Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

kroot mercenary army
Closed Thread
Old 11 Feb 2005, 15:10   #1 (permalink)
Hex
Kroot Warrior

Default kroot mercenary army

i am thinking of making a massive kroot mercenary army so i can swarm enemies any suggestions???
Old 11 Feb 2005, 16:08   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: kroot mercenary army

Play Tyranids?* * I have heard that the kroot mercenary list can be very difficult to use.
Old 11 Feb 2005, 19:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Orion

This is not so. Basically you can have 1st turn assault with kroot. they can infiltrate 12'' away from the enemy well 17-12 depends on your roll and are pretty strong.

They dont have tanks or any super strong guys tho but they can have an extremely fast unit with like 9 chainfists for not that expensive.

Behold the glory of mass str 8 attacks.

"The quiet mouth gets fed last, Ask and you shall recieve"
-Unlimiter-
Old 11 Feb 2005, 21:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I have to admit.. I haven't heard good things for them...

Hail Olianus Pious! Patron Saint of the Imperial Guard! Savior of the Emperor!
Old 11 Feb 2005, 21:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

the kroot list Is the hardest to use,you cant cheese it up like DE and its even harder to get good out of.

the kroot are 8pts each, you have to take shapers and the only antitank is your HQ w/ a meltagun.........hard.

and those kroot have to be 12" away out of LOS to be at 12" so you have to be playing on jungle to get 1st turn.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 11 Feb 2005, 22:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: Somewhere cliché, like... behind you, or in your room maybe. I don't know.

See my poll in "Suggestions"

If you read this sentince, it will tell you nothing.
Old 11 Feb 2005, 22:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompuBrains
See my poll in "Suggestions"
How does your poll relate to this thread? This threads about someone who is thinking about making a 'massive kroot mercenary army', not whether or not there should be a kroot section on the forums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! That’s the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Old 12 Feb 2005, 22:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

'and those kroot have to be 12" away out of LOS to be at 12" so you have to be playing on jungle to get 1st turn.'

With certain equipment, upgrades and items the kroot have access to, you can get a first turn charge, this is best done with an absoloutley monstrous kroot hound squad : 20 kroot w/shaper and 40 kroot hounds.

Still despite this a kroot force is very difficult to use, it has problems when facing decent armour saves and dealing with vehicles.

They do provide a really cool looking (IMO) force that plays quite differently to many other horde armies and also has some interesting units and upgrade options.

Still if i would not suggest the army for people new to the game or if you are concerned about your win/loss record.
Old 14 Feb 2005, 13:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Kroot can shine in situations. That means, jungle environment and infiltration, with first turn and a load of Kroot on the board, with an enemy with a low model count and not much in terms of high armour. Kroot have a chance here.

The Kroot are a very characterful rich army. They can be customized quite extensively and players aren't really rewarded for it, with wins. But they look good going down. Kroot could opperate like Tyranid, but Kroot don't have the heavy hitters or extreme speed that Tyranid have. The reason for that is the tiny little initiative of 3 that they have. Shapers can grab an Eviserator, and saw right through the enemy pretty nicely (loads of attacks on a Shaper). However, his warriors will be swatted like flies and the Shaper then attack, but lose combat because 9 of his warriors died to the 5 marines, which you kill 3 of with your shaper. Sure, you dented those marines, but you lose combat and you're below half strength putting you to ld7--maybe modified from wargear of the enemy. Probably going to run off now, and get swept by the higher initiative army. Tough luck.

So Kroot can be cool and fun. They can win some games. But not every army is going to be easy. Kroot vs Orks is a good game for example. Kroot versus any imperial army is a real problem. Kroot can infiltrate and have first turn, but imperial armies can have Auspex for as cheap as a bolter is, and before the game begins, roast anything that infiltrated, such as the entire Kroot army. Bad first turn for the Kroot as half of them are already falling back due to casualty.

Play Kroot if you want a really cool army that will be the single most challenging thing in 40k you'll attempt (for the time being). Don't play Kroot if you want to win more than half your games.
Old 14 Feb 2005, 20:24   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

the kroot mercenary list is horrible, you must take 8pt kroot (which we dont do as it wastes points on an AS you'll never get) and a Shaper (which is a horrendous waste).

however what is very doable is to make a Tau army with only one FoF as the compulsory FW choice and have the rest of your troops Kroot, it works and it performs reasonably well while having all the strengths of the kroot merc. list and none of the weaknesses, this way you get yuor kroot and you get to win too ;D
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Closed Thread