Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

To put the positional relay or not....
Old 08 Apr 2007, 16:53   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default To put the positional relay or not....

I am joining this grand tournament in my gaming centre, and I am one of the three Tau player. And I can say that from what I see, I am arguably the only mech tau player. The tournament is a 1750 points cleanse game, with the gamma and omega rules applied to the game.

I have made my 1750 points game, and I fall short of 25 points. As I looked into the codex trying to fill in the gap, I noticed the Positional relay. For something that cost 15 points I can have an edge in the Reserve rolls, and able to control what unit I wanted in. However, the only possible place that I can put the positionla relay is on one of my XV8 squads, and I have to upgrade one of them to become a shas'vre to take the item.

And now I am faced with a dilemma; to take it or not to take it. On one hand, I could actually control what unit I want to appear on the table, on the other hand I will have to beef up one suqad to be quite expensive for that one upgrade that may or may not influence the entire game.

What are your take in regards to this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 17:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: To put the positional relay or not....

i strongly suggest you take it, especially is your sure deepstrike applies. this also comes in handy when you have pathfinders, because you can use their marker becon for a percise and timely landing.
dragoniccam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 18:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

It only accelerates your DSing units if you only have one unit coming in. With several, it acts as a delay, if you use it. It offers a little control, but at a heavy cost.

If you need to burn 15 points on an XV-8 squad, I highly reccomend a shield drone.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 18:13   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
It only accelerates your DSing units if you only have one unit coming in. With several, it acts as a delay, if you use it. It offers a little control, but at a heavy cost.

If you need to burn 15 points on an XV-8 squad, I highly reccomend a shield drone.
The thing is that I have no deepstrikers. That's one of the dillemas I faced as well. Since in a Omega level game, everything from vehicles to troops are off the table.....so I was just thinking about it. Hm, tyndmyr interesting view. What do you mean by a heavy cost?

As for the shield drones, I think I will refrain from it as I have two crisis suit per squad. I just don't want to run off the table just because my drone died and causes a flee response in them. But I will think about it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 18:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well, first, theres the point cost. Second, while you get a 2+ roll on one unit, you cannot roll on ANY of the others. So, if you have four units waiting to come in...sure, you can control which one you want, but overall, you are getting less units in, which can definitely hurt. The more units you have in reserves, the worst this cost is.

The big problem is...if you dont use it at first because you DO have lots of stuff in reserve, later, the advantage it provides is small-non existant.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Old 08 Apr 2007, 18:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
Well, first, theres the point cost. Second, while you get a 2+ roll on one unit, you cannot roll on ANY of the others. So, if you have four units waiting to come in...sure, you can control which one you want, but overall, you are getting less units in, which can definitely hurt. The more units you have in reserves, the worst this cost is.
It gives you control to get a specific unit out, and also to limit how many units are coming in. You can chose to not employ the Positional Relay - meaning that, if you play your cards right, you could suddenly dump a bunch of units on the table in the late game.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 19:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

i thought it was 1 unit per turn that came in on a 2+, not 1 unit for the entire game...
dragoniccam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 20:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoniccam
i thought it was 1 unit per turn that came in on a 2+, not 1 unit for the entire game...
Yes, you're right.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Old 09 Apr 2007, 03:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoniccam
This is correct. However, with 1750 points, I presume he's going to want more than one unit a turn to come in.

Dumping many units late game is a bad idea. That means you've been dumping small, sacrificial units on all game and giving him free vp. Also, he's probably been able to position himself however he wants, which, depending on objectives, could be very bad. You come in late game with a lot of distance to make up in very little time. Also, it increases the risk of a unit not coming in all game, which honestly, just sucks.

Old 09 Apr 2007, 03:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Just saying - it's an unconventional option.