Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau army for first game - agaisnt chaos (1500pts)
Closed Thread
Old 12 Feb 2005, 16:50   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Tau army for first game - agaisnt chaos (1500pts)

Hey,

Well I just started a tau army and I've got a game set up for tomorrow against a friend who uses an extremly...well lets say it small and tough. Anyway heres my list, as I just started I can only make a few changes, but I can change the config on the suits:

TOTAL - 1480pts

HQ

Shas'o - 110pts
plasma rifle, missle pod, multi tracker

TROOPS

12x firewarriors (Bonded) - 130pts

ELITES

3x crisis suits - 195pts
3x plasma, missle pod/ multi tracker

3x crisis suits - 195pts
3x plasma, missle pod/ multi tracker

HEAVY

Broadside suit - 75pts
twin railgun, twin smart missle, Multi-tracker

Broadside suit - 75pts

Broadside suit - 75pts

Hammerhead - 175pts
Railgun, Smart missle system, multi tracker, disrpution pod

Hammerhead - 175pts
Railgun, Smart missle system, multi tracker, disrpution pod.

There it is in all its small glory. Now my friend uses tzeench chaos. Uses a fully kitted out deamon prince, two units of nine thousand sons with a sorcerer champ. A maxed out unit of possessed all flying and magicy and two dreads with a load out of special equipment.

My plan is to stay away from him and blast him using the hammerhead to fly about shooting the Dp and posses. The broadsides will try to take out the dreads then focus on the others while the fire warriors shoot at anything they see. the suits will jump about taking out what they can.

Thanks for any advice. Peace out.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 17:00   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Tau army for first game - agaisnt chaos (1500pts)

First of all, you only get three heavy support choices total. That means that the broadsides would have to go in one unit. I am not sure you want to take them, though. I usually like broadsides, but right you now you are fielding 5 railguns. Against 1,500 points of chaos, your enemy is going to run out of tanks very quickly. After that, the Broadsides are not as useful as the Hammerheads. Another unit of Crisis suits would probably be more effective.

Your army is a standard Tau static force. You rely on your opponent being destroyed by your shooting before he can reach your lines. This is not normally a safe assumption, even for Tau. If you get a chance, consider mounting some of your Fire Warrior squads in Devilfish. Reference the FoF sticky for tips on how they can be used. You are going to kill a lot more marines if you can repeatedly attack from rapid-fire range and withdraw, rather than taking potshots at them from maximum range.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 17:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think the broadsides are ok....that's three twin-linked railgun shots and 12 str 5 shots that ignore LOS? that has planty of uses against choas....like slaughtering marines and leaders, not just vehicles.

It's a little light on troop selections, but if it's not a tournament setting where you get graded for comp, that may not be an issue.

You can divide your 2 squads of 3 suits into 3 squads of 2 suits each. More flexible that way, and they'll never be under half-strength, which can be handy.

Why bond the firewarriors? I'd think a shas'ui would be more useful, to keep them from running in the first place. Or drop it altogether, reduce squad size a bit and go for 4 squads of 10 firewarriors.

I think I'd drop the shas'o to a shas'el. You can use the saved points for a couple things....a shas'el with twin-linked plasma and missile pod with hardwired multitracker is cheaper than the fireknife shas'o, and more accurate with the plasma (which is the real marine killer). Or, you can upgrade your crisis squads to have a team-leader with the same setup.....again, getting the plasma more effective will be of great help in fighting chaos.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 21:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

trust me you wont need the 'Sides, I'm looking into playing thousand sons myself, drop the sides for some much needed mobility, sons are slow as it is, but if youre fast it gets even better >. but beware if he takes flamers, an assault heavy bolter is bad juju for Tau ;D
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 12 Feb 2005, 21:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

By the sound of it Broads aren't gonna be used through whole game. Maybe drop for my Fire Warrios. The FoF tactic might not be the best choice in this situation (Well, any IMO) as the Tzeentch aren't going to move to get into combat but rather sit back and shoot down your FWs.

Maybe if you drop the Broads than getting more Crisis instead of FWs, but this list will prbably wipe out the Tzeentch pretty quickly anyway.
I'm tired of being poor, and even worse I'm black
my stomach hurts, so I'm looking for a purse to snatch
Cops give a damn about a negro
pull a trigger, kill a nigger, he's a hero
Givin back to the kids, who the hell cares
one less hungry mouth on the welfare
first ship them dope, let them deal to brothers
give them guns, step back and watch them kill each other
It's time to fight back, that's what Huey said
2 shots in the dark, now Huey's dead I got love for my brothers but we can never go nowhere unless we share with each other we gotta start makin changes learn to see me as a brother instead of 2 distant strangers and that's how it's supposed be how can you tell them take a brother if he's close to me I'd love to go back to when we played as kids but things change, and that's the way it is come on, come on that's just the way it is things will never be the same that's just the way it is, ahh yeah X2 I see no changes all I see is racist faces misplaced hate, makes disgrace the racist we under, I wonder what it takes to make this one better place, let's erase the wasted take the evil out the people, they'll be actin right cuz both black and white are smokin crack tonight and the only time we chill is when we kill each other it's takes skill to be real, time to heal each other and I know it's seems Heaven since we aint ready, to see a black president it aint a secret of a sealed up fact penetentiarys packed, and it's filled with blacks but some things will never change tried to show another way, but ya stayin in the dope game now tell me what's a mother to do? being real don't appeal to the brother in you - yeah - You gotta operate the easy way - I made a G today - but you made it in a sleezy way sellin crack to the kids - I gotta get paid - well hey, well that's the way it is chorus talking ... we gotta make a change it's time for us as a peopl
Old 13 Feb 2005, 05:45   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Ooooh Oooooh, take crisis suits with FB and insta-kill those Tzeench bastards mwahahahaha!!! anyway maybe you should take Devilfish for the FW drop some Broadsides and drop bonding for FW too, and um... thats about it. oh yeah, pray he doesnt have rubric terminators.
Old 13 Feb 2005, 14:18   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I just hade a game agianst choas(slaanesh) and blew them away,even a 255 point lord was hiding.

back to the point i would change one hammerhead to a ion cannon because they drop marines quick.

coun'bei
Old 13 Feb 2005, 20:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Tzeentch Tsons are a combat army when played right, and thay have rhino's so they are not slow, a powerfist hidden behind 16 wounds of Rubric marines is hard to get to ;D. the secret is to play in fishes and use the crisis to MP their rhino's and then they'll be slow so the fish squads will have no problem staying out of range . this is one time where the squad will need to be at 1/3 or 1/2 strength before the fury as if the Asp. champ. has Bolt he'll try to fry the fish, or stand and Rapid fire you (if he's smart he'd ake inferno bolts and Flamers .mmmm blast emplate bolters and heavy bolters galore ;D) lots of plasma is the key here, fusion is questionable as 2 one shot BS3 weapons is usually a bad Idea :P.
go here
Old 13 Feb 2005, 20:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You might drop the Broadsides down to jsut one of them with a couple of shield drones or a genereator. Convert the rest into either more Fire Warriors, some XV15 Stealth Suits or some Devil Fish, in that order. Also, if you aren't going to take any Kroot at all, an Ethereal is a nice investment for the re-rolls, just in case. Cheap for the 50pts they cost versus what they grant you in return. They can be a liability, but in you list you have so much fire power that it likely will be too late byb the time they can concentrate on the Ethereal.
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Old 13 Feb 2005, 21:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

these are 2 wound 3+ save marines, Stealths are @$$, sorry. and do no take an etheral, especially vs. Tsons :P.

but someof the BS do have to go
go here
Closed Thread