Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sept Colours and Markings
Old 09 Apr 2007, 14:03   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Sept Colours and Markings

As I'm completing the painting of my Fish (man, last time I get the bright Idea to do a tricolour urban/winter tiger stripe camo scheme!) I've been trying to find out the information on the sept markings and colours. Since I'm going to paint my army to be one cohesive unit that is a Mechanized Winter/Arctic Urban unit (fluffy enough? Or should I detail more?), I wanted to pick a sept that is known for... well basically to be a bunch of pig headed soldiers who will just keep fighting because they don't want to lose. Hence why I choose the Fi'Rios Sept.

However, I can't seem to find any information on the "official" colours for the sept, I even asked at my local GW shop (the answer was "just don't use any of the existing colours.... oh and check tauonline.org").

I'm also a bit confused about the sept markings, what marking denotes what? If anything at all? I looked through the codex for this info, but either it's not in there or I just didn't see it.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 09 Apr 2007, 16:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Sept Colours and Markings

The best thing would be to just use another sept. Fri'ios hsn't yet gotten a distinctive culture and is made up of FWs from other septs. If you find another color for Fri'ios, just paint over it, like actual Tau would do, and make it more realistic! For the base sept, I'd suggest the Vior'la red, as my sept is the best!!!!! ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Serious?
Dark Ace Cypher with the power of cliffing!
[quote=TheCuriousMonke]
[b]"You must bake muffins for the Greater Good."[/
Ace cipher zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2007, 16:04   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace cipher zer0
The best thing would be to just use another sept. Fri'ios hasn't yet gotten a distinctive culture and is made up of FWs from other Sept's. If you find another color for Fri'ios, just paint over it, like actual Tau would do, and make it more realistic! For the base sept, I'd suggest the Vior'la red, as my sept is the best!!!!! ;D
Ahhh Interesting sayeth the newbie. So... fluff wise would it fit to have my unit have a "temporary" designation until Fri'ios gets all officialized? I would think that since it's made up of Different Sept's, it would be plausible to have a "holding" designation for the troops there.
Old 09 Apr 2007, 16:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Exactly. Good job. I can see you will be very wise. ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Serious?
Dark Ace Cypher with the power of cliffing!
[quote=TheCuriousMonke]
[b]"You must bake muffins for the Greater Good."[/
Ace cipher zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2007, 16:31   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

That makes life a lot easier on my end. Now.... does anyone know what the markings mean? The markings I'm talking about are the ones on the side of the helmet or on the vehicles.

Hrmm or does the above apply to them as well? Just make something up as a "in limbo" marking....
Old 09 Apr 2007, 17:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

There is an official sept colour for Fi'rios but we just don't know it yet. But, as said, being 3rd sphere, there will be a lot of other septs in the area, as well. T'au, Dal'Yth, Sa'Cea and Vior'la would be the main ones in that area. Basically the markings on the guns/helmets are indicators of squad. Basically, just make all the markings in each squad look the same, and you'll be set, they can change from one squad to the other. So if you want to go real simple, for your first squad do one line, for the second do two and so on. You can get more intricate if you like, but in concept, you can just do a simple one stripe/two stripes/three stripes etc...
orion549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2007, 17:11   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

ahhhh!!!! OK, so, the sept markings are akin to our present day Unit Logos. IE the US Navy's HS-15 (Helicopter Antisubmarine Squadron 15) are also known as the Red Lions, and as their logo they have this:

So the lines would be similar to that? Or would it be more of the HS-15 part? I know I'm asking a lot of silly questions, I just want to have the fluff details correct.
Old 10 Apr 2007, 00:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

basically the sept markings tell where they are from, what unit they are in etc. its pretty much like arm badges in da army etc.

also i'd say that i chose fi'rios for pretty much the same reason and since bugger all is said bout fi'rios i just fluffed most of it. for painting i just made the sept color enchanted blue becuase that was the only shade left that wasn't alredy used by another sept. though fluff wise i based all their beliefs and fighting styles on vior'la because it think they have the most in common, also becuase vior'la is the 'second best sept' after Fi'rios
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2007, 20:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Don't even worry about an official sept colour scheme. Paint your Cadre whatever colour you like, their colours could be to reflect the type of terrain they are going to be/or are used to fighting in. ;D