Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Stealth Suits, mixed XV15 and XV25 unit?
Old 09 Apr 2007, 01:01   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Stealth Suits, mixed XV15 and XV25 unit?

Alrighty, a friend of mine and I are having a silly argument, and I'm interested in seeing what the larger Tau community has to say. Without revealing my stance and creating any bias until after I've seen some responses, please answer me this question, using whatever fluff or opinions you can to justify your answer.

Thanks.

Do you think it makes sense for the Tau to have a Stealth Suit unit that has members with both the older XV15 suits and the newer XV25 ones?

I await your answers, thanks again.
Commander Lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2007, 01:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Stealth Suits, mixed XV15 and XV25 unit?

Yes, it could be that the XV-25's are limited, so only team leaders can get access to them. It could be that some team members are more comfortable using the old XV-15, while other team members make use of the newer XV-25's. Or maybe the roll out, and upgrade to the new suits is slow, so a cadre will only get a limited number to be spread out within thier stealth teams, i.e. not enough XV-25's to go around.
Old 09 Apr 2007, 01:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I guess it doesn't matter as far as game play goes. They both represent the same thing on the table and they have the same rules. I don't know why anyone would want to use the new suits because they're ugly as sin, but I suppose if you wanted to, you could have a mixed unit. I think that might actually look cool.
Old 09 Apr 2007, 01:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

They have mixed units in DOW. Perhaps the cadre is getting a small trickle of them rather than all at once; or are more comfortable using the xv-15s; or have taken casualties and need stealthsuits, no matter the model. Just make something up, easy enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2007, 01:55   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by waters
I don't know why anyone would want to use the new suits because they're ugly as sin
LMAO. See, that's what cracks me up. I like the new ones because they are plastic, but looks-wise I like the old and new equally. My buddy hates the old ones (so has the opposite opinion of you) and thinks my decision to take a mixed unit and save myself the $40 buying a new box is stupid, and contrary to the spirit of the Tau.

I have three new suits that I got for $12 from a friend, and two old ones I'm getting cheap from another (the same buddy who doesn't like them). I think the mixed unit is perfectly fine fluffwise, for all the points you guys have already mentioned, and I do think it would look cool. I was just really curious to see what others would think.

Thanks guys.
Old 09 Apr 2007, 03:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If you're going to be equipping your Stealths with a support system or a Fusion Blaster, it makes sense to use the new XV25's as there's no easy way to show the wargear on the old XV15 models.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2007, 03:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Quote:
Or maybe the roll out, and upgrade to the new suits is slow, so a cadre will only get a limited number to be spread out within thier stealth teams, i.e. not enough XV-25's to go around.
Yes.

"Contrary to the spirit of the Tau"...I mean really, what? :huh:

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2007, 03:34   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
If you're going to be equipping your Stealths with a support system or a Fusion Blaster, it makes sense to use the new XV25's as there's no easy way to show the wargear on the old XV15 models.
That much is true, the new suits are far more customizable. Since I have a mixed unit, the Team Leader with the fusion blaster is in XV25... there are also two other XV25 suits. The XV15s are filling in as the fourth or fifth man as my army grows in size.

LOL, I can see it in Borat-voice: "There lives Shas'ui Tul'yak'bay. He's still arse'la! I get XV25 stealth armour, he only get XV15. Everybody know it for girls!"
Old 09 Apr 2007, 03:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

I totally agree, it makes perfect sence, for a coupla reasons.

That said, I despise the look of the new suits, and some others do too. Need to trade off my last three new suits, and Im in business.

On the downside, it means I get to convert old suits to have fusion blasters, but IMO, its worth it.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote