Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Destroying the Monolith without a Railgun.
Old 08 Apr 2007, 17:18   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Destroying the Monolith without a Railgun.

A friend of mine started playing Necron, an I have not played a game aganist him yet but I just want to be ready for when I do. An as I never played aganist Necron Im not 100% sure on the devistating power the Monolith can bring. It just seems like a nightmare to go aganist. I dont need him Deepstriking a unit right in front of my Fire Warrior squad, we all know how bad Tau are in melee.

Necron was my first army, I played games with them befor (years ago) so I know alittle on what to expect. I stopped playing Necron because I thought they where too badass. (I really did, I got tired of winning every game it was no challange)

So I have alittle experience with the Necron, but none with the Monolith, an my friend just bought one, so the type of person he is it will probley be used in EVERY game. Does anyone know the best way the Tau can destroy one of these monsters? An Im talking without a Railgun? Im under the impression it cannot be done by the Tau. Im a big fan of the Ion Cannon on the Hammerhead so if, lets say I only took one Railgun in the army, but what if it gest destroyed befor I deal with the Monster. Or what if I dont take any. Im wondering how else I can deal with the Monolith. Any ideas? I hope so otherwise Im SOL. Im also not the type that would write up a list for a specific enemy, I like to keep it all universial so taking all Railguns just in case I run into one wont solve the problem.

Any idea on how to tackle one of these or is it just simple as the Tau cant kill a Monolith with no Railgun? Thanks for the help guys.
AdmiralClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 17:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Destroying teh Monolith. An I mean without a Rail gun.

Ion guns are S 7, right? So they can't hurt it. My opinion is that it is as simple as the Tau can't kill (dependably) the Monolith with no railgun.
Old 08 Apr 2007, 17:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

First off, work on your grammar and spelling, makes it easier for us to read.

Secondly, you should know the rules. We need a weapon with at least strength 8, which he have in the form of fusion blasters, seeker missiles, and railguns. Take out the rail guns, that leaves you with fusions and seekers.

You can easily outfit a squadron or two of piranha with fusions and seekers. Get a few marker hits on the monolith, and let fly those missiles. Fusion suits also help, but tend to get shot down pretty quickly. Remember, you need 6's to glance, even with AP 1, he has the skimmer rule (I think) So number of shots is important. And fusions don't get melta versus it, so good luck!

Sarnas
Old 08 Apr 2007, 17:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

Well, before I begin, I would kindly like to reccommend that you use spell check

So, you need a 'Lith dead without a railgun? It's going to be Deep Striking into your Fire Warriors?

GREAT!

Assault it!

That's right. I just told you to assault a monolith with your Fire Warriors. Give them EMP grenades and watch as they actually kill it. Then, proceed to watch your opponent's face. Other than a railgun, this is, in my opinion, the most reliable way to kill a Monolith in the Tau arsenal. They're relatively cheap, too!

Fusion suits and seeker missiles have the capability to hurt a 'Lith, but they are relatively unreliable when not used in numbers. (As you probably know, weapons don't get to use the Melta rule when firing at a monolith)

That's my 2 cents.

EDIT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'el Sarnas
Remember, you need 6's to glance, even with AP 1, he has the skimmer rule (I think)
The Monolith counts as a lumbering skimmer of sorts, so it's slow and doesn't get the skimmer rule.

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 17:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It gets the skimmer rule, check the Necron FAQ. The Ponderous rule just means it only moves 6" and is not destroyed if it is immobilized.
Old 08 Apr 2007, 17:49   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Destroying the Monolith without a Railgun.

The Monolith is fairly difficult to kill with EMP grenades, at least until something else immobilizes it. It is still a skimmer, so you still only hit it on a 6. And if you don't kill it, it will make mincemeat of any unit in close proximity to it.

But yeah, that is still the second-best option. The Tau don't have any other weapons that can crack it reliably.

Which really doesn't matter, because the Railgun is about the best weapon in the game at taking them down. So if you want to keep the Ionhead, spring for some Broadsides or a second Railhead.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 17:56   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I should have fixed my spelling. I usually make the post, then reread it, then go back an modify my post. It should have been OK, I don't think I have anything spelled wrong. An sometimes I just make small mistakes from trying to type fast than I actually can.

I was told that Fusion Blasters had no effect at all when attacking the Monolith. So what do I get exactly, just the STR 8 hit with NO 2d6 when penetrating the armor. I could work with that.

As for EMP grenades. I was also told that you could not assult it since it is a skimmer an hovers above the ground. Is that not true? If I can use them than that made it a little easier for me.

An thanks to 40kenthusiast I was just informed that it is not destroyed from being Immobilized, that sucks big time. Like thy couldn't make it harder to kill. I think I'm going to have a hard time taking it down.

Are there any ways to avoid the Monolith?
AdmiralClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 18:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
It gets the skimmer rule, check the Necron FAQ. The Ponderous rule just means it only moves 6" and is not destroyed if it is immobilized.
Right, but since it cannot move more than 6", it cannot gain the 'glace-only' rule that skimmers gain.

Quote:
I was told that Fusion Blasters had no effect at all when attacking the Monolith. So what do I get exactly, just the STR 8 hit with NO 2d6 when penetrating the armor. I could work with that.
You don't roll the extra D6. When you hit with a fusion blaster, you'll still get to roll 1D6 for penetration. Now, if you combine this fact with the above, you'll note that a glace of AP1 becomes a penetrating hit, so you can get penetrating hits with fusion blasters.

Quote:
As for EMP grenades. I was also told that you could not assult it since it is a skimmer an hovers above the ground. Is that not true? If I can use them than that made it a little easier for me.
As for EMPs, they'll work fine too. You need a 6 to hit and then a 4 or better to do something. If 12 fire warriors attack, statistically you'll get a glancing, and even a penetrating hit every so often. It's crude, but eventually it should work.

Arctic Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 18:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ah, sorry, I thought you meant the needing a 6 to hit in melee, which it does get, and not the downgrading of penetrates to glances, which it doesn't get. You need penetrates too, because its special rules mean that most of the glance results are useless.
Old 08 Apr 2007, 19:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

One option if you have them available is to take a few squads of gue'vesa (guardsmen auxillary at this site http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...uxiliaries.htm). Give them emp grenades and spread them out in front f your lines. They form a nice meat shield against every thing. The necrons still have to pass target priority to shoot your FW's and have to assualt the gaurdsmen before they can get to your main force. Plus even with emp grenades they still cost only 9 points which is less then an unupgraded FW. The only thing is you will need to have some thing you can use as the gue'vesa. I know a guy who uses his empire handgunners as gue'vesa so as long ass your opponent is okay with it try proxying some in.
ZaruTal is offline   Reply With Quote