Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

All right
Old 04 Apr 2007, 00:14   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Commander_Oshove Send a message via MSN to Commander_Oshove Send a message via Yahoo to Commander_Oshove
Default All right

I am a Tau player, I use O'shove, but when I decide to use my Vespin I switch to a regular commander.

I want to know what is the best tactic with my kind of army,

HQ: O'Shove, with body guard
Elite: Crisis battle suit, 1 three man squad of normal stealth units, and 1 three man squad with 2 burst cannons and one fushion
Fast Attack: Vespins
Heavy: 1 squad of sniper drones, 1 Hammer head with railgun
troops: Three 12 man squads of firewarriors.

Will post upgrades and stuff later, I am currently working out.
Old 04 Apr 2007, 01:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Alright

I know it's not what you want to hear immediately, but your list is illegal.

Firstly, it doesn't look like it's 1500 points (which is a requirement for using Farsight), but I could be mistaken - quite easily depending on the size of that bodyguard.
Second, breakaway faction makes Stealth teams 0-1 choices, and you have 2.
However, the real reason it's not legal - the stupidest thing ever written by GW - is that O'Shavah does not count as the 1+ Crisis commander required for a force. Yup, Farsight isn't the leader of the Farsight enclave when he's on the tabletop.

I'm not trying to tear into you or anything, but it's hard to tell you how you should be playing when the list you're using shouldn't actually be fielded.

To start, consider some of the following:
Consolodate the 2 Stealth teams into 1 - While you may not be able to divide fire between multiple targets, you will free up an elite slot, as well as be able to take a loss on the squad without taking leadership. With this in mind, it's an idea to ditch the fusion blaster, and use your new slot to form a dedicated crisis team with a tank-hunting configuration.
If this suits you, a 2 or 3 man squad with twin-linked fusion blasters and a thrid choice is great. If you want more anti-tank, you could go for missile pods (which give you something to shoot while getting to your target), or plasma rifles (which give you a good setup for general armor penetration). You should note that either of the above choices, your second weapon will have a lot 'to hit' average as it primarily focuses on the fusion blasters.
This option also helps take some of the anti-tank pressure off of your lone Hammerhead, which gives you a bit more give in playing.

In lists where you use Vespid, add Pathfinders - The reason behind this is that Vespid aren't amazingly accurate, have a high point cost, and have terrible survivability. I love them, probably more than the next guy, but I accept that they only shine with Pathfinder support. Even a minimal team of 4 will average 2 hits - enough to boost your BS to 5. With Vespid, you need to make those hits count, and cover is obviously the only way to go about the battlefield. Besides, a small uinit of Pathfinders will always benefit the army, giving you a nice skimmer to throw around (which helps with deepstrike, something those above mentioned suits may want to do), as well as boosts Crisis and Fire Warrior performance when the Vespid aren't in position.

Consider 1 or 2 Broadsides - This is an alternative to the first point. An extra railgun or two would service you very well, again helping relax the role of your Hammerhead. The ASS is a prime choice, as always, since that small bit of mobility both gives you flexibility, and forces your opponent to play around their possible positioning.

Really, these are a few starting points. I think the list otherwise is along a balanced composition, though there's given speculation as you haven't listed what the bodyguard or Crisis team have for weaponry.

More help can be offered once we get a bit more info.

Arctic Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2007, 03:38   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Alright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Lancer
Firstly, it doesn't look like it's 1500 points (which is a requirement for using Farsight), but I could be mistaken - quite easily depending on the size of that bodyguard.
Second, breakaway faction makes Stealth teams 0-1 choices, and you have 2.
However, the real reason it's not legal - the stupidest thing ever written by GW - is that O'Shavah does not count as the 1+ Crisis commander required for a force.
Quote:

but when I decide to use my Vespin I switch to a regular commander
Quote:
HQ: O'Shove, with body guard
Elite: Crisis battle suit, 1 three man squad of normal stealth units, and 1 three man squad with 2 burst cannons and one fushion
Fast Attack: Vespids <---Fixed spelling too
Heavy: 1 squad of sniper drones, 1 Hammer head with railgun
troops: Three 12 man squads of firewarriors.

He said he's using a regular army, not a farsight army, as you can see he has vespid as fast attack

Anyways, I personally haven't tested Vespid, but I can safely say keep them back either for an ambush for those tooled up melee types, or advance them through cover, if they get caught in the open, thats alot of pts gone, and with the rest of your list, sounds like your static. I recommend trying out some Devilfishs and Piranha's, maybe you'll like mech tau before you expand, or if you want to stay static, grab some broadsides, actually scratch that, either way grab broadsides. Get to some cover and dig in
Old 04 Apr 2007, 12:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: All right

Quote:
He said he's using a regular army, not a farsight army, as you can see he has vespid as fast attack
Right, but he listed Farsight in that small list he gave. I made my comments on this.

Arctic Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2007, 23:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

One thing I would recommend (as I prefer it myself) is to split up 2 of those 12-man squads into 3 of 8. More flexibilty, and you can throw Markers into those squads and make up a bit for a lack of Pathfinders. Mount the other 12 man, or split that for more markers.
orion549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2007, 03:13   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Commander_Oshove Send a message via MSN to Commander_Oshove Send a message via Yahoo to Commander_Oshove

Alright I understand all of your comments on my army. I only use Vespids when I choose not to use O'shove, this army is also worth 1680 points, its because of the upgrades, like every squad is bonded, every squad has markerlights, every vehicle has been upgraded heavily, and each vehicle (I.E. my Hammer head and Devilfish Forgot to add that. Have been given 4 seeker missels apiece.)

I also use three 12 man firewarrior squads to use one as a reserve, while I send one up into range in my devilfish. My stealth units I use deep strike, though I do not use pathfinders I will be getting those piranhas soon.

I will change my elites to one squad since I did forget that they were a o-1
Old 05 Apr 2007, 03:21   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'm pretty sure the Seeker Missile max on vehicles is 2 (Except Skyray of course)
Old 05 Apr 2007, 03:24   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Nope unless of course thats the new codex... I still have the old, and rely on my friend for info on vespids.
Old 05 Apr 2007, 03:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yeah, it's a new codex thing. I highly suggest you pick up the new codex at some point, there are really an absolute ton of changes, and using the old codex will be very problematic. Its not necessary for many armies(heck, I still have the old edition of the fantasy and 40k rulebooks), but for tau, it really, really is worth it.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2007, 12:45   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Alright. Grcias