Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fluff: Picking a sept.
Old 07 Apr 2007, 16:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Fluff: Picking a sept.

Yeah, Im horrible. I never actually bothered to pick a sept, but recently, Ive felt myself a bit drawn to fluffily justify my armies existance....

So, my main colors are enchanted blue/chaos black, with of course, a wide variety of other colors for detailing. Heavy amounts of gue'vesa used(which is making me want to tie it into the Taros campaign), as well as a ton of kroot. No vespid.

Rough army structure of stuff I actually field(as opposed to sitting in boxes) is as follows:
2x Shas'Os
3x Etherials
8x XV-8s
12x Stealths
3x Sniper Teams
3x Hammerheads
1x Broadside(oh, trust me, this'll change)
4x full kroot mobs
4x full Gue'vsa squads
8-10x full FW teams(Um...anyone need firewarriors?)
5x full Gun Drone Squads
2x full pathfinder teams
2x Devilfish

The reason this is important is because I'm thinking of this as an expeditionary force, outside of tau space(easier to justify killing everyone), and I'd like to take a sept that is both likely to use my colors and would likely be selected for such a task. Suggestions?

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2007, 16:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Fluff: Picking a sept.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....
When you say your "main colors are enchanted blue/chaos black", does that mean the sept markings (Behind the T'au shoulder ensignia, on the little antenna things and on the side of the guns? Because each sept has their own color, although I suppose they might change the color for a large expeditionary force. For example, my force is from Ke'Lshan (Sp?) which is golden yellow.

Looking through the 'dex, I think maybe Ksi'm'yen? It's third sphere, was captured from the Imperium (hence the Gue'vesa), and the forces that attacked it were from many other septs. It also says that is was captured largely by stalth, and you do have a fair bi tof stealth teams in there. Personally I think that's your best bet.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2007, 17:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Going purely on the numbers of auxiliaries you've got there, I'd go for Dal'yth, or perhaps one of the 3rd sphere colonies.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2007, 17:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasrkin
Going purely on the numbers of auxiliaries you've got there, I'd go for Dal'yth, or perhaps one of the 3rd sphere colonies.
He's only got 8 Auxilleries and 10 FW... :-\. I'm thinkin Ksi'm'yen, especially since that he can have any sept color as its undefined.
Old 07 Apr 2007, 19:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Sept markings aren't EDIT: the only colors Tau wear. Like the IG, Tau wear camo, and Ethereals can mandate uniforms. You could really chose any sept you want!
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2007, 20:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott
Sept markings aren't colors Tau wear. Like the IG, Tau wear camo, and Ethereals can mandate uniforms. You could really chose any sept you want!
But the gun, antenna, and color-behind-the-tau markings are sept specific, and if he put those on, then hes kinda limited. The acutal camo color, though, as you stated, can be anything.
Old 07 Apr 2007, 22:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'd go for Dal'Yth or K'Syi'Men.
Or... you could do what I did and have a force patched together from Tau all over the Empire. Mine were those selected because they weren't taken in the third sphere expansion, and were selected by a commander as a true auxillary force, boosting the Empire and its allies wherever needed across the Galaxy.
Old 07 Apr 2007, 22:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

But the gun, antenna, and color-behind-the-tau markings are sept specific, and if he put those on, then hes kinda limited. The acutal camo color, though, as you stated, can be anything.

I think if a Viorla warrior is fighting in a forest, he's going to bend the rules a little bit and not spoil his camo by having a bright red antennae. Somehow I can't imagine Tau being so hung up on ceremony that it puts their soldiers at risk.

So colour isn't really a huge issue in choosing your Sept. The Ethereal is the only one I can think of who would always wear their sept colour (they have to stand up and inspire people, so they aren't really suited for camoflauge anyway).

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Faolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2007, 22:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'd go with Dal'yth, since it's a trade center with other races, where you can find more auxiliaries :
Old 08 Apr 2007, 16:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Like it's been said, if you don't have the Sept markings (the little lines and such) then you could easily go with anything, and I would agree with Dal'Yth (Imperial Purple Sept) or any third sphere (undefined) or if you want to tie it to Taros, then T'au (White) would work, too.

And the Sept markings are so small they won't make much of a difference in being spotted. It's like any decorations in any military, they're so small, it won't make a huge difference. A bright red stripe won't make a difference if it's a couple of inches thick. If it does make the difference, and the sniper has zoomed in enough to see the Sept markings, he can easily see the lenses on the Tau helmet, too.
orion549 is offline   Reply With Quote