Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Suits vs. Fish... Battlesuits or Vehicles?
Old 07 Apr 2007, 03:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Suits vs. Fish... Battlesuits or Vehicles?

This has to have been asked a million times. I looked at the tactica articles a little, but I just wanted to ask a specific question.

I really prefer the BattleSuits to the vehicles. Can a Tau army work without using any of the vehicles? I don't really want to just do the 40K version of a WHF "gunline". The tactica articles seemed to suggest that using a battlesuit heavy army made for a static approach, and that vehicles were absolutly necessary for the more mobile tactics.

So, should I start budgeting now for some "fish"?
Kazadvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2007, 03:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Suits vs. Fish... Battlesuits or Vehicles?

By means, if you like suits better then fish, get more suits. Taking out vehicles lowers the variety you can field, but not your armies strength. Infiltrating Kroot can get you a forward and mobile shooting line, with suits jumping around. If you really want suits, i advise O'shovah. He gives restrictions, but seeing as you don't like tanks, it won't effect you as much. He can have seven bodyguards!

Also, the more suits you have, the more specialized they can be. Say, a team of pure-anti-tank, a unit of fire knives, a unit of deathrains, then your commander.
Old 07 Apr 2007, 06:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

Well, what are your views on Drones?

If you don't like vehicles, then more than likely using Broadsides for anti-tank/TEq, Sniper Drones for anti-MEq, and Gun Drones/static Fire Warriors to take out the regular infantry. With the elites using Stealth Armor and Crisis Suits.

And as above stated, you may want to look into a Farsight army(though Farsight himself is a bit pricey).
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2007, 07:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

The only real problem with going pure no-vehicles is that you lose pretty much all mobility in your heavy choices. That said, broadsides do pop stuff terribly well.

I suggest still getting a single hammerhead, if you're not adverse to them in general. You can run it with any list, and it's a great fire magnet. Also, it has some mobility to kill the odd thing screened from the broadsides.

However, suits are pretty mobile, flexible depending on loadout, and certainly effective. You certainly dont HAVE to have skimmers everywhere(though I enjoy abusing them greatly), and in fact, skimmers and suits mix great should you later change your mind.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2007, 12:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I don't hate the vehicles for any logical reason. It's just that I prefer the look of the battlesuits. And, on the table - the vehicles loom so large - they tend to throw off the scale, if you know what I mean.

But, I don't like the battlesuits so much that I'd sacrifice playablity to limit myself to them.

What about the advanced stabilisation system for the XV88's? I thought about taking the AS-Sys (couldn't use the initials there), upgrading to a team leader, and then adding in the h/w multitracker. That way I can fire both weapon systems at once. I thought for this purpose, I might swap out the Smart Missiles for the Plasma Rifles.

Oh, and the model looks like, and I assume that, both the railguns and the smart missiles are twin linked, even though it doesn't say "twin linked railguns and TWIN LINKED smart missiles".
Kazadvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2007, 16:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Nah, but the SMS gives you four shots, and doesn't require LOS. It's a pretty solid deal, I generally run a MT or a TA(Hw MT and a TA on the team lead) and just leave em in a position with a great field of view. I generally take shield drones in case this requires leaving them in the open.

A.S.S. works...but keep in mind that with no jetpack move, and the vagrancies of the dice, you don't really get a ton of mobility out of em, just enough to adjust lanes of fire a bit. Depends on what you're looking for. Keep in mind that if you have plas as a secondary choice, you can move and fire it.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Old 07 Apr 2007, 16:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

SMS isn't TL'd, it automatically takes up both of the little box thingys. That's why on the hammerhead/DF entry it says Burst Cannons or Gun Drones Or Smart Missile System, not systems.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 07:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

with no vehicles 3 teams of sniper drones and at least one team of 2 broad sides are practically a must. The sniper dones with give long range AP 3 fire and the broadsides can pop just about any vehicle with little effort. Admitidlt though if you take enough suits and arm them with plasma you might be able to skip to snipers but I would keep them as they are great for intimidation factor and the markerlight. Generally a non mechanized army will be static as you are required to have 1+ Firewarriors (or am i thinking just o'shava army here) and without a fish they will be rather slow. If you are going statict set up fire lanes with sniper drone, fire warriors, and broadsides while using your mobile stealths and suits to "herd" them into the lanes.
ZaruTal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2007, 07:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Vehicles arn't necessary for Tau, the Tau just happen to have really good ones. But thier are plenty of alternatives in the Tau list to make up for a lack of vehicles. Gun Drones for mobile troops, Broadsides for anti-tank, etc.

But you do lose mobility a bit. Nothing but Vespids really moves as quickly as a vehicle (battlesuits can keep up, but most of the time they spend thier 2nd jump to hide, not get more movement). Some major things you'll have to look out for as well is that vehicles can't get tied down in close combat, unlike braodside teams :-\, and vehicle don't need to take Target Priority Tests (very helpful in nailing those long range threats). Both of these can quickly stop all your plans if your not careful.
Old 08 Apr 2007, 17:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

The bright side of broadside teams is that, with shield drones...close combat will tie them down, but they die very slowly to all but the most tooled up CC squads. They may not hit often, but 5 str means that when they do, they tend to crush stuff.

Now, this doesn't exactly make them great CC units...but they can at least form an expensive roadblock to safeguard the rest of your units, should it come to that.