Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Questions on Skyrays
Old 03 Apr 2007, 23:42   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Questions on Skyrays

i have to questions the first is basicaly requiring a yes or no answer the second a little more complicated.

1) can each seeker missle only be fired once like a hunter killer or can it be fired multiple times.

2) What are your oppinions on your opponent destroying seeker missles on a skyray?
The rules say they can be destroyed but some people think you choose the whole set of missles as one weapon rather than each missle as a seperate weapon.

i think:
1) hope i can be fired more than once
2) each missle is treated as a seperate weapon
Old 04 Apr 2007, 01:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to comanchieflier
Default Re: Questions on sky rays

They are seperate, and are HK missiles, 1 use only per one
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezing
comanchieflier recieves a mobile phone that can only do "leet speak" messages.
comanchieflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2007, 02:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

1) They are one-time use weapons. 6 shots per base Skyray.

2) I would assume that each missile would be taken off seperately as far as weapon destroyed results go.

Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by comanchieflier
....and are HK missiles....
Err... no. I don't know if you are just reffering to how they are one time use or not, but either way Seekers are WAY different than an HK missile. The firing sequence isn't anything like one. S&AP wise it's the same, though. Not exactly sure what you meant there.

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2007, 02:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Also good to know is that Markerlights can NOT be destroyed!
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2007, 03:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse
Yes. This is most awesome. Weapons have to be S4 or higher to be selected, so you never have to worry about an opponent robbing you of you firing mechanism, only your ammo. Two burst cannon turrets and a targeting array, and that thing can pop off infantry better than a Warfish while still being able to negate tanks (automatic target lock is a nice cake-topper; turn your back to an enemy rhino and start shooting his scouts, and interrupt his laughter by telling him that you just launched two seekers at the vehicle >).
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2007, 10:56   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks guys, and I was only comparing the one shot nature to HK not anything else. I'm glad to know you guys think that each missle would be treated as a seperate weapon, this person I know said he wanted to destroy the whole turret with all 6 of the missles on.
Old 04 Apr 2007, 11:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to halohog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian_Alpha
automatic target lock is a nice cake-topper; turn your back to an enemy rhino and start shooting his scouts, and interrupt his laughter by telling him that you just launched two seekers at the vehicle >
lovely. I gotta try that sometime... >

not to mention the twinray tactic - take two skyrays against a tank-heavy army, get one on either flank and select a tank for demolition. It turns to face one skyray and gets seekered up the tailpipe by the other. ;D

anyone else think that seekers are just markerlight-triggered HK missiles with added accuracy? seeing as the HK has BS 4 to the seeker's 5... Plus you can get many many many times more seekers... 8)

for those going maxed out seekers, get mounted firewarriors for the seekers you can put on the devilfish, squadrons of maxed-out numbers of piranhas balanced with pathfinders, and of course, plenty of skyrays. not many people do this, but it's still viable... if a bit confusing. oh, and marker drones galore of course. :
Old 04 Apr 2007, 11:29   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The missiles are seperate weapons. The wording in the entry says that the Skyray is armed with "six seeker missiles", not "one seeker missile launcher with six shots". So if he tries to destroy the turret, just tell him "actually, that's not a weapon... sorry!"
Commander Lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2007, 13:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian_Alpha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse
Yes. This is most awesome. Weapons have to be S4 or higher to be selected, so you never have to worry about an opponent robbing you of you firing mechanism, only your ammo. Two burst cannon turrets and a targeting array, and that thing can pop off infantry better than a Warfish while still being able to negate tanks (automatic target lock is a nice cake-topper; turn your back to an enemy rhino and start shooting his scouts, and interrupt his laughter by telling him that you just launched two seekers at the vehicle >).
Yes, the seekers are one use weapons. Much like a HK, except that they require a ML hit first(which makes the HK superior IMO).

The only real danger is if you have an SMS...then they can select that. Otherwise, yes, each seeker is a seperate weapon selection.

A skyray is not a better infantry killer than the warfish...when you consider the point cost. Assuming SMS and targetting array, thats seven S5 shots a round from the fish, while the skyray has six, and of course, the seekers. Its a very marginal lead for the skyray until the seekers run dry, at about 35 points higher cost.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2007, 14:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
Yes, the seekers are one use weapons. Much like a HK, except that they require a ML hit first(which makes the HK superior IMO).

The only real danger is if you have an SMS...then they can select that. Otherwise, yes, each seeker is a seperate weapon selection.

A skyray is not a better infantry killer than the warfish...when you consider the point cost. Assuming SMS and targetting array, thats seven S5 shots a round from the fish, while the skyray has six, and of course, the seekers. Its a very marginal lead for the skyray until the seekers run dry, at about 35 points higher cost.
Just keep one thing in mind: Those markerlights are networked, meaning that the tank can benefit from their effects. So comparing a target-arrayed warfish to a target-arrayed burst-ray: 7 BS4 S5 shots vs 2 BS4 Markerlights and 6 BS4 shots.

Just to try to even out the cost, let's give the devilfish some seekers: A difference of 15 points. With a target lock (same as the sky ray) 10 points. And let's just throw that multi tracker on for fun. Dead even

1.) At this points value, the devilfish can go 12 inches and fire, taking advantage of the skimmer rule and unloading fire. The sky ray can only go 6, but has a higher front and side armor.

2.) The devilfish gets more shots, but if the Sky ray uses it's markerlights, it's 6 shots hit at BS5 for about 5 hits, whereas the 7 from the devilfish net you 4, maybe five. Additionally, it can pop off those special characters, as S8 is Instant Death to most armies, and it can get close enough to target the character with it's markerlights. This alone makes for a nasty anti-infantry, with the combination of forced armor saves and no-save body-busters (try using a warfish against crisis suits, then a sky ray, and tell me which one kills them faster).

3.) Unlike the devilfish, the sky ray can launch it's own missiles, and does not need allied markerlighting (though having it can help). As well, it can be used to provide long range support for those other teams that just need one or two markerlights (like broadsides, Rail rifles, hammerheads, or even lowly fire warrior teams).

4.) A single weapon destroyed result against a Warfish deprives it of 4 shots, effectively halving it's effectiveness. THe sky ray, on the other hand, either loses a missile, or loses a burst cannon. In either case, it's not too damaging to the sky ray, as it can flip roles from anti-infantry to anti-tank with ease.

5.) Most importantly, however, is the fact that the sky ray is a scoring unit. It can capture objectives, claim quarters, etc. The devilfish can't. Between the two, I'd willingly sacrifice that Heavy support slot just for that scoring unit role.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote