Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Commanders joining units - should they, and when?
Old 06 Apr 2007, 17:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Commanders joining units - should they, and when?

Ok, that's the question. Is there ever a tactical situation where I should allow my Commander to join a unit of firewarriors.

I gave him the h/w target lock upgrade, with the thought that if he were ever in the firewarrior unit, I might want him to be able to shoot at a different target than the firewarriors. Or really, I didn't want to waste pulse rifle shots against a hard target that they would almost certainly be unable to wound.

But the more I read, the more it seems that people feel the target lock is a waste of points (not many points though, it's so cheap I still feel like - why not take it anyway - just like the blacksun filter).

People seem to feel that the Commander should not take a bodyguard or drones, and that crisis suits are best deployed in one model units (monats?).

So, is the target lock option that much of a waste?

Kazadvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2007, 18:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Commanders joining units - should they, and when?

Until I run out of elite and HQ spots, my commander will never join a unit. There is no benefit, and only the potential to loose him in a torrent of fire, range sniping, or LOS sniping. Keep your commander as an IC and make sure he's not the closest model.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2007, 18:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Well there is the Drone Swarm Tactic. Full 8 Gun Drone squadron with Commander and 2 Drones attatched taking flack for the rest of the army and when the squadron gets too low in size he can leave. Take a bonding knife and the squadron can regroup even when normally unable. Not a tactic I use a lot but I can see its uses even if they aren't wonderful.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2007, 19:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

they're the best way to make a unit of kroot able to pass leadership tests. Or to keep those all too often shot-up pathfinders alive/in place until the shield drones die(four if both your commander and the unit take em. =)

That said, I don't normally stick em in a unit long term. They may join a unit temporarially if they have drones, to avoid getting shot up individually, but it's strictly a temporary thing, and I don't use that tactic terribly often anyhow. Im not a big fan of the suit retinue, with the exception of farsight.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2007, 02:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'll frequently join my Commander to a unit of 2 Broadsides with 2 Shield Drones. Adding the fifth model means that if I lose a Drone I don't need a morale check. Also, the Commander boosts their leadership for pinning and target priority checks. Just be sure to equip him with a Target Lock and long ranged weapons.

Another perk of joining a Commander to a unit of Shas'la lies in the rules for Accute Senses. Models with this USR confer it to units they join. Therefore, in games with night fight, it can be beneficial to join a Commander to a unit of Pathfinders to give them a re-roll to their night fight spotting checks.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2007, 06:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
I'll frequently join my Commander to a unit of 2 Broadsides with 2 Shield Drones. Adding the fifth model means that if I lose a Drone I don't need a morale check. Also, the Commander boosts their leadership for pinning and target priority checks. Just be sure to equip him with a Target Lock and long ranged weapons.

Another perk of joining a Commander to a unit of Shas'la lies in the rules for Accute Senses. Models with this USR confer it to units they join. Therefore, in games with night fight, it can be beneficial to join a Commander to a unit of Pathfinders to give them a re-roll to their night fight spotting checks.
A commander with Iridium and two shield drones can join a broadside team, allow it to take a heck of a beating, losing the commanders drones first. The high leadership almost guarantees passing the check, and when the commander later wanders off to enjoy his IC status, the broadside unit is in great shape in terms of being a scoring unit and stuff.

Realistically, that many shield drones in one place tends to just result in that unit not being shot at. Which is perfectly ok with me too.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2007, 09:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

can the commanders join the fws in the first place?
i mean, the commanders are wearing XV8 battlesuits( mostly).. thus, they look a bit weird with a squad of non-suited troops...
so are they allowed?

sigged by DRobot

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying". -Oscar Wilde

"When it comes to thought, some people stop at nothing".-unknown

"we're not retreating; we're advancing in another direction"-General Douglas MacArthur
Grey Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2007, 10:25   #8 (permalink)
Tyr
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Knight
i mean, the commanders are wearing XV8 battlesuits( mostly).. thus, they look a bit weird with a squad of non-suited troops...
so are they allowed?
As far as I know there is nothing stopping them. A commander is an independant character.
He is even the same "size" as the unit. Also as he is a commander I don't see any fluff reason he wouldn't join with a squad to add his expertise and leadership to theirs.

Generally speaking I wouldn't do it but I did like the idea of given a pathfinder team acute senses.........
on another note how does a blacksun filter work in a situation like that?

"I have taken great pains not to laugh at the actions of aliens, nor to weep at them or to hate them, but to understand them."- Aun'shi
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2007, 13:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

the blacksun filter only works for the model that has it..
it cannot confer the ability to the whole unit.
so, if one model has a blacksun filter, he shoots seperately..
thanks for clearing up by the way ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Knight
so are they allowed?
As far as I know there is nothing stopping them. A commander is an independant character.
He is even the same "size" as the unit. Also as he is a commander I don't see any fluff reason he wouldn't join with a squad to add his expertise and leadership to theirs.

Generally speaking I wouldn't do it but I did like the idea of given a pathfinder team acute senses.........
on another note how does a blacksun filter work in a situation like that?

sigged by DRobot

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying". -Oscar Wilde

"When it comes to thought, some people stop at nothing".-unknown

"we're not retreating; we're advancing in another direction"-General Douglas MacArthur
Grey Knight is offline   Reply With Quote