Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

T'au translations and other questions
Old 09 Apr 2007, 19:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to rtjones
Default T'au translations and other questions

If some one could please put these words into the tau language it would be very helpfull:
Rule (as in to rule over something)
ruler (as in a ruler of a place)
strong
the

Also i was wandering the rule about castes not being aloud to breed outside of their castes does that apply to the ethereal caste.

Does anyone know the name of the tau emperor and is he part of the ethereal caste if not whichone is he part of. and the finall question is would the emperor of the tau empire be aloud to choose his bride form which ever caste he wants.

I am trying to come up with the back ground for my armies genreal and i want to make him have royal heritage some i am trying to work out how he could me related the the emperor and still fight in the fire caste.

Answers to any of my questions would be very helpfull.
rtjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2007, 19:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to BobTD
Default Re: T'au translations and other qustions

a quote in the tau codex mentions "to his Ethereal Majesty, Aun'O Bork'An Vral, my master"

that answers two of your questions. Reading more of the codex you will find that the casts not only stay where they are, but pretty much live separately, as well as seeming relatively physically different from the art in the codex. the closest casts I can see are the earth and water cast. I don't remember if the codex said they never cross between the cast system in general, but I doubt they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vilest Worm
In Russia they have the government-sponsored "sex week" and it is the best holiday there is. I don't think it's even about growing the country, Russia just knows what's up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanderBleek
Bob, you're either a comic genius or just really, really...yeah.
BobTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2007, 20:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

The Ruler of the Tau is Aun'va, not Aun'O Bork'An Vral.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Serious?
Dark Ace Cypher with the power of cliffing!
[quote=TheCuriousMonke]
[b]"You must bake muffins for the Greater Good."[/
Ace cipher zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2007, 20:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hmmm. well Elan is the Tau word for Strong, and rule?
well rule denotes command, so Tol- however it also means to dominate, the Tau seem to denote purpose with a lot of what they do- so maybe Ko'tol= rule, literally it would mean the 'worthy command'

no its not Cipher- the head of the first phase colonies is a Aun'O Kath'lan
Old 09 Apr 2007, 20:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Taukki

Rule= See calmsword
ruler= you could us the end 'O as in Shas'o which means highest rank/commander.
Strong= See calmsword
the= not all languages use an equvalent to "the" or "a/an". It could be that Tau doesn't either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valar
What's going on here? I've seen a kid, breasts, chopped eels, and a naked girl :P

Taukki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2007, 21:18   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: T'au translations and other questions

The Tau are an Empire, but they do not actually have an Emperor as such. There is an Ethereal who presides over a council of his peers, and that council forms the highest level of Tau government. But the position is apparently neither permanent nor hereditary. The Tau are almost invariably ruled by committee. And as far as we know, Ethereals are no more likely to breed outside their own caste than the others.

So there really isn't any good way to have a Fire Caste Crisis commander descended from any of the upper tiers of the Tau leadership. The best you can do is to have him descended from one of the more illustrious Shas on the Shas'ar'Tol, such as Puretide or Longknife. Some Ethereals, such as Aun'shi, are more likely to fight alongside the Shas than others among their brethren. Unfortunately, with Aun'shi gone from the codex, such characters are a little harder to represent. And they would not be likely to use battlesuits.

I wouldn't worry about "the". Name suffixes carry that meaning implicitly in the Tau Language. Thus, shovah means "farsighted" when used alone, but "The farsighted" (or "he who is farsighted) when used in a name.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2007, 22:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to rtjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
The Tau are an Empire, but they do not actually have an Emperor as such. There is an Ethereal who presides over a council of his peers, and that council forms the highest level of Tau government. But the position is apparently neither permanent nor hereditary. The Tau are almost invariably ruled by committee. And as far as we know, Ethereals are no more likely to breed outside their own caste than the others.

So there really isn't any good way to have a Fire Caste Crisis commander descended from any of the upper tiers of the Tau leadership. The best you can do is to have him descended from one of the more illustrious Shas on the Shas'ar'Tol, such as Puretide or Longknife. Some Ethereals, such as Aun'shi, are more likely to fight alongside the Shas than others among their brethren. Unfortunately, with Aun'shi gone from the codex, such characters are a little harder to represent. And they would not be likely to use battlesuits.

I wouldn't worry about "the". Name suffixes carry that meaning implicitly in the Tau Language. Thus, shovah means "farsighted" when used alone, but "The farsighted" (or "he who is farsighted) when used in a name.
wow thanks that really answered my question(s) and some others that i was going to ask.
rtjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2007, 00:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Aun'shi can still be used with teh rules from the old codex, check him out on GW online he's still alive and kicking
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2007, 01:42   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majonga
Aun'shi can still be used with teh rules from the old codex, check him out on GW online he's still alive and kicking
What are you on about? You can use the model with the new Ethereal rules, but the old rules for Aun'shi are no longer a part of the game. That is all that GW's website tells you.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2007, 09:31   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well really, Aun'Va is like the closesest thing to a tau emperor as the ethereal caste are the leaders, and he leads the ethereal caste. And i suppose shadowsun could sort of be a leader.
Knowledge is power. Bide it at will.
There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt
A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn.
What is victory? Is it to defeat your enemy on the field of battle? Is it to simply repulse his armies and slay his misguided warriors? No, this is only the very beginning!
A hundred thousand worlds, ten hundred thousand wars. There is no respite, there is nowhere to hide. Across the galaxy there is only war.

LOTS of quotes for 40k fans!
commander_oshovah is offline   Reply With Quote