Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is it Possible!?
Old 09 Apr 2007, 23:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Is it Possible!?

for quite some time i have been thinking up lots of different questions about the tau but i never really thought that they were important enough for a new topic. so i will now ask multiple questions (some about the game itself others about fluff) in a single topic. MADNESS?!?!?!? MAYBE!!!! so to make it easier on every one, almost all of these questions can probably be answered with a simple yes or no.

1. the tau seem to use drones quite a bit, now more then ever thanks to the new sniper drones. would it ever be possible that GW will ever make a drone army list similar to the the kroot merc army list? http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...st/default.htm

2. the many drones the tau use have an artificial intelligence. would it ever be possible that the drones could rise up against their tau leaders like in so many sci-fi movies?

3. the tau seem to have a decently powerful and effective space force as well as highly advanced anti-gravitic technology for their land vehicles. not only the tau but most races of 40K seem to concentrate most of their vehicle either on Land or space. is it possible that the tau (or any other races for that matter) would have use for either trains or boats? (think less steam power and more mag lev bullet trains and atomic aircraft carriers)

4. in the imperium of man most, if not all, information that is spread publicly is more along the lines of propaganda and religious degree. the tau seem to be reasonably dedicated and equally spread in all areas of development and advancement. because of this it does not seem to be unreasonable that the tau would have free flowing information to any and all members of the tau empire. is it possible that the tau would have an open form of education and/or entertainment? (do tau have TV?) (in an unrelated story http://uk.games-workshop.com/convers...correspondent/ )

5. the tau fire caste seem to hold honor as a decently important resource, not to a fanatical amount as the spacemarines do but still of great importance. the water caste, however seem to be sneaky, slippery, and generally difficult to get a straight answer from. is it possible that honor is necessary to obtain the greater good?

6. is it possible to hate anime but love the tau? :
cruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2007, 23:21   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Is it Possible!?

1. I have thought about writing up an army built by an insane Earth Caste obsessed with drones. But I doubt we would see an official list. GW seems to be steering away from Chapter-Approved-style lists these days.

2. Maybe if their intelligence was increased. As it stands, that would be a little like an army of squirrels rising to overthrow the United States. The artificial intelligence of drones is not suited for higher-order processing. That may change in the future, at which point they might grow to pose a threat. I like to think of them as Tachikomas.

3. The Tau do use Grav-trains of some kind. You can see them in some of their concept art and in the stories. Hard to say about watercraft. Most Tau worlds are fairly arid. I imagine they would have an amphibious version of the Devilfish with a different type of propulsion.

4. Tau do have a kind of mass-media, more so than the Imperium. It is hard to say how much of it is propaganda, though. Opinions on the matter vary.

5. The Water Caste may just have a different kind of honor. One face for business, and another for the Empire. They probably do not cheat each other or the other castes very much, or else the Ethereals would quickly put a stop to it.

6. It appears to be. A number of Tau players on these forums have claimed to hate anime at one time or another.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2007, 00:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruton
1. the tau seem to use drones quite a bit, now more then ever thanks to the new sniper drones. would it ever be possible that GW will ever make a drone army list similar to the the kroot merc army list? http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...st/default.htm
I dont think that GW feels any urge to design a Drone style specialty list... it seems to me that Tau has ballen to the backfield since their new codex came out.. I havent seen a WD article or website update ever since that time. But thats not to say that you cant make an all drone list. Field drone squads, attach drones to everything, and maybe squeeze in a piranha group for a truly huge drone squad. MarkerDrones can accompany the stealths or firewarriors, and Sniper drones would fill out the heavy slot. You could call it an 'exploratory force', where manpower isnt really required, and a massed drone presence will be more cost effective, logisticly more effective, etc.

Quote:
2. the many drones the tau use have an artificial intelligence. would it ever be possible that the drones could rise up against their tau leaders like in so many sci-fi movies?
This has actually happened to the Imperium of Man in their 40k history... this in fact is what caused the 'dark age of humanity'... "Iron men" (AIs) rebelled against "Golden men" (dunno exactly), and the machines and computers turned on the imperium and caused much death - and more importantly; a deep distrust of machinery and computers for many many thousands of years to come. The Tau, however, have a thing called the "Greater Good", and its not just a motto, its an actual way of life. It seems reasonable that Drone intellingences would also have this Greater Good instilled in them upon construction, and it wouldnt be a set of rules that could be fought against or shaken off... nope, it would simply be the basic reason for being. So a rebellion would be very unlikely.

Quote:
3. the tau seem to have a decently powerful and effective space force as well as highly advanced anti-gravitic technology for their land vehicles. not only the tau but most races of 40K seem to concentrate most of their vehicle either on Land or space. is it possible that the tau (or any other races for that matter) would have use for either trains or boats? (think less steam power and more mag lev bullet trains and atomic aircraft carriers)
After a space faring Civilization attains a level of technology where hauling something into orbit is about as routine as a Big Rig driving out of state.. then a lot of the hard work of moving things around is eliminted. It would be simpler to launch a shuttle to low orbit and bring it back down on some remote island, than it would be to build, maintain, and fuel, man, and whatever- a waterborne transport ship to do the same job, and with much less versatility (as the same shuttle can make a supply trip to a mountaintop, or the moon on its next run). Same goes for massive across land moves over great distances... if its easy to lift it up to orbit, then... if you follow my meaning... all you have to do is lift it up from Cape Canaveral to orbit, and that is all the movement you would ever have to make.. to move anything anywhere in the world.. as all youd have to do is hang glide in at the right spot. So, to answer your question: After attaining advanced space tech, land and water based transports lost all purpose.

Quote:
4. in the imperium of man most, if not all, information that is spread publicly is more along the lines of propaganda and religious degree. the tau seem to be reasonably dedicated and equally spread in all areas of development and advancement. because of this it does not seem to be unreasonable that the tau would have free flowing information to any and all members of the tau empire. is it possible that the tau would have an open form of education and/or entertainment? (do tau have TV?) (in an unrelated story http://uk.games-workshop.com/convers...correspondent/ )
This hangs a lot on the way of life- Greater Good. TV would never be negative, or argumentative, or you know my meaning... sure there would be propaganda, and maybe some flat out lies... but.. ultimately, it will all align with the greater good. Of the Tau Empire. While there may be one sided reports on things to make the Empire look as perfect as possible, A great deal of Truth would be included... look at the reporters and journalists, that also live by the greater good throgh and through... they would do their job a certain way if that way was counter to the greater good, and they will do their job, and do their job right. Willingly... yay, Greater Good!

Quote:
5. the tau fire caste seem to hold honor as a decently important resource, not to a fanatical amount as the spacemarines do but still of great importance. the water caste, however seem to be sneaky, slippery, and generally difficult to get a straight answer from. is it possible that honor is necessary to obtain the greater good?
Water Caste members can be slippery without ever being dishonest or dishonorable. They dont make deals that totally screw over the other guy... they dont con anyone. Nor hussle. I like to envision that Water Caste traders get such a bad rep because the imperial hustlers cant seem to get anything over on them.. and they always wind up paying exactly what a product is good for, with exactly enough profit margin for the deal to be worthwile to both sides. Of course this would make other traders and diplomats grumble quite a bit. First Contact negotiations with alien worlds would find that all of the Water Caste's offers are truly desireable, and the cost is not unreasonable, and.... yeah.. they cant really say no, or squeeze any extra, or skim any off the top, as the Tau diplomats are sooo well versed in negotiation that any and all ploys are seen and countered. Honorable. Yet getting what they want. The Utopian way.

Quote:
I offer anyone who claims to hate anime to rent the dvd Appleseed and just give it a chance. Its not Tau, its not Battlemech, but you will spot the inspiration for the crisis suit in there and in a way the stealth suit as well, guaranteed. And its awesome. And yes, it is Anime. Robotech: Macross is also the grand daddy of Anime, and is the style of Anime that I personally can stomach... most of the other stuff is Schoolgirl exploitation style bubblegum junk that most people lable as Anime... but yes, there is some gold out there.
Old 10 Apr 2007, 01:09   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
This has actually happened to the Imperium of Man in their 40k history... this in fact is what caused the 'dark age of humanity'... "Iron men" (AIs) rebelled against "Golden men" (dunno exactly), and the machines and computers turned on the imperium and caused much death - and more importantly; a deep distrust of machinery and computers for many many thousands of years to come. The Tau, however, have a thing called the "Greater Good", and its not just a motto, its an actual way of life. It seems reasonable that Drone intellingences would also have this Greater Good instilled in them upon construction, and it wouldnt be a set of rules that could be fought against or shaken off... nope, it would simply be the basic reason for being. So a rebellion would be very unlikely.
So basically like the three laws of robotics. Ah how I love Asimov. But what if the only way to protect the tau (carry out the greatest good) is to rule the tau? I can definetly see how a rebellion could come about especially if the protection of tau lives is programmed into the AI.
Old 10 Apr 2007, 01:26   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Quote:
I offer anyone who claims to hate anime to rent the dvd Appleseed and just give it a chance. Its not Tau, its not Battlemech, but you will spot the inspiration for the crisis suit in there and in a way the stealth suit as well, guaranteed. And its awesome. And yes, it is Anime. Robotech: Macross is also the grand daddy of Anime, and is the style of Anime that I personally can stomach... most of the other stuff is Schoolgirl exploitation style bubblegum junk that most people lable as Anime... but yes, there is some gold out there.
Very well put Calaban,I hate that darned new "bubblegum,school-girl shluck",I happen to think Applseed is one of the finest classic anime out there.
I'm glad someone finally differentiated the different forms of anime.

Gebann
gebann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2007, 02:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

just a little bit of info for keeping this from going off track

for question 2 (drones attack/take over tau) enderda seems to have somewhat of the right idea. (i forgot how much more sci-fi i watch/read/listen to then the rest of humanity) in the book and movie I-robot an army of robot workers follows it's programming too far to the point where it takes humanity captive to protect it. this is one idea no one seems to think of that i think (since they are programmed to aid the tau and work for the greater good) the drones are more likely to do. so think about this as an option too.

and for question 5 (is honor required to obtain the greater good) so far so good but a few people may get confused by the direction we are going in. what im asking is does the tau empire see honor as a necessity of life for all castes to work toward the greater good? the whole reason i bring up the water caste is that they seem to have little to no need for honor what so ever. if any thing the water caste seem to be without honor only fairness and justice. either way do the tau see honor as a way of life or not?
cruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2007, 05:36   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hehe, funny thing is i also hate anime, but love Tau.

And i can't see drones over turning Tau empire, as i'm sure the controllers hold some sort of self - destruct or failsafe for such an occasion

And drones becomeing a list such as kroot merc? Too many parts missing, especially HQ and Elites
Old 10 Apr 2007, 09:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

*I think Khanaris deserves some praise for bringing up Tachikomas. Ghost in the Shell is awesome.*

On drones, Tau weapons are rigged so that they won't fire on another Tau. Drones would be completely useless if they did decide to cause an uprising, as their weapons would just blow up. However, that does leave frisbee of doom.

But, I doubt it would happen anyway, they are probably programmed somehow to resist it.

Tau media would most probably be propoganda, much like Britain or Germany during the Second World War. Keeps morale high and everybody happy.

And on the note of hating anime, watch Appleseed, Ghost in the Shell (Preferably stand alone complex, my personal favourite) or Code Geass: Lelouch of the rebellion.