Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Codex 'Whoopsies': Have you found any?
Old 03 Apr 2007, 17:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Tau Codex 'Whoopsies': Have you found any?

So, for no apparent reason today I decided to take a slightly more dedicated look through our beloved codex. I decided to start investigating some interesting infantry wargear. It was during this process, I found the first 'whoopsie' of the day.
Infantry with access to the armory are allowed to take hard-wired systems (duh), which includes the multitracker. However, there is no individual entry for it, and thus, is supposed to be treated the same as the battlesuit variant. That's great, except the battlesuit mutlitracker states that it "...enables the model to fire two battlesuit weapon systems ...".
My, how useful that is for a Fire Warrior

So, I took a little time to glance around and see if any others like this came up. Of course, this is GW we're talking about, so you know I found a few.

Excluding many of the better known typos, such as the CIB entry, I came up with a few I think are 'new'.
Page 48: By the Kroot Rifle, there is a *4 superscript which isn't defined. There also isn't a *3 anywhere to preceed it. In all likelyhood, this is another issue of something from the original codex that wasn't removed.
Page 63: Both heavy support slots are wrong. The second Broadside doesn't have the manditory support system (while the first does :), and the Skyray doesn't include the points for the SMS.

Now, while I know none of this is crucial information, I was wondering if anyone else had found silly errors like this. I'm sure there isn't much real purpose to this, but then, you never know what you'll find until you look hard enough, right?

*Seems like multitrackers for infantry have as much use as target locks on pirahnas*

Arctic Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2007, 18:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Tau Codex 'Whoopsies': Have you found any?

That now FAQed bit about the CIB. I never knew a creature's T had an effect on AP...
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2007, 18:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Commander Farsight dosen't count as a commander (refering to the 1+ restriction).

The spotter in the Drone sniper team technically should purchase drones from the armory (because that's what a drone controller does).

Technically you can't take 2 of the same drone type (because that would be taking a duplicate item from the armory).

Regular Shas'vre's in Crisis Teams only have access to SI wargear, not support systems and weapons. (note that the Vectored retro-thrusters state they can only be used by an IC or a lone Shas'vre, a clear contradiction).

Technically HQ's in XV-8's and their bodyguard only have access to SI wargear as well. (Read carefully, you'll notice that they actually only refer to SI systems in the wargear list, .)

If an IC takes shield drones, and get's cought in hth, due to using the majority WS, your opponent gets to strike you as if your models had WS2 (IMO those drones should take the same WS as the model thier attached too, as well).

Vehicle mounted drones should technically dismount from the vehicles access points (despite never actually being inside the transport).

Shadowsun's entry states that you man not take any duplicate SI systems that she already has. Yet she has none of the SI systems.

An ethereal can buy a bonding knife ( that should be Fire Caste only, fluff wise anyways).

A kroot with a kroot rifle counts as having an additional ccw (giving him a total of 1 ccw, :).

Their are quite a few funny problems in the codex.
Old 03 Apr 2007, 19:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to halohog

erm... ah... well what with this, badly written GW tactical articles, etc. etc., all we are in fact doing is finding more and more and more problems with the stupidity and madness of all things warhammery >. Except for most of the players . And I've seen a few cases of GW staff not knowing important rules, but i also saw one who got annoyed with people leaning on the table during a local mini-campaign, and smashed half the wounds from the Bad guy's (a motley crew of IG, nids, Dark Eldar (which seem to be a dying race in my area - that's the only time I've ever seen a dedicated collector) and even rogue SM who should have been on the good side ) main fortress thing we were supposed get rid of. We didn't get any shots on the thing, but still...

And speaking of this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange
Shadowsun's entry states that you man not take any duplicate SI systems that she already has. Yet she has none of the SI systems.
I think that is also the case with farsight. It says the same (except replace "shadowsun" with "farsight" and "she" with "he" etc.) and the only thing farsight has that could be considered special issue is the Dawn Blade, but that's because there IS only one, and that is hardly gonna be called special issue is it? OK, so there's probably a few million farsight MODELS floating around, but only one of him, and he is the only one with that god-darn dawn blade! in fact you may as well put a 0-1 limit on even the humble photon grenade the way GW is going... :'(

To finish, someone's sig (can't remember whose) says (or used to say) that GW is very like Microsoft. And, *like* the sig says, may they get things sorted out or be bought out by someone who cares about sorting out details. And that reminds me of someone else's signature mentioning that "'simple rule fix' and 'GW game' are such opposites that it broke my computer screen". In other words, that suggests they couldn't find a word in a story. It's a good game, but there are so many inconsistencies that people are being confused no end. The tactical articles are worst - that they don't even check the bl***y things ONCE shows how much they care about their own game. It's just a bloomin' expensive ripoff sometimes, is warhammer. I have to pay £50 for a battle force, £12 for the codex, and another £30 for a rule book, so £92 just to play legally? No thanks >, but then the megaforce is a massive saving, nearly 40%-50% off, so i might try to get that next Christmas...

Oh, and the multitracker is for those fire warrior/pathfinder shas'ui who take a markerlight but want to shoot simultaneously with their pulse rifle/carbine. Sorry to say this, but it - hey, hang on - it does say they may take a markerlight, right? if so, this works. Otherwise, something is going horribly wrong in GW HQ (maybe the forces of chaos have landed? He He He...). Well, come on, unless there's a big screw up in the line for like the billionth time, a shas'ui with markerlight can fire pulse rifle while helping the squad next door fire more accurately . Makes sense doesn't it? or does it? ???

To sum up in three/four words: I dislike GW :huh:. (so much for that "to finish"... :)
Old 03 Apr 2007, 19:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
A kroot with a kroot rifle counts as having an additional ccw (giving him a total of 1 ccw, :).
Is that a writing miss, or don't they get 2 attacks? As I've always played with them as they would get an additional attack...

MistahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2007, 20:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to gerrylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahG
Quote:
Is that a writing miss, or don't they get 2 attacks? As I've always played with them as they would get an additional attack...
That's the way I've played as well. You can explain it as being that each blade on the rifle counts as a ccw, or that the blades are in addition to firing the rifle in close combat.
Old 03 Apr 2007, 20:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Quote:
I have to pay £50 for a battle force, £12 for the codex, and another £30 for a rule book, so £92 just to play legally? No thanks
In the U.S. we have to pay twice as much, lol...$90 for a battleforce, $20 for a codex, $50 for a rulebook, which comes out at $160 just to start playing. And that's with a fairly tiny "army", too...you'll probably still have to buy an HQ unit seperate. I'm starting to think Warhammer is the most expensive hobby...I know people who fix up their cars (lol Fast and the Furious!!!!1) for less than what we usually spend on freakin' nerdy miniatures. And the shit they spend THEIR money on gets them laid in the end, too. :-\

Anyway, I've seen stuff like that too, looking around hopelessly trying to find an undefined bullet...lol. And would a fire warrior Shas'ui multitracker allow him to fire his weapon and markerlight at the same time then? :P

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2007, 21:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to gerrylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidstyler
Quote:
I have to pay £50 for a battle force, £12 for the codex, and another £30 for a rule book, so £92 just to play legally? No thanks
In the U.S. we have to pay twice as much, lol...$90 for a battleforce, $20 for a codex, $50 for a rulebook, which comes out at $160 just to start playing.
Actually, as it is with almost everything else, in the U.S. we pay far LESS than our British counterparts do. I'm guessing you mistakenly think that 1£ = $1. Actually 1£ = ~$2. So, after conversion, they pay $100 for a battleforce, $24 for a codex, and $60 for a rulebook.
Old 03 Apr 2007, 22:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahG
Kroot have 1 A on their profile. They should get another for having 2 ccw's (from the kroot rifle). Unfortunately, the way the kroot rifle entry is written, it only give an additional ccw to an unarmed kroot.
Old 03 Apr 2007, 23:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

But if the kroot didn't have any close combat weapons they'd still only get one attack. Fire warriors don't have any but they get at least one attack in cc (if they're still alive that is). They do mean that they get two attacks in cc it explains it in the old codex.

Ya and prices in the US are cheaper, at least I know I save money when I go down there to buy stuff. A battle force Canadian is $130 and the rule book is $72. So if you were to buy the battle force in Canada with US dollars it would cost you 112 dollars and the rule book would be 62 US.