Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Names
Old 08 Apr 2007, 19:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to rtjones
Default Tau Names

can some one please tell me some stuff about tau names becasue i want to give my commander i made a unique name.
rtjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 20:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Aunva Drklite
Default Re: Tau Names

try using apostrophes to get a short sound in the name, EG: por'o , alternatively try to get some oriental resources as tau are very similar.

My kit at the moment
Aunva Drklite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 20:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Use the main site and its Tau Xenolexicon. There will be plenty of words there which can be brought together. However be careful as some Tau words are actual phrases in our speak such as 'Mont'au' Which literally means 'War Age' however it also means 'Age of war', 'The Terror' and refers to an event in Tau history.

hence it is often a good idea to check what each syllable means on its own. You don't really have to go to other sources to invent a name up because currently I think there is something like 4500 diffrent permutations in names only from just looking at official GW translations, and some of them are very good.

Finally a commander may have more than one given name, so you can stack these names up, however be careful not to generate a sentence otherwise it really does sound bogus in my opinion.

Like has been already said Tau names are words don't seem to have more than three parts or so.

If you want try putting down some names in English and we will try and translate them into Tau Xenolexicon for you with a description of why it comes out at that word/phrase. Why the commander has that name is up to you however.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 20:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kiznti

Tau names are made up of a caste designation, followed by a rank, followed by the personal name- "Shas'O'Shovah" is a good example- it tells you that the character is in the fire caste, is a high-ranking general, and is known for his farsightedness. The codex explains all of this in more detail on pg 21.

Read the Strange Gazzet. You know you want to!
Kiznti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 23:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
Use the main site and its Tau Xenolexicon. There will be plenty of words there which can be brought together. However be careful as some Tau words are actual phrases in our speak such as 'Mont'au' Which literally means 'War Age' however it also means 'Age of war', 'The Terror' and refers to an event in Tau history.

hence it is often a good idea to check what each syllable means on its own. You don't really have to go to other sources to invent a name up because currently I think there is something like 4500 diffrent permutations in names only from just looking at official GW translations, and some of them are very good.

Finally a commander may have more than one given name, so you can stack these names up, however be careful not to generate a sentence otherwise it really does sound bogus in my opinion.

Like has been already said Tau names are words don't seem to have more than three parts or so.

If you want try putting down some names in English and we will try and translate them into Tau Xenolexicon for you with a description of why it comes out at that word/phrase. Why the commander has that name is up to you however.

Genmotty
Thanks for the help. you said you would translate some english names, well what would the name richard be in tau Xenolexicon.

Also is there any rank higher than 'o (commander)
Old 08 Apr 2007, 23:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kiznti

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjones
Thanks for the help. you said you would translate some english names, well what would the name richard be in tau Xenolexicon.

Also is there any rank higher than 'o (commander)
Richard is old German, meaning "strong ruler" translating into Tau we get... Elan'Tol. Sound good?

The Tau lexicon can be found here: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=1709.0, if you want to pursue it yourself

Read the Strange Gazzet. You know you want to!
Kiznti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 23:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

thanks for the translation and I already knew the meaning of my name. I was also wandering how you make something plural in tau becasue in english all you do is add an s but i dought that would work in tau.
Old 09 Apr 2007, 10:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Tau seems to be genderless (H' means he/she and it), pointing towards a common suffix for plurals. I think you'd probably add the 'H'' in the second letter of the second syllable. (See Nan'sha'is, when Sa'is alone is wind) So...
Elan'Thol (Richard's)(The Thol would probably be more gutteral, like the end of 'with&#39

Though, I'm no expert on Tau language so...

Good to see somebody is giving a personality and a name to their generals. Heh, I just translated my name into Gaelic (I'm already pretty fluent in it, and it bears a lot of the more lyrical tones of Tau) and then linked it to the nearest Tau word I could find, giving me... Plae'Mont.
Old 09 Apr 2007, 13:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Just to let you know I have been using some of my spare time to break down the Tau langugue into each seperate phrase and word so that we can bascally write in the langugue with all the words coming from what Games Workshop has told us of the Tau.

A'bentu Co'go'd Du'vr Mont’au’gue’la,
Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Apr 2007, 17:10   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hmm, what would Defender translate into in T'au?