Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Where to go with my army?
Old 09 Apr 2007, 08:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to BobTD
Default Where to go with my army?

Hi, Im a new to 40K and recently collected a fair amount of pre owned tau pieces to build an army. I have spent maybe $200 and so far I have about

24 (usable) fire warriors
3 crisis suites
1 commander crisis suite
1 commander O'shova
29 Kroot
1 Kroot Shaper
14 drones
6 Pathfinders with pulse carbines (two are missing pieces but I figure I can cut usable pieces for them from my extra bits)
2 Kroot hounds that are missing leg pieces that I don’t think I can make easily

And one random Chaos Lord from 2002. As well as the original Tau codex and the original 40K rulebook with the $50 sticker still on it.

I have been painting them and have at least a base coat on half:

(Sorry about the bad pic Im taking these with my laptops built in camera.)

Im thinking about a black and white coloring scheme and made a few examples for myself to get used to painting. I have a slightly steady hand and have always loved putting small characters together (I got a battle master floor game at an early age, which I would love to do some conversions with).

I was wondering about advice and tips people might have for someone that hasn’t really made an army before. I havent even really learned the rules but I did play a few games with someone else’s army and letting them tell me what to do. But I would like to learn.

On a side note I like to win, and Im a huge fan of strategy and play a ton of RTS games.

Im particualrly interested in how to setup my Crisis Suites. I will eventually by broadsides and more vehicles, but I figure if I want to field O'Shova I for smaller battles I have most of what I want. Im not even sure what some of the crazy pewter weapons that came with my commander are. I will post picks of the things I cant identify next time I get the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vilest Worm
In Russia they have the government-sponsored "sex week" and it is the best holiday there is. I don't think it's even about growing the country, Russia just knows what's up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanderBleek
Bob, you're either a comic genius or just really, really...yeah.
BobTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2007, 15:01   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Where to go with my army

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTD
Hi, Im a new to 40K and recently collected a fair amount of pre owned tau pieces to build an army. I have spent maybe $200 and so far I have about

24 (usable) fire warriors
3 crisis suites
1 commander crisis suite
1 commander O'shova
29 Kroot
1 Kroot Shaper
14 drones
6 Pathfinders with pulse carbines (two are missing pieces but I figure I can cut usable pieces for them from my extra bits)
2 Kroot hounds that are missing leg pieces that I don’t think I can make easily
That is a fair good force to start wioth if you want to go hybrid. With a few hammerhads and a transport for your pathfinders, you can hav at least a 1500 pts to game with.

Quote:
As well as the original Tau codex and the original 40K rulebook with the $50 sticker still on it.
Well, the 4th edition rulebook is vital, buit so is the codex. You better get yourself the new tau codex.

Quote:
I have been painting them and have at least a base coat on half:

(Sorry about the bad pic Im taking these with my laptops built in camera.)

Im thinking about a black and white coloring scheme and made a few examples for myself to get used to painting. I have a slightly steady hand and have always loved putting small characters together (I got a battle master floor game at an early age, which I would love to do some conversions with).

No worries about the pictures, they are clear enough.

Hey your painting is pretty good, and your white looks very smooth. If you like this scheme, go with it.

Quote:
I was wondering about advice and tips people might have for someone that hasn’t really made an army before. I havent even really learned the rules but I did play a few games with someone else’s army and letting them tell me what to do. But I would like to learn.
Well, for starters each army have atheir own strengths and weaknesses. For the Tau their strenghts would be their mobility and their firepower, and their weaknesss would be that they fare bad in close combat. For Tau there are 3 broad types of army that you can make (with exception of farsight) which are

1. Mech
2.Static
3.Hybrid:

Each of this is best explained by Olannon

1. Mech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olannon
Mechanised Tau is, and have always been, about mobility and firepower. The mobility of the Tau elements provides us with one of the most evasive and dangerous combinations in Warhammer 40,000. A Mechanised Tau list foregoes a degree of the sheer firepower found in for example Broadside suits, but instead gains survivability and mobility.

One of the Mechanised Tau armies main strengths lies in Victory Points denial. As most missions played these days give points for kills and then whatever the objective of the mission might be, denial is important. This means that a well played mech tau list really is not giving up many kill points, which gives you an advantage. Some players say that playing Tau is all about applying the right firepower at the right time against the correct target. A Mechanised Tau list is the best way to do this.

It is also worth mentioning that there are, in general, 2 main ways of Mechanised Tau approach. One, called the 'Pure' approach, has no elements in it that cannot move at least 12" a turn. The other approach allows slower elements as well, mainly Kroot (due to their infiltration rule). Whatever way you decide to field a Mechanised Tau army, it will be among the most mobile, evasive and powerful Mechanised lists you can find. Packing skimmers with S10 guns, S6 non-scattering big templates, battlesuits able to move in every assault phase, basic troopers with pulse rifles in safe transports. Fluffwise a Mechanised army might always drop to battle from a Manta Missile Destroyer. Who would not like the sight of that?
2. Static
Quote:

A Static Tau list wants to include as many big guns as possible. The intent is to pack as much sheer firepower as possible, to then watch your enemy shatter himself approaching your lines. As the Codex is now, a 100% pure static list is impossible due to the Commander requirement (unless you play combat patrol).

However, a list with only static elements and a Commander would still be considered Static for our intent. The mandatory Commander can for example be used as a leadership provider. Being able to pick the right targets is essential. A Shas'o with a Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Command and Control Node and Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker (for example) will provide you with some nast weapons and a reliable line (when it comes to target priority tests). His IC status should keep him alive from shooting; mobility should keep him out of close combat.

Static players love lines of troops assembled, ready to fire. And to be honest, would we not all like to at least try 70 Fire Warriors and 9 Broadsides in only 1500pts? Foregoing the awesome mobility and evasiveness of a Mechanised list, the Static players gain mainly 2 things:
-1. More big guns!
-2. More models (tanks and battlesuits are expensive)
Do you like the feel of a static gunline with loads of powerful weapons, troops standing ready in ranks? Static is the way for you.
3.Hybrid
Quote:

The Tau armies dubbed 'Hybrid' seek the best of both worlds. Combining the mobility and evasiveness of Mechanised with the guns and model count of Static, these players want it all. And why would you not want it? Instead of the pure lists, you can have a mix, which basically means you can have whatever you want! Hammerheads skimming along Broadsides, Crisis suits backing up static infantry, Vespid assisting Sniper Drones and Piranhas diving in the enemy flank.

A Hybrid approach can either be a focus of either of the two pure variants (Mechanised or Static), or it could be an equal mix. For some players, Static armies with a few Mechanised elements is the way to go; others prefer Mechanized focus with perhaps a few Broadsides for the added Static power. Some players in turn take an equal mix. Hybrid is the most versatile way to play Tau, as there are no 'rules' as to what you can take (eg, Mechanised lists do not have Broadsides).

The addition of the Advanced Stabilisation System and the Sniper Drones among other things, have made Hybrid a more attractive playstyle to many players. The new Codex has made the different approaches to Tau playstyles more or less equal, whereas in the old Codex most people thought Mechanised (or a strong Mechanised focus Hybrid list) was the way to go. Hybrid, however, has always been the preference of some players, and today the style is even more valid due to the new options and equipment. Can you not decide whether to take Hammerheads or Broadsides? Devilfish mounted Fire Warriors or Static? Don't; take them all in a Hybrid list!
With this broad styles, you just have to playtest and stuff like that to find out the right one for you. Each army is different, even though they may be categorised in the same group. For example, One mech army have lots of piranhas but no battlesuits, while another have alot of battlesuits without any pirahnas at all.

Quote:
Im particualrly interested in how to setup my Crisis Suites. I will eventually by broadsides and more vehicles, but I figure if I want to field O'Shova I for smaller battles I have most of what I want.
One warning from almost all of us here in TO; better use a normal Commander than o'shovah the reason being that he is harder to use than a normal crisis suit commander. In addition he also limits what you can have in your army. Not a good thin for a beginner. And you can only use him in larger point games, 1500 pts and above to be exact.

Thus my suggestion would be to convert and use O'shovah as your Crisis suit commander. He will look pretty good and also you can alternate between a normal XV 8 commander and O'shovah.

Well there are several ways in which you can arm your crisis suits. It depends on how you envisioned your crisis suits to perform on the battlefield. Here are some of the configurations that you can use;

FIreKnife: Plasma rifle, Missile Pod, Multitracker
DeathRain: Twin-linked missile pod
Sunforge: Twin-linked fuson blaster
Burning Eye: Twinlinked Plasma rifle
Helios: Fusion Blaster, Plasma rifle, Multitracker

There are others, but this are the ones that people usually use on you normal crisis suit.

Quote:
Im not even sure what some of the crazy pewter weapons that came with my commander are.
The pewter weapons are the cyclonic Ion Blaster and the Airburst Fragmentation Projector, CIB and AFB for short respectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2007, 19:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thank you for the compliments on my painting. I know there are a lot of very skilled painters out there I would love to be as good as, but i think taking my time with every piece has made them turn out pretty well for a first attempt. I plan to just paint them slowly and get better.

Ok, looking at the rules when I have a twin linked weapon system like Missile Pods I can still have two support systems or a support system and a weapon other then a third missile pod correct?

And if I convert O'shova to something I can use as a regular commander can he still have that sword that makes him count as a monstrous creature?

Im considering twink linking rapid fire weapons on my crisis suites because of the rule that allows them to move their full distance and still fire normally, from what I understand. Are there any obvious downsides to having a few of these other then the difference in fire power it might present? A few mobile crisis suites with some shields able to jump around the board sound nice.

Im going to want to use some missile pods on at least 2 of the 4 normal crisis suites Im going to field. I figure I can group the two and leave the other two be solo elements to allow them the option of being able to choose different targets. Though since crisis suites dont look very hard to crack for their points value I'm not sure if i should group the missile using suites or my other choice. (which i haven't fully decided on yet)

Quote:
In Russia they have the government-sponsored "sex week" and it is the best holiday there is. I don't think it's even about growing the country, Russia just knows what's up.
Quote:
Old 09 Apr 2007, 19:40   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Personally, I'd go looking for Devilfish/Hammerhead/Skyrays and Pirahnas. If you hadn't noticed already, those three share the same base chasis, so if you're good with small drill bits and rare earth magnets, you can pick up one and put it together so that just by picking up some inexpensive bits and swapping parts, you can have any of the three. Unfortunately, most people tend to just glue all their parts on when they first get them, and so the used skimmers tend to be all glued together. But I'd look for the skimmer tanks and Pirahnas - mobility can be your friend in many a situation.

As for the rulebook, look for the mini-rule book, it tends to run about $20 and still has all the rules as the big $50 monster.
27: Don't be afraid to be the first to resort to violence.
29: Enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy, no more, no less.
35: That which does not kill you has made a tactical error.
36: When the going gets tough, the tough call for close air support.
37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2007, 02:03   #5 (permalink)
Tyr
Shas'Saal

No as I understand it taking a twinlinked weapon takes up two hardpoints (at least with the new codex) leaving you one free.
I personally always feild a deathrain monat (single crisis suit), which is twin linked missle pods and give it a targetting array as it's third hard point. It comes in at a little over 50points and has reliable long range firepower (2 shots at 3+ to hit with rerolls)

As crisis vyper said you want to pick what style of army you are going to play. I personally am a huge fan of mech. Nothing beats deploying 6 or more skimming tanks. Seriously watch your opponents face when you do. >

"I have taken great pains not to laugh at the actions of aliens, nor to weep at them or to hate them, but to understand them."- Aun'shi
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2007, 06:51   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTD
Ok, looking at the rules when I have a twin linked weapon system like Missile Pods I can still have two support systems or a support system and a weapon other then a third missile pod correct?
Well, a crisis suit have three hardpoints. And if you decided to use to twinlinked your missle pod, you have only one slot left as your missilepods have taken two slots.

Quote:
And if I convert O'shova to something I can use as a regular commander can he still have that sword that makes him count as a monstrous creature?
No, you can't. That rule is not exactly valid, as you are working with the first Tau codex. However, his weapon does have the same effect as a monstrous creature and power weapon.

Quote:
Im considering twink linking rapid fire weapons on my crisis suites because of the rule that allows them to move their full distance and still fire normally, from what I understand. Are there any obvious downsides to having a few of these other then the difference in fire power it might present? A few mobile crisis suites with some shields able to jump around the board sound nice.

Im going to want to use some missile pods on at least 2 of the 4 normal crisis suites Im going to field. I figure I can group the two and leave the other two be solo elements to allow them the option of being able to choose different targets. Though since crisis suites dont look very hard to crack for their points value I'm not sure if i should group the missile using suites or my other choice. (which i haven't fully decided on yet)
Well, the only rapid fire weapon on the crisis suit is the plasma rifle (correct me if I am wrong). Plasma rifles are better off as lobne weapons rather than twinlinked in my opinion. Thus it is always better to use deathrains and/or sunforges if you want to twinlink your weapons.

As for shields, well it depends but I personally advice against it. This is because you want them to be cheap, and as you yourself as stated it they are rather vulnerable to strong weapons you wouldn't want to make it a huge point sink. Just make them ice and simple. Personally if you want to put another additional system on the twinlinked crisis suits, it would be better if you put either a flamer or a targeting array. The flamer will give you that last moment shooting against an enemy force that are going to assault it, and hopefully take them out while the targetting array will increase your BS and thus able to hit with more frequency.

The way you organise your crisis suits are perfect if you want them in a team. Two is better than three, as if one of your crisis suits die, you will never go below half strenght.

As for solo element, I would suggest that you make one of them a deepstriker with twinlinked fusion blaster. This will help you to take out those pesky camper tanks where they least expected it. However, I must warn you that you could scatter offboard or land on enemy troops , thus killing the unit. BUt for the risks, i say it is a good buy.

For me I prefer to use the fireknife as they are perfect support troops, able to lay down some serious firepower from afar. But this configuration will sacrifice your accuracy for firepower. But since you have pathfinders this is often negated.

And on the devilfish/hammerhead/skyray stuff, if you plan on using one, I would suggest for you to buy a skyray box. The reason being that the skyray have all the components needed to build a devilfish, hammehead and skyray. Its a good buy if you are not certain on what you want. After you decided on which one suits you bst, then only you go and buy hammerhead boxes or devilfish boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2007, 07:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Awesome, thank you for the info.

Its going to take me me maybe a week or two to finish painting, I have collage and lots of intense hanging out to do, and byt the time I finish painint a model I have spent 2-3 hours on it and its 1a.m. so I will have plenty of time to think over my options.

If I run into anything that seems unclear I will be sure to ask, I have received excellent advice so far.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10 Apr 2007, 20:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

I suggest using the skyray/hammerhead interchangeably, but NOT the DF for a few reasons.

First off, the DF box saves you a coupla bucks.

Secondly, its not unusual to take hammerheads/skyrays AND devilfish. HHs and rays are more of an either/or thing.

Thirdly, skyray box doesn't come with drones. DF does. Small point, though.

Fourth, Less replaceable parts. Some people are all about modular, I like it to a degree, but I dont really want to lose bits, either.

That said, skimmers are a great addition to your army. Also, definitely pick up the codex.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote