are 48" rapid fire... so you can pick him off from a distance.

Well, that's some food for thought anyway. Hope you find it helpful.

EDIT: Just ran some numbers, here is the basics of that list...

HQ - Shas'el
- Plasma rifle, missile pod, targetting array, hard-wired multi-tracker

EL - Crisis Team
- Shas'ui team leader w/ plasma, missile, multi-tracker and bonding knife
- Shas'ui x2 w/ plasma, missile, multi-tracker

TR - Firewarrior Team #1
- Shas'ui with bonding knife, pulse rifle
- Shas'la x9 with pulse rifle

TR - Firewarrior Team #2
- Same as above

Assuming my math is right, that's 532 points. In a 750 point game, that would leave you 218 points, which leaves alot of options, including:

- A Railhead, loaded to the teeth
- A large (18-strong) kroot squad (Shaper included) and two Krootox on top of that
- 3 Piranhas, with burst cannons and various other upgrades (targetting arrays and decoy launchers)
- Just about anything else you can fathom.

Alrighty, back to work, LOL.
Commander Lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 03:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

ok thanks a lot guys
Old 11 Apr 2007, 03:25   #9 (permalink)
Tyr
Shas'Saal

Stealths should be awesome against dark eldar. Just jump shot jump from behind cover. And stay away from his jetbikes, also flanks are the perfect position for stealth teams as it makes the most use out of there stealth feild special rules.Possibly give your unit Targetting Array's for additional damage output.
So he doesn't have any raiders. I am assuming from what you are saying that he stayed 36" away and shot you? If this is the case walk your firewarriors to 30" then he either shoots you with his maximum of two dark lances (not overly effective vs infantry) and in the next turn recieves 10+ pulse shots which should kill about 4 warriors or retreat and not shoot his heavy weapons at all.
I would also recommend tuning down the crisis suits a bit to free up points, Possible death rains, (Twin linked missle pods) and a targetting array, the are the same range as the dark lances and should be using there assault move to hide. (Also I am not sure about this but from memory his bikes only have a 4+ save so the above config should just about gaurantee a kill if not two on his jetbikes if he doesn't boost)as three weapons with no multitracker means you can only fire one a turn at BS 3 which isn't overly effective.

Old 11 Apr 2007, 05:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Personally, I just get happy with firewarriors and armor, and it works out pretty well for me. A coupla kroot is worthwhile as well.

The big thing is that his transports are fragile as heck. If theres more than one alive after your first turn of shooting...either they're behind cover, or you're doing something wrong.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote